2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2009 4:58 PM by meinmichigan

Premiere Pro CS4 vs 6.5 combined with Flash CS4...

meinmichigan Level 1
      Hi,

I'm thinking about upgrading from Premiere 6.5 to the latest version. I Just bought the Master Web collection CS4 and it does not come with Premiere Pro, and money is kind of tight right now...

All I really want to do is import videos into CS4 Flash and do video editing in flash for on line content, either web sites or maybe You Tube. If thats all I want to do, do I really need to upgrade to the latest version of Premiere?

Are there any differences in what kinds of video formats I could import from? Right now I own a Sony Video camera, a DCR-TRV27 which I bought new about 6 years ago. I will be using it to import vids into Premiere.

Are there any additional editing features in the New premiere that are not available in my Flash CS4 Premiere 6.5 combo - once I import from cam to Premiere to Flash? Or can I just import my vids from camera directly into Flash without the need of Premiere? Also if I upload vids to You Tube, is You Tube compatible if I export vids in flash or is that a different format?

Thanks anyone for advice.
        • 1. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 vs 6.5 combined with Flash CS4...
          Bill Seper Level 1
          As long as you're staying with a standard def avi-DV cam, I can see nothing gained in moving up from 6.5 for you from what you've described. That is, there may be a few new effects, or some effects may be handled better (or worse), but mostly the editions after 6.5 are more about being able to use different kinds of footage like that coming from a DVX100A or HDV and so forth, and also about delivery codecs for hi-def and that sort of thing. The timeline seems to be easier to edit on in certain ways, but overall not much has changed when it comes to editing regular SD DV. If you ever get into hi-def, then you'll have to move up because 6.5 won't handle formats like HDV etc.

"Or can I just import my vids from camera directly into Flash without the need of Premiere?"

Then how would you edit the footage? Flash isn't a video editor. After you edit your footage, then you can bring it into Flash and I guess do webby things with it like adding links and interactive scripting, but you certainly won't be doing any real video editing in Flash. As far as I know you can capture video from a camcorder with Flash CS4, but that's where it ends. I'm not even sure you can trim footage with it.

As far as uploading to YouTube, you generally wouldn't want to upload an flv. There used to be some advantages to it such as uploaded stereo mp3 files within it, but they don't allow that anymore. It's better to use a video codec like mpg or wmv for the most part.

When it comes to video in Flash, it's basically just a delivery product. It will take your already finished video and change to to flv, swf, and I think it now does mpeg4 as well. Of course there are many 3rd party apps that will do that for free.

Here's a short video tutorial on what Flash does with video:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/articles/flash411_video.html
          • 2. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 vs 6.5 combined with Flash CS4...
            meinmichigan Level 1
            Thanks so much for your insights Charles!