16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 7, 2009 10:54 PM by Steadibum

Are these specs OK?

I know that they are above the minimum requirements but I am building a box for my father in law and want to make sure that this is enough of a machine without having something that is complete overkill.

Here is what I have so far:

Core i7 920
      MSI X58 pro (non-sli)
      3 x 2gb Corsair XMS 1600
      Nvidia GTX260 216
      3 1TB Western digital drives(2 in raid 0)
      generic card reader
      Still deciding on case that will fit his needs and not be too expensive
      500-600 watt PSU
      2 Samsung 223 opticals
      Vista64 Home Premium

He will be using CS4. Not sure which suite he has but it does include after effects and illustrator. He is quite familiar with CS3 but his current machine, Pentium D, 2GB ram, Matrox RT.X100, XP32 is not as speedy as he would like it to be and he has a nice tax refund burning a hole in his pocket.

Any and all replies are welcome. Thanks.

Sorry, didn't do a good enough search before. Looks like this machine is above average. Still welcome any posts but understand if I get a lashing.
        • 1. Re: Are these specs OK?
          mickkeay Level 1
          It should fly....
          I have a GTX260 and although it is great for gaming, I have suspected it as a culprit in some CS4 crashes. Seems to have settled after latest (182.08) drivers

I have an Antec 900 case (with Corsair Tx650 PSU) - love it - bigish but easy to work in and modular design makes it easy to swap drives etc
          • 2. Re: Are these specs OK?
            don solomon Level 1
            It all depends on what format he is editing. If its HD, AVCHD, H.264 of some variety, that machine should be completely effective. If it's SD DV it is overkill.
            • 3. Re: Are these specs OK?
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              Overall it's a killer system. But I'd tweak a few things.

Unless he's working with Uncompressed footage, he won't need a RAID. Modern hard drives are more than fast enough for the standard camera formats Premiere works with. So I'd split that RAID out into separate drives, then add a fourth smaller one as the main System drive.

c: OS and Programs, nothing else. (75 - 150GB is more than enough)
              d: Projects, Scratch (1TB)
              e: Media (1TB)
              f: Exports (1TB)

I'd make sure the PS was adequate. 500 to 600 watts may be cutting it close.

I'd also opt for Vita Home Basic 64. Leaves out a lot of bloat not required by an editing rig.
              • 4. Re: Are these specs OK?
                Level 1
                Thnks for the replies. I think he mainly deals in SD but I know he will want the option to go to HD in the future.

I think I have found a case/PSU. Coolermaster 690 and Corsair 650. Plenty of room in the 690 and plenty of power to spare with the 650.

I like the idea of getting rid of the raid. I'll see if he is OK with that. I may partition one of the drives 250/750. Use the 250 for OS and the 750 for backups or media. I think I will stick with Premium. Just $10 more and gives him just a few more options later on.

Again, thanks for the suggestions.
                • 5. Re: Are these specs OK?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7
                  b NEVER
                  partition a hard disk. That is a practive from the previous century. Better get an additional disk. I currently have 13 internals in my system.
                  • 6. Re: Are these specs OK?
                    don solomon Level 1
                    In theory,it may be best to not partition the boot disk and the active media disk, but backup and storage disk partitioning often facilitates asset management and backup (depending on what you use for backup software). Of course, one would not want active media on the boot/OS disk, partitioned or not!

I have been testing CS4 on two different Vista 64 machines--identical in every respect, except that one has a small boot disk, and the programs, including the CS4 suite and a lot of non Adobe production applications on another disk (both SATA 2) that is partitioned--and the other machine runs the Adobe programs alone off the boot disk. Both use Sata 2 media disks.

I cannot tell one iota of difference in CS4 loading, running, or encoding times from one machine to the other using the identical 1 hour project as a test. AME render times to several formats is virtually identical--3 seconds slower converting to WMV, but that, ironically, was for the system with OS and programs on the same boot disk. If there is a difference, it is miniscule. Certainly nothing that would keep me from partitioning.

I suspect that both configurations are simply faster than the code execution in CS4.

There may be some very small gain in HD longevity because of less wear and tear on the heads, but, then, I have yet to ever have an HD fail on me in 20 years, largely because I upgrade to faster disks every 3 years or so.
                    • 7. Re: Are these specs OK?
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      >he will want the option to go to HD

Even that should be fine with only a single drive. (Unless it's Uncompressed HD, and not many at this level work with such footage.)

>I may partition one of the drives 250/750.

Not the best idea. Add a fourth.
                      • 8. Re: Are these specs OK?
                        Level 1
                        Thanks for the suggestions.

Looks like we will go with Jim's recommendation and add a fourth drive. Board has room for it along with the case so just a minor expence. Hopefully improved performance.

So it will look like this:

OS/programs.......250GB
                        Scratch............1TB
                        Media..............1TB
                        Exports............1TB
                        • 9. Re: Are these specs OK?
                          Curt Wrigley Level 4
                          Am I reading 6Gb RAM? It will do, but in Vista64 environment I would make 8G the minimum. Cs4 already makes good use of ram in 64 bit environments, and I suspect cs5 will even more. If you really are only doing SD DV, Id rather more mem than 3 T drives. You cold skimp a bit and make the scratch and export 500Gb easily for Sd. (if you need to save some money)
                          • 10. Re: Are these specs OK?
                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                            The i7 makes use of triple channel memory, so total RAM should be divisible by 3 for best performance.
                            • 11. Re: Are these specs OK?
                              Curt Wrigley Level 4
                              That's interesting; and something I was unaware of with the i7s. (I guess thats why i dont build my own machines) 9G then :)
                              • 12. Re: Are these specs OK?
                                Harm Millaard Level 7
                                With current low prices for RAM, I would suggest to get 2 triple kits from OCZ Platinum 2 GB DDR3 for a total of 12 GB in six slots. These DDR3 modules give you 6-6-6-18 timings even when OC'ing to 3.8 GHz and above.
                                • 13. Re: Are these specs OK?
                                  Level 1

Well, machine is up and running. So far so good. Installing CS4 Production Premium as I type this. Had to come back to the forums to see how I am setting up the hard drives. Sorry if I sound ignorant but I am when it comes to Premiere. I'm just the hardware guy son-in-law that is building the machine. Hoping to get it all set up for my dad so he can just do his thing and not have to worry about his machine being too slow.

• 14. Re: Are these specs OK?
                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

If you really want to finetune this system, here is some recommended reading:

http://http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm

Following the instructions allows you to disable numerous superfluent Vista services.

• 15. Re: Are these specs OK?
                                      muzicman82 Level 1

If the user is more interested in video editing and less interested in gaming, you might consider the nVidia Quadro CX card, which enhances Premiere and Photoshop for renderings, etc. The gaming card will fly on games, but it won't help a whole lot when it comes to Premiere. If you keep the gaming card, you might check out the Matrox RT.X2. I have two of them, and for the most part, they are very good, despite some outstanding issues that can be worked around. It does facilitate real-time editing. The RT.X2 does utilize the GPU power of a gaming card, to some extent. They have smaller, less expensive LE versions of the card that drop certain features.

I also strongly recommend your video drives be at least a two drive RAID0 array. And don't use built-in motherboard RAID. Get yourself at least a mid-rage RAID card.

Consider 8GB or more of RAM.

• 16. Re: Are these specs OK?
                                        Steadibum Level 1

I would recommend watching the power usage......if he were to ever upgrade or through in anouther compont, especially a new graphics card or more HDD, you will need more juice......i would at least get a 800 watt just to be safe.....just becasue a PS says its rated for 650 doesnt mean you can safely use it at 630 for extended times......will make it overheat....