22 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2009 4:31 AM by LudaDave

Poor performance playing .mts files in source monitor

LudaDave Level 1
      OK is Adobe really that far behind in writing up some code that can handle AVCHD .mts files? I transfer the .mts files from my camera to the hard drive, access them in PP via the media browser, import them to the project panel and when I try to play any of them back in the source monitor, playback is just plain shoddy, piss poor, horrible. I get some stutter (playback stops for a sec then resumes) but mostly what I notice is allot of noise in the video or pixelation, random blocks of pixels jump all over the video. Sorry I don't know how else to explain. I know that converting the .mts files to a lossless format first is the most common response but then where is the time saved with this whole format? Just curious if anyone has any input or maybe some hardware tweaks that might help.

Hardware:
      AMD 6400+ dual core proc
      6MB RAM
      2 GT8800 512MB GPUs
      Vista 64bit loaded on 1GB 7200 rpm SATA II HD
      Scratch Discs are 4 SATA 80GB 7200rpm in RAID 0
        • 1. Re: Poor performance playing .mts files in source monitor
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          I assume you have made several typo's, since 6 MB RAM is never enough to start the program, let alone use it. Vista can not be loaded on a 1 GB disk. Vista alone is over 15 GB. Where are your media? The AMD CPU is at the bottom of the performance range required. There is no need for 2 GT8800 cards. One is more than enough. AVCHD requires serious muscle to handle efficiently. It looks like your system is way underpowered.
          • 2. Re: Poor performance playing .mts files in source monitor
            Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
            What camera recorded the video? What settings were used during recording?

And Harm is right - a dual-core processor is underpowered for AVCHD playback and editing.
            • 3. Re: Poor performance playing .mts files in source monitor
              LudaDave Level 1
              A few typos yes I meant 1 TB hard drive and 6GB of RAM. The camera is a SONY HDR-SR11 (settings= HD/FQ=High def - full quality) not many other settings to use. But it looks like the consensus is my processor is under powered. I have edited tons of HDV with no issues. No need for dual video cards? I suspected that, which is good to know, I can move one of those cards to my back-up workstation. What processor do you recommend? I can upgrade the processor on my MB, no problem. Thanks guys!
              • 4. Re: Poor performance playing .mts files in source monitor
                Harm Millaard Level 7
                The i7-920 gives the best bang for the buck at the moment.
                • 5. Re: Poor performance playing .mts files in source monitor
                  LudaDave Level 1
                  Well I couldn't upgrade to an Intel my MB only supports AMD. So I found an Athlon Phenom 9850 Quad Core 2.5 GHz for $100. Slapped it in and I see some improvement. Windows Index on the processor is now maxed out at 5.9 (was 5.5). I still get some pixalation when viewing .mts files in the source monitor but they play smooth with no stutter or chop. What I have really noticed is my render times have significantly improved. The same 10 minute project (using mts files with alot of AE comps) that took 4 hrs to render out with the old processor now takes 2 hrs (roughly). For that alone I will deal with some pixalation. The only thing I see now that has not changed from before is my projects take forever to load when I first start up PP. I mean the progress bar goes imediately to about 95% then hangs for 2 minutes until the project actually comes up. Seems like forever when your staring at your monitor waiting for the project to load. Any ideas on that? Or am I just expecting too much/ :)
                  • 6. Re: Poor performance playing .mts files in source monitor
                    Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant
                    That start up problem is one of the improvements that has been addressed by Adobe in the 4.1 release.
                    • 7. Re: Poor performance playing .mts files in source monitor
                      LudaDave Level 1

any idea when that release will be out?

• 8. Re: Poor performance playing .mts files in source monitor
                        Xoomtell Level 1

Install PPCS4 on XP Pro - and update to 4.1 - A 2 GB MTS file (720p 50) runs like a charm on my Q6700 with Nvidia 8800GT. I have Vista 64 as well - does not work for PPCS4 for some reason....

• 9. Re: Poor performance playing .mts files in source monitor
                          Xoomtell Level 1

Have to admit - it is only without effects it runs nice - adding some transitions and effects it uses 99% of CPU and starts to run not so nice....sorry.

I have to buy a new PC - Q6700 is just not enough for serious editing in PPro CS4 if you want to go for AVCHD in .264.

• 10. Re: Poor performance playing .mts files in source monitor
                            LudaDave Level 1

Well the 4.1 update has improved my performance some but still nowhere near what I would like. I wish I had more time to document the problems I run into but I spend more time figuring out work-arounds so I can produce a product for my clients. It is very very frustrating. I have figured this much out.......having the latest and greatest is NOT always the best way to go.

• 11. Re: Poor performance playing .mts files in source monitor
                              Xoomtell Level 1

Oh, I know that. Have spend so much money thorugh time on state-of-theart equipment just to see it not working or mess up with Windows or get outdated after a very short while. My PC is quite OK for the most, but for Premiere it simply is not fast enough to edit video in Ppro CS4 if I want to do more than just mess around with some movieclips. So I guess my "old" PC must serve as a kind of file-server and private PC, and a new PC will be a production-only PC. So the old PC will just get a descent retirement and not just be totally waste of money...

My problem right now is to find the precise specs for a new PC....wich graphics card? Wich CPU? Thinking about getting a i7 975 and a GTX 285 Nvidia? 12 GB DDR# ram...and 2 X 1 TB SATA-II disks (WD Green...) - and maybe a 150 GB 10.000 rpm disk for the OS? (Runs Vista 64 and will certainly go for Windows 7 ASAP).....

• 12. Re: Poor performance playing .mts files in source monitor
                                Jim_Simon Level 8

The i7 975 may not be worth the money.  It costs a LOT more than the improvements it offers may be worth.

The 285 GPU is overkill for an edit rig.  Graphics cards don't make very much of a difference with Premiere.  Plus, I've been reading about a problem with nVidia cards.  You can get away with an ATI 4850 or less just fine.

On the disk drives, don't get 'green' versions for editing.  They tend to slow things down.  The VelociRaptor should make a fine System drive, though.

The 12 GB DDR3 is a probably a good choice.

• 13. Re: Poor performance playing .mts files in source monitor
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

This link has three articles that may be of interest. If you look at the link in the PC buying guide, there is a link at the bottom of the article that shows how I set up my system with which components. It may be helpful and maybe give you some ideas.

How to get the best from a PC? Some guides...

• 14. Re: Poor performance playing .mts files in source monitor
                                    Ulf Laursen Level 1

How about converting the footage first, using Cineform?

http://www.cineform.com/

It wil give you better performance, but will take up some time of course.

/Ulf

• 15. Re: Poor performance playing .mts files in source monitor
                                      LudaDave Level 1

Just an update: It seems the latest Adobe updates have improved this issue with poor performance in dealing with .mts files. I can now view .mts files in the source monitor with no stutter or freeze, they now play smoothly. It appears that working with .mts files have improved over all. They still take a very long time to render, depending on how much editing/compositing you have done (much more time then rendering .mpeg). So other than quicker camera - workstation transfers (and that is key for me on some projects) I see no advantage to the AVCHD format. 

• 16. Re: Poor performance playing .mts files in source monitor
                                        Danny O-K Level 1

Thats not good. I just upgraded to CS4 and have ran into the same problem. Did you call Adobe about this?

• 17. Re: Poor performance playing .mts files in source monitor
                                          TheShamsMan Level 1

Hi,

I've installed the 4.1 update and still having the poor picture quality.

All requiring update have been updated, Premiere, drivers, OS, etc.

Any ideas?

• 18. Re: Poor performance playing .mts files in source monitor
                                            Jim_Simon Level 8

Can you post a screenshot of an imported clip?

• 21. Re: Poor performance playing .mts files in source monitor
                                              321 rollem Level 1

Let me share my experience with playing back files in the source monitor on the Intel side.

I was reading a post by someone on here suggesting a higher FSB will make it run smoother.  I did not see any overclocking background in the post but took the advice because it looked like the poseter had alot of experience.  Isolating the high FSB theory, I took my Q9650, UD3R, and 4G (might of been 8g at the time) from 333x9 to 500x6 which is the same end result or 3Ghz.  I have a little bit of experience with overclocking starting back in the P4T 533 Rambus days.  My northbrige was tested through the OS using Prime95 Large FFTs which essentially stresses the motherboard subsystem and the ram was tested by Memtest86 v2.11 @ 500 or 1000Mhz - so those two factors were out of the way; the CPU was made to do 3Ghz so my testing of the CPU at that speed wasn't too extensive.  The end result was that no matter what the FSB was, running Premiere Pro CS4, high quality playback in the source monitor was choppy or rubber-band like in affect.

When I changed my Ghz speed from 3Ghz to 3.6Ghz (400x9) things ran smoother.  I didn't keep the system up for long as I got sucked into the upgrade-itis with MicroCenters 199$ deal for the i7 920.  I haven't started editing on this platform but in the 775lga arena you want to run your quad around 3.6Ghz

EDIT: system specs (from what I remember)

Yorkfield Quad 775lga

4 or 8g DDR2 1000 (500fsb is max without overclocking the ram)

ATI 4870

Gigabyte UD3R (this is one of the VERY few 775lga mobo that will run 500fsb in its sleep; my Asus Maximus II Formula, for 150$ more, cired and  crapped out at 479fsb)

Vista U 64

300g 15k SCSI

Message was edited by: 321 rollem

• 22. Re: Poor performance playing .mts files in source monitor
                                                LudaDave Level 1

My two cents on all this. I've only been editing for 2 yrs so I'm no expert but my experience is this. High Def formats are resource intensive already, you start adding in transitions, motion graphics, color correction and render times can go off the charts. Most people I talk to or see in the forums are pretty much trying to do what they can on the cheap, myself included ( I would love 2 new maxed out Mac Pro 8 cores, BUT...).  My specs are below and with this setup I find that after all the software/firmware updates my system works fine, far from perfect but with a good workflow and some patience I can get most any job completed on time and on budget. I think Harm's post above with links to setting up your OS and optimizing your workstation is critical to success. It made a world of difference for my setup. The next thing I'm finding is the most important thing are your hard drives, you need em fast and plentiful. Ever since I went to one drive for OS/APPS, one for content and a RAID 0 for the scratch disk. My render times and app hang ups/crashes decreased substantially. What I am now finding with my set up is as my external content hard drive fills up, the slower it gets (basic HD logic). Which causes my projects/source monitor playbacks to hang and sometimes crash. So my next step is to set up another internal RAID 0 scratch disk for temp content storage ( I believe the less Adobe has to read/write from the same hard drives the better ). I will load what I need on it for the project then wipe it clean when finished. I am amazed at how quickly you can fill up a 1TB hard drive with HD footage, pics, project folders etc. So my feeling is you can be very productive with a decent workstation, correct hardware setup and lots of big, fast hard drives. On a side note, I can also tell you to delete any resource in your project window that you are not using in your timeline prior to rendering as the media encoder loads EVERYTHING that is in your project window before encoding and that can take up some valuable time.

Dave

Workstations:

ASUS M2N32-Sli Deluxe MB
                                                AMD Athlon Phenom 9850 Quad Core 2.5 GHz
                                                6GB RAM
                                                1 GT8800 512MB GPU
                                                Vista 64bit loaded on 1TB 7200 rpm internal SATA II HD
                                                Scratch Discs are 4 SATA 80GB 7200 rpm internal RAID 0

Content Storage on 1TB 7200 rpm external SATA HD

Cameras:

Sony HDR-SR11

Canon HV20

Canon XH-A1