3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2009 1:07 AM by Harm Millaard

Harm Question??

Level 1
      Harm,

Can you tell me if I will get the same performance from a sata pci card using external sata drives as I would using the internal sata drive?

If not can you recommend a way to hook up an external drive to get the same performance. Our company will not let us get a computer with multiple internal drives. PITA.

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Harm Question??
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          > Can you tell me if I will get the same performance from a sata pci card using external sata drives as I would using the internal sata drive?

In theory, yes. In practice, yes, unless the PCI bus is already 'overcrowded', in which case you may get slightly lower performance. However that performance is still way faster than either USB2 or FW400/800.

> If not can you recommend a way to hook up an external drive to get the same performance.

The easiest way is to connect an internal SATA connector on the mobo with a SATA-eSATA cable for connection to the external disk. That will effectively by-pass on overcrowded PCI bus and use the on-board SATA connectors. There are brackets available for doing exactly this. Look around at Newegg to find the right cable and bracket or use Google. If you can't find it, let me know and I will look for you.
          • 2. Re: Harm Question??
            Level 1
            Aewsome...Thanks a lot!!!
            • 3. Re: Harm Question??
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              Here is a bracket I mentioned:
              http://www.webconnexxion.com/raid/index.php?cPath=81&osCsid=284ff040053ea7d1c97337e6f34fe8 57