6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2009 9:06 AM by pebalsamo

Home and End Keys

jimclark1947 Level 1
      In Premiere 6.5 I could use the Home and End keyboard keys to move to the start and finish of individual clips. But in CS4 I find that if I click on a clip to highlight it and then press the Home or End key the pointer will move to the start or end of the project, not the clip I am working on. Is there a shortcut way to move just to the start or end of a single clip?

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Home and End Keys
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          Thankfully, you can return these shortcuts to their correct behavior by modifying the keyboard shortcuts.
          • 2. Re: Home and End Keys
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            Just a question on the use of Home & End. In PrP2, Home goes to the beginning of the Sequence, while End goes to the end of that Sequence. The PageUP/PageDN keys work to the Clip(s) under the CTI. Only confusion that I can see is with multiple Clips on various Tracks (Audio & Video), where the PageXX key takes one to the next Clip head, or tail, though not necessarily the one that you're working on - maybe have to hit that key once, or twice again, to get past other Clips in the Sequence.

Do people prefer that Home and End go to the head/tail of the Clip on the targeted Track?

I guess that I just got used to the way that PrP2 does it, so I suppose that I would need to try it the other way.

Just curious,

Hunt
            • 3. Re: Home and End Keys
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              Previous to 2.0, Home/End went to the start or end of a selected clip, or to the sequence if no clip was selected. This made navigation very easy.

Then Adobe 'fixed' it.
              • 4. Re: Home and End Keys
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                So, I take it that you prefer that setting? I guess that it is just what one is used to.

Thanks for the response. I'll have to try the setting in Keyboard Shortcuts, to see if I'll join your camp.

Hunt
                • 5. Re: Home and End Keys
                  Gary Andrew Level 1
                  Fixing the Home/End behavior was the first thing I did after getting CS4. Can't imagine what Adobe was thinking when they changed it. Just ask yourself how many times in an editing session do you need to go to the start or end of a sequence as compared with how many times you need to go to the beginning or end of a selected clip. This is especially true if you do your editing on the timeline and not in the source window.
                  • 6. Re: Home and End Keys
                    pebalsamo Level 2
                    One nice thing about the page up/down with CS4 is that it only works on the tracks that you have selected. I am pretty sure that with CS3 it went to the beg/end of each cut in all the video and audio tracks. With CS4 if you only have "Video 1" selected it will only move to the beg/end of each clip on that track, not matter how many other video/audio tracks are in use...

Phil