6 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2009 9:56 PM by Kona Bob

Is CS4 titler any different than CS3?

tunghoy Level 1
      I have CS3 and am considering upgrading to CS4, but don't want to muck things up by installing the trial version. So can anyone tell me if the titler is any different?

I'm not thrilled with the titler in CS3 or earlier versions. The text handling isn't great, and every time I open it, it keeps making the tools panel much too wide and the properties panel much too narrow (yes, even after I adjust them over and over and save the workspace). Or should I just scrap the titler and use After Effects for titles?

Also, has anyone here upgraded Vista x32 to x64 before installing PP CS4? Is it faster or more stable? I saw the product page that claimed PP is more than twice as fast in x64 and was wondering if that's really the case.
        • 1. Re: Is CS4 titler any different than CS3?
          MR Holdings

Hi Tungboy

I can confirm identical problems with CS3 and titles. I am working with Vista x64 4GB Ram - PPCS3 crashes regurarely. Speed works ok however CS3 seem to fill up RAM to the max even when scrubbing on the timeline. PPneeds to be shut down and restart again.

My biggest issue is that PP does not offer any scene detection with HDV ! (any cheap $100 software does this on the market).

It's a love hate game. Like the whole creative suite compatiblity - but hate the above issues.

• 2. Re: Is CS4 titler any different than CS3?
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Stability under Vista64 is no worse than with XP, apart from the idiosyncrasies of Vista, but that has nothing to do with PR. The claim that it is faster is nonsense, twice as fast is utter BS.

In functionality there is no difference between the titler in CS3 and CS4. The window problem you mention has largely been eliminated in CS4.

• 3. Re: Is CS4 titler any different than CS3?
              Curt Wrigley Level 4

Harm Millaard wrote:

Stability under Vista64 is no worse than with XP, apart from the idiosyncrasies of Vista, but that has nothing to do with PR. The claim that it is faster is nonsense, twice as fast is utter BS.

Its pretty well documented that CS4 under Vista64 is faster; because of the increased mem available in the 64 bit environment.

Granted; if you run the same machine with 2 G of RAM with XP vs Vista you wont see a difference.   But load the vista machine with RAM and you will see an improvement in performance.

• 4. Re: Is CS4 titler any different than CS3?
                Harm Millaard Level 7

That is about the same as saying you will see an improvement when you exchange a P4 @ 3.0 GHz for dual W5580's. If you compare a 4 GB machine, like the OP has, there will be no improvement.

• 5. Re: Is CS4 titler any different than CS3?
                  Curt Wrigley Level 4

Harm Millaard wrote:

That is about the same as saying you will see an improvement when you exchange a P4 @ 3.0 GHz for dual W5580's. If you compare a 4 GB machine, like the OP has, there will be no improvement.

A 4 Gig machine might indeed yield about the same performance.  But hes not limited to 4G in Vista64 and would see an improvement with more ram (which is very cheap).   Significant improvements are possible within the 64 bit environment; but as you point out they are not magical.

• 6. Re: Is CS4 titler any different than CS3?
                    Kona Bob Level 2

Well, it may not be actual magic, but after struggling with CS3/XP32 all this time, CS4/Vista64/12GB RAM certainly seems like magic to me.