16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2009 5:38 AM by karlakraus@yahoo.com

combining printed text and audio

karlakraus@yahoo.com Level 1
      I have a custom-made PC with a 146 gig hard drive and 3.25 gigs of ram, and am using Premiere Pro as part of CS4 Extended Master Collection. I hooked up with an audio techie on a Mac and purchased Premiere Pro for him. We are hoping to issue dvds of spoken word performances, like Paradise Lost, where viewers will be able to listen to a reading and follow it along on a screen. We would use a format similar to the ones they use for the Bible, where there is a book with the text on the pages and the pages turn or something like that as the audio goes on. I would design the text in ID, which I've done before with a prize-winning book of my own. A few Qs:

1. Is Premiere Pro the right program to do this in? If it isn't, what, hopefully in the Adobe family, is?

2. Assuming that it is, we want to do a short dry run with a single page or two just for the sake of practicing the coordinating of text and audio. Can this be done with my giving him the text in MS Word or Word Perfect, or must I typeset it for him?

Thanks,
      Karla
        • 1. Re: combining printed text and audio
          Eddie Lotter Level 4

1. Use Adobe After Effects for the text animation. Use Premiere Pro to add the audio.
          2. You will only need to provide him with the text. He will use After Effects to lay it out.

Cheers
          Eddie

PremiereProPedia    ( RSS feed)
          - Over 350 frequently answered questions
          - Over 300 free tutorials
          - Maintained by editors like you
          Forum FAQ
          • 2. Re: combining printed text and audio
            Level 1
            Copyright issues?????
            • 3. Re: combining printed text and audio
              Bill Seper Level 1
              "Copyright issues?????"

Huh???????????

Considering the three examples she gave i.e. her own book, the bible, and Paradise Lost it would seem unreasonable to assume she would do anything with copyright issues.
              • 4. Re: combining printed text and audio
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                Just who owns the copyright on the Bible? I mean how does the whole "beyond the life of the author thing work"? Do they consider God the author, in which case the copyright expires 75 years past the end of days? Or do they consider Mathew and company the authors, in which case the copyright expired about 2000 years ago?
                • 5. Re: combining printed text and audio
                  Bill Seper Level 1
                  God has some serious royalties coming.
                  • 6. Re: combining printed text and audio
                    creig bryan-mUOxt4 Level 1
                    Yet another example of communication issues. I didn't think the OP had intended to use anything but her own works, and just used Paradise Lost and The Bible as real-world examples (of what had already been done). But, you are right, she could have meant those exact references.

KS
                    • 7. Re: combining printed text and audio
                      Bill Seper Level 1
                      I knew what she meant Creig. What I was saying was that she went out of her way to mention three examples, all of which were perfectly legal and harmless, so it seemed strange to me that anyone would question her motives after that.

Besides, nobody in their right minds would knowingly come out with an audio book of copyrighted material. It takes weeks to read a book correctly without mistakes, and then only to get a cease and desist order before you've made your first twenty bucks.
                      • 8. Re: combining printed text and audio
                        Ooh la-la. The item is the first two books of PARADISE LOST. This was a dramatic reading by my performance group. I own the copyright to the reading. End of story. Whether I'm in my right mind or not is a matter for some debate.<br /><br />Now to the matter at hand. This is the first I'm hearing of After Effects, which I'm not sure I own.  <br /><br />Meanwhile I called Premiere Tech Support, and the person suggested the following:<br /><br />--export the text from MS-Word to a PDF<br /><br />--copy the PDF and paste it into the Tiller in Premiere<br /><br />--select Crawl (which is Adobe's term for <rolling text>)<br /><br />Will this not do it? To remind, we want to match up the audio to the text or vice versa--as they do for the various Bible DVDs. <br /><br />I really need a correct steer to the right place because my partner in this, a young audio techy, is very unhappy, and I may lose him.
                        • 9. Re: combining printed text and audio
                          Eddie Lotter Level 4

Exporting to PDF is a gross waste of time. Shame on that support technician.

You can copy from MS Word and paste directly into the PPro Titler. You can use scrolling title in PPro if you wish, but you said you wanted page turns.

Why is your "young audio techy" unhappy?

Cheers
                          Eddie

PremiereProPedia    ( RSS feed)
                          - Over 350 frequently answered questions
                          - Over 300 free tutorials
                          - Maintained by editors like you
                          Forum FAQ
                          • 10. Re: combining printed text and audio
                            My techy is on a Mac and I on a PC. I'm not sure that my MSWord file will open on his system. Maybe that was the reason for the PDF, as a kind of fail-safe. A PDF will open on anything.

As for scrolling, we want customers to be able to read the text (visual) as the performance of it (audio) is going on.

Best
                            Karla
                            • 11. Re: combining printed text and audio
                              Bill Seper Level 1
                              You shouldn't need After Effects for what youy're describing. It's all pretty basic in Premiere. I'm not using the newer CS4 yet, but you can probably do some kind of transitions in CS4 that would either be like a scrolling page or some similar effect you'd be happy with.

Not to sound harsh, but couldn't you have placed some text in the Premiere titler and some sound on the timeline and have already experimented with it ten ways under the sun by now?
                              • 12. Re: combining printed text and audio
                                fuaho Level 1
                                One possible way - not the only way:

Decide what font size/how many lines per page will work for the screen sizes you want to use. Remember resolution will vary.

Reformat your Word doc to these settings.

Turn off as many toolbars as possible.

Use alt printscreen to capture the displayed page.

Open Accessories\Paint and press ctrl V to paste the screen capture. (Note: there will be a dialog box to the effect that the capture is larger. Click OK.)

There will be unwanted stuff on the edges and top, etc. Do not try to crop anything at this stage!

Save the file as a jpg as this will make for a smaller file size.

Be careful in your filenaming convention, e.g., if you think there will be 1000 pages, call the first one "Page_000001.jpg." This will allow the pages to sort in the proper order.

Just create a small sample of 20 or so pages to begin with to test your workflow.

Open Premiere, set up your project for whatever output you want to use, like DV at 720x480 or ....? You'll have to do some testing to see what works best.

Import your audio file and place it on the timeline. Play it to see if there are any problems.

Import your 20 files, but do not check the sequential files checkbox - you do not want to automatically create a movie. You just want individual files.

Select the first page and drag it onto the video timeline. Play the timeline and mark where the first page's audio ends. Now drag the left edge of the video clip to the marker.

This should give you a page of "text" that matches the length of the audio.

Move the current time cursor to the mark and drag your second page into position so it starts there. Play the audio, mark the endpoint, drag video clip to match. Repeat until done. (Or until exhausted!!)

SAVE FREQUENTLY using sequential numbers in the filenames so you always have a (somewhat) recent backup version.

There may be better ways to do all of this, but at least this will give you some starting points to work with.

Once you are ready to export the video, you can use the crop function (up at the top of the export page dialog) to trim off all the unwanted borders. You can switch between input & output to see how it will look. If you tried cropping in Paint, you would have to do each page individually, and this job will be hard enough as it is!!

Best of Luck!!

HTH,:-)
                                • 13. Re: combining printed text and audio
                                  Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                                  If you go the route of using the titler I also don't understand the scroll - how would you get the speed to fit the audio?

The more logical step with the audio is to put the audio on the PPro timeline and set the pages to that. Why does he need PPro? Is he really going to be the editor; not just audio techy? Other than cleaning up sound what is he doing? Snipping some silent space would also be better in PPro. I wrote most of that before I went back and realized that you bought him PPro.

Make sure your tests of several pages go all the way through export and you're reusing and exports that you want to edit further or in the future. While PC/Mac collaboration in CS4 is apparently working, it doesn't take much to break many work flows even without that challenge.

Little has been said here about page turns: you'll see much fancier and more realistic options that the PPro page turn transition. (CS3 for me; is CS4 any different?) I think I'd get tired of the page turns - and certainly the PPro one. Maybe a star wars constantly running text.... (Ha, ha!)

How much text can you get on a TV screen in a readable format, etc.? You've apparently done it with your book, so ...
                                  • 14. Re: combining printed text and audio
                                    I just wrote a long e-m to you all and it was not posted because of login delay, and I lost it. Now Im writing and saving it in my word processor first.

First of all, many thanks to you all for your concern. And as the good soldier Schweik was fond of saying; Begging to report: my techy, Matt, who is no longer unhappy, managed to wed the text in Ms-Word with the audio on his mac in Premiere. We are not going to use scrolling; it will work just fine with page turns.

I have two Qs:

Im going to be typesetting the text and designing and illustrating the pages in ID (as I did for my prize-winning book BE A POET!). Do I give it to Matt as an ID file or a PDF or something else?

I have three readings, each 4.5 hours long + about 30 minutes of music + a 15 minute introduction. If we were to make one reading the definitive one iow in high qualityand the other two readings in not such good quality, could we possibly fit it all onto a two-sided DVD?

Many thanks,
                                    Karla
                                    • 15. Re: combining printed text and audio
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Karla,

I hope that I am misreading the Duration of your Project. Do you mean that you 14:15:00:00 of Video & Audio? I'd look into doing a multi-DVD set. I'm not sure that DL-DS DVD's ever went into production (what were they, DVD-12?). If you do a set of DL (DVD-9), you should be able to fit it onto 3 discs, with pretty good quality. Be aware that not all set-top players will handle DVD-9, even now, though it's far more common, than a few years ago.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: combining printed text and audio

No, Hunt, you did not misread; we've got a lot of stuff. And now, based on what you're saying, it looks like we're going to have to choose one of the three readings and go with it.

Now can anyone answer my other q, please:

I'm going to be typesetting the text and designing and illustrating the pages in ID (as I did for the prize-winning book Be a Poet!). Do I give the designed and illustrated text to Matt, my techy and biz partner, for insertion into Premiere as an ID file or a PDF or something else?

Best,

Karla

PS This new format for forum messaging is super-cool, but comes as a shock after so many years of being in a straight-jacket. It keeps winking--ist alles ok?