15 Replies Latest reply on Apr 3, 2009 12:38 PM by Jim_Simon

Low budget camera

LluisV-Cn01pC
      I want to be able to shoot with 4 cameras (Standard Definition with Hard Disk), plug it into USB port and edit.

Can anybody suggest me a low budget camera that can be connected to premiere cs4 and edit without transfer?

Thanks for your help.
      Lluis
        • 1. Re: Low budget camera
          fredou_79 Level 1
          Webcams? You can get some with dececent resolution for nearly nothing.

My friend use those for a poker table he rigged to see cards as on TV for a local tournament he wanted to record.

Not sure about PRemiere compatibility to edit without transfer, since he didn't use Premiere for it.
          • 2. Re: Low budget camera
            Phil Griffith Level 2
            Premiere can only capture from firewire source. If it were me, I'd stay away from hd cameras and get inexpensive tape based dv-avi camera.
            • 3. Re: Low budget camera
              LluisV-Cn01pC Level 1
              Frédéric,
              I speak about camcorders about 200 to 400 Euros each unit.

Phil,
              Premiere CS4 can edit camcorder records directly from SD card or HDD cam, but not all formats are suported.

Thanks for your kind help.
              Lluís
              • 4. Re: Low budget camera
                Bill Seper Level 1
                But with any miniDV cam you can record direct into CS4 via firewire without using the tape transport which I think is what Phil meant.
                • 5. Re: Low budget camera
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  Currently SD cameras that offer a native seamless DTE experience are quite expensive, the Panasonic HVX170 or 200A are at the bottom of this list and start in the $5,000 range. These cameras use solid state recording where the files can be copied to hard drive and edited right away, no capture involved.

Lesser SD cameras that also offer a DTE experience (SD cards, hard drive) also unfortunately record using a format that Premiere often has trouble with, so the advice to use tape based MiniDV cameras is good. You can always hook them up to a laptop and record using OnLocation if the tape thing is a show stopper.
                  • 6. Re: Low budget camera
                    LluisV-Cn01pC Level 1
                    Jim,
                    ...record using a format that Premiere often has trouble with...
                    This is the real problem. but I may be there is a camcorder that works fine.
                    The tape length is the problem to shoot shows longer than 90 min. And the transfer time is the other problem. 2h show by 4 cameras is 8 hours of capture time.
                    I use to shoot on saturday afternoon, I quick edit on sunday to be able to play the DVD on monday.
                    And the third problem is the use of friend cameras, all diferent, all with white balance unconsistent.
                    We have 1200 Euros and we want to buy 3 or 4 identical cameras. If DTE is not possible, there will be a way to copy and convert files (spending time).
                    But, I'm in confidence to find somebody yet who used a consumer camera in dte mode.

Thanks for your answer.
                    Lluís
                    • 7. Re: Low budget camera
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      >We have 1200 Euros and we want to buy 3 or 4 identical cameras.

Quite honestly, I'd pass on that job. I don't consider it can be done correctly for that kind of money. Add two more zeros maybe...
                      • 8. Re: Low budget camera
                        LluisV-Cn01pC Level 1
                        Jim,
                        But.... Is a non profit job. We do not get money for it. We have no resources, it's a hobby, we collaborate with a school, and we try to do it as good as and as fast as possible spending no money.

Thanks for your answer.
                        Lluís
                        • 9. Re: Low budget camera
                          TradeWind Level 3
                          The Panasonic PV-GSxxx line of camcorders are a good match for you. I'd start with the GS-300 (or 320, which does not have mic input) around $200 used on eBay. I have a GS300 I'd be willing to sell if you can't find enough of them. If that's not feature-rich enough for you, consider the GS500, which offers better features and image but probably another $100 or so.

These are small consumer-styled MiniDV camcorders with FireWire and USB output available. However, PPro won't touch the USB. There are other uses for the USB of course (webcam).

EDIT - oh, and I've done enough non-profit jobs to tell you that non-profit doesn't necessarily mean no one gets paid. At the very least, you write off your labor and/or materials as a charitable contribution (at least in the US).

Good luck!
                          • 10. Re: Low budget camera
                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                            Those are decent camera recommendations, Christian. But they're not DTE capable. That's where Lluis is going to get tripped up, I think. Properly done, it's either a lot of capturing from tape, a lot more money for better cameras, or a lot more money for Laptops and copies of OnLocation.
                            • 11. Re: Low budget camera
                              joshtownsend Level 2
                              That's where Lluis is going to get tripped up, I think. Properly done, it's either a lot of capturing from tape, a lot more money for better cameras, or a lot more money for Laptops and copies of OnLocation."

Your totally right Jim. It's not there's some camera out there that does DTE dv and nobody on the Web has ever heard of it.

Panasonic's HVX200 and hmc-150 are the cheapest camera that do this.

Have fun capturing or spend a good bit more money cause that's what will happen on your production. The sooner you make peace with reality the sooner the project will get done.

Little things like asking camera question on company forums that sell or deal with Cameras. An NLE forum for company that only makes software is the wrong place to be asking this question in the first place.

"We have 1200 Euros and we want to buy 3 or 4 identical cameras. If DTE is not possible, there will be a way to copy and convert files (spending time).
                              But, I'm in confidence to find somebody yet who used a consumer camera in dte mode."

Maybe try renting.
                              • 12. Re: Low budget camera
                                TradeWind Level 3
                                Ahhh...hahaha....got it.

No, DTE won't be possible for that small amount of money and that many cameras. Not unless you have 4 laptops running OnLocation.

You're gonna need to up the budget, reduce the number of cameras, or both in order to get DTE.
                                • 13. Re: Low budget camera
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                                  >Panasonic's HVX200 and hmc-150 are the cheapest camera that do this.

As a minor correction, the HMC150 recording to SDHC can only record HD resolutions. It won't record any type of SD video. The 150's "big brother" - HPX170 - is capable of recording both SD and HD formats to P2.
                                  • 14. Re: Low budget camera
                                    LluisV-Cn01pC Level 1
                                    In sumary...I need MORE money.

Thanks a lot for your kind answers.
                                    Lluís
                                    • 15. Re: Low budget camera
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                                      Or more time (for capturing).