33 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2009 7:49 AM by Tim Flippance

Blu-ray burning

Tim Flippance Level 1
      I want to burn my HDV 50i movie from Premiere Pro CS4 to Blu-ray disc. I click File > Output > Media, then select HDV etc, MPEG2 Blu-ray, start queue and it does the encoding. When it's finished it doesn't ask me to insert a disc, or where to burn it to, or anything. It just sits there doing nothing. If I look in My Documents\Adobe\PremierePro\4.0 I can find the movie, but if I drag and drop it to the Blu-ray, it says "Some files could not be added because the formats are not supported or the files could not be found." What is wrong? My Blu-ray burner is LG GGW-H20L, my HD is 500GB, 3GB RAM, Intel 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
        • 1. Re: Blu-ray burning
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          Exporting the file out of Premiere isn't the whole process. You need to author the Blu-ray using Encore, and then you can burn it to disk.
          • 2. Re: Blu-ray burning
            Eddie Lotter Level 4

You will find Blu-ray tutorials here.

Cheers
            Eddie

PremiereProPedia    ( RSS feed)
            - Over 350 frequently answered questions
            - Over 300 free tutorials
            - Maintained by editors like you
            Forum FAQ
            • 3. Re: Blu-ray burning
              Tim Flippance Level 1
              Do you HAVE to use Encore or not to burn Blu-ray? Some say you do, some say you don't.

I looked at the video "Exporting your project" and everything works fine up to the point where the film is fully rendered in Adobe Media Encoder, except she says it goes into a folder called Exercise Files\Assets - it doesn't - it goes into 4.0 Then she says you can export it to wherever you want but she doesn't tell you how.
              The only way I can find the rendered movie is to click File > Export > Media again and click Output Name which brings up the Save As window where the movie is listed, then R click on it and send it to Instant Burn CD, but then it either does nothing, or it says "D:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function", or it says "Windows cannot read from this disc, or you could be using a format that is not compatible with windows."

Then I read the tutorial called "Authoring and burning Blu-ray discs." I did all the right things in Encore, Clicked OK, and it briefly flashed up a window saying it was importing the project or something, then that vanished, and nothing else happened. So nothing works!

Am I very stupid, or is my system totaly crap?

Tim
              • 4. Re: Blu-ray burning
                Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant
                You have to use Encore to convert your (if you select MPEG2-DVD) m2v and wav files to a single multiplexed file. You then have a choice in the Build Tab and Output menu of burning a disc, just creating the required files for a disk or creating an image. My personal preference is to create and ISO image output file which I then use to produce a BluRay disc.

You may find you could have a hardware problem because Adobe does not recommend using only a single disk for these programs.
                • 5. Re: Blu-ray burning
                  Tim Flippance Level 1
                  OK so

1/ Is Encore essential if you use added music/commentary on a movie?

in other words

2/ Is Adobe Media Encoder no good for movies with added music?

3/ Is 2/ the reason it says "....incorrect function" when I try to burn a Blu-ray disc from a movie encoded in Adobe Media Encoder?
                  • 6. Re: Blu-ray burning
                    Curt Wrigley Level 4
                    Tim, It would be helpful for you to get some fundamental training on DVD/Bluray/encore. Lynda.com is fast and pretty inexpensive and i think you will find it helpful.

Encore is both an authoring and burning tool. It can also do the encoding for you if your assets are not already encoded for disk.

So, what it does is dependent on what you need it to do. It can be used to just author, just burn, or encode plus authoring and burning. You need to know what you need before we can dispatch detailed step by step instruction on how to do it.

Typically:

Folks edit a movie in Pr and export an intermediate final movie fr authoring and burning in Encore. However; in CS4 there are more advanced options like dynamically linking a seq from Pr to Encore without the need of rendering an intermediate file.
                    • 7. Re: Blu-ray burning
                      Tim Flippance Level 1
                      Thanks. Can you recommend which specific videos or tutorials to look at to give me very basic, moron level instructions on how to get a movie onto Blu-ray without any extras like dynamicaly linking, etc (I'm an absolute beginner)
                      • 8. Re: Blu-ray burning
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        Here you go, Tim:

"The perfect video editing software solution for beginners as well as ambitious users: Effortless video capture, straightforward editing, spectacular 3D effects, a large selection of titles and fades, brilliant dubbing, 32 tracks, and the result burned to an interactive CD/DVD or exported to the Internet or a mobile player. Also for Blu-ray Disc"

Movie Edit Pro 15: Video editing made easy!
                        • 9. Re: Blu-ray burning
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          Tim,

As Curt has stated, Encore does a lot, but is NOT an editing program. PrPro is, and that is what it's for. Part of that is often to get the footage set up to go to Encore for authoring and burning to DVD, or BD. Many people are confused on what Encore is for and what it does. If one is not going to DVD, or BD, their Project will not involve Encore at all.

For a good book on Encore, I suggest Jeff Bellune's "Focal Easy Guide to EncoreDVD2," Focal Press. Do not let the name fool you. The vast majority of the info in that book will pertain across all versions of Encore. Other than not covering the newer "linking" between PrPro and Encore, it covers it all. Also, the book will give you tips on an ideal workflow, plus all sorts of neat tricks to enhance your DVD/BD's. BTW, BD are not specifically covered, as the exact format was not decided upon, when the book came out. For much of that, the Adobe Encore forum, Link Here will help with a lot of that.

Good luck,

Hunt
                          • 10. Re: Blu-ray burning
                            Curt Wrigley Level 4

Another option you might consider is Premiere Elements.    It has an easier to use interface and is more of an "All in one tool".  You may like it.

• 11. Re: Blu-ray burning
                              Tim Flippance Level 1

I took some time to study all the videos relating to Blu-ray and Encore, applied what I'd learned, and now Blu-ray burns no problem. Many thanks to all who gave me advice. My only problem now is how to fill my Plasma screen fully with my 16x9 picture. At present it shows the same as the computer monitor shows, which is a 4x3 screen with the top and bottom cut off, and this within my 16x9 plasma screen with the sides cut off, so the picture is only about half size. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

• 12. Re: Blu-ray burning
                                Eddie Lotter Level 4

Make sure your Blu-ray player is not set to do any aspect ratio conversion and the same for your LCD display. Many of them have settings to compensate for letterbox formats etc. Check all the settings to be sure of how they're affecting what you see.

Cheers
                                Eddie

• 13. Re: Blu-ray burning
                                  Tim Flippance Level 1

I've checked all the settings given by all the buttons around the viewing window in the dvd viewer such as FULL SCREEN, LETTERBOX, and the settings on the plasma screen, but the problem is the plasma screen is not showing the Blu-ray disc directly, it is showing an enlarged version of the computer monitor screen which is 4x3 and so shows the 16x9 picture with black at the top and bottom.  And when I was fiddling about with the plasma screen settings it at one point said 1024x768 which probably means it isn't showing at full 1080x1440 definition?  Is it possible to show full definition pictures from a Blu-ray burner in a computer, or will I have to buy a stand-alone Blu-ray player?

Tim

• 14. Re: Blu-ray burning
                                    Eddie Lotter Level 4

> it is showing an enlarged version of the computer monitor screen

Wait a minute, you're saying you're playing from the computer to the LCD, not from a stand-alone player?

If so then you need to set your computer to 1920x1080 for the LCD to display the image correctly.

Cheers
                                    Eddie

• 15. Re: Blu-ray burning
                                      Tim Flippance Level 1

Thanks Eddie. How do I do that? (I'm sorry to appear stupid, but it's much easier to ask than to fiddle around for hours trying to find out for myself)

Thanks 

Tim

• 16. Re: Blu-ray burning

Go to your Control Panel and to the Display and Settings and set monitor number 2 to that resolution.  (Windows XP terminology)

• 17. Re: Blu-ray burning
                                          Eddie Lotter Level 4

Bill beat me to it. Thanks Bill.

Cheers

Eddie

• 18. Re: Blu-ray burning
                                            Tim Flippance Level 1

Thanks to you both.  I've done that, but I still get a small picture at 1024x768 on the plasma screen, and no settings on the plasma screen will change that!

Tim

• 19. Re: Blu-ray burning
                                              Eddie Lotter Level 4

Please post a screenshot of the Windows Display Settings screen where you set the resolution of monitor 2. Be sure to click on the monitor that is the LCD so that its settings appear in the screenshot.

Cheers
                                              Eddie

• 20. Re: Blu-ray burning
                                                Tim Flippance Level 1

I've realised what's happening - I set monitor 2 to 1920x1080 but as soon as I press Apply or OK it flips back to 1024x768 or a lower resolution - it won't accept 1920x1080

• 21. Re: Blu-ray burning

My suggestion is buy a BluRay player and forget about playing it from the computer as I just did.  $206.72 including the shipping.

• 22. Re: Blu-ray burning
                                                    Tim Flippance Level 1

Perhaps I'll do that. What was your reason to switch to a player?

• 23. Re: Blu-ray burning

Since I am delivering to paying customers I felt it necessary to test my BluRay discs before delivery.  You can guarantee that a disc will always play in the burner, but will it play in a set top player?  And I do not even own a HDTV, I "borrow" my 1920 x 1200 computer monitor for the testing.

• 24. Re: Blu-ray burning
                                                        Tim Flippance Level 1

Right, sounds reasonable. I've just realised the forum page only updates itself if you go to another page then come back. As to my screen, I found if I ticked the "Extend my Windows Desktop to this Monitor" box it then accepted 1920x1080, but it wouldn't show the Blu-ray at all, and still won't even though I've unticked thar box.

Eddie - I don't know how to do what you suggested

• 25. Re: Blu-ray burning
                                                          Curt Wrigley Level 4

Tim Flippance wrote:

Eddie - I don't know how to do what you suggested

ALT/Print screen will capture the active window into your clipboard.   Paste it into PS, save as a jpg then click on the Camera icon here in the comments box to embedd it in your reply.

• 26. Re: Blu-ray burning
                                                            Tim Flippance Level 1

I decided to follow Bill's advice and buy a stand-alone Blu-ray player because I'll need to test my discs on a separate player to check they're OK.

I have only one little query now: on slow panning shots across complex scenery (trees with lots of twigs and leaves) I get a sort of flickering/flashing effect on the detailed parts caused by the codec being overloaded with information. I'm using MPEG-2 encoding. My question is would another codec such as H.264 be better at avoiding this annoying effect?

Tim

• 27. Re: Blu-ray burning
                                                              Curt Wrigley Level 4

Perhaps a little bit.    Even the native source in HDV has problems panning where there is tons of detail or motion.   Panning trees with leaves all blowing for example is a nightmare.

So, double check the source footage first to make sure the errors are not there.  If they arent; you can try manually upping the rates a bit in the encoder; depending on how long your project is.

• 28. Re: Blu-ray burning
                                                                Tim Flippance Level 1

Thanks Curt.

There are slight errors in the original HDV footage, but it's much worse in Blu-ray. How do I "up the rates", and will it still be compatible with other people's players? This particular film is only 26 minutes long, so I could "up the rates" enormously.

Tim

• 29. Re: Blu-ray burning
                                                                  Curt Wrigley Level 4

I have always used the bluray defaults myself and they generally work well.

Your program is short enough that you have room on the disk; but as you mentioned you dont want to go beyond setop compatibility.  What that is; is a biy of a mystery.  Id up the data rate a bunch and see if it makes any difference.   Then drop it down till it doesnt.

And I hope you have re-writables or this experiment could get expensive

• 30. Re: Blu-ray burning
                                                                    Tim Flippance Level 1

How do I up the data rate?  I looked in Encore but I can't find any data rate settings to adjust

• 31. Re: Blu-ray burning
                                                                      Curt Wrigley Level 4

You would change your transcode settings from automatic to a preset.   Then click on "Edit Quality Presets".  In the next dialof will be very detailed individual settings.   Adjust them at your own risk.

• 32. Re: Blu-ray burning
                                                                        Tim Flippance Level 1

I set it to 40mbps which is the maximum, and I set it to 1440x1080i maximum quality, and the flicker has definitely improved. It's not perfect but it's a lot better than before, and I think the remaining flicker is on the hdv footage anyway, so that's good. Even at 40mbps my 26 minute film only occupies about 1/4 of the available disc space.

I hope this is my last technical problem cos I want to get on with the more important job of making films!

Tim

• 33. Re: Blu-ray burning
                                                                          Tim Flippance Level 1

I've done further tests, and even at 40mbps MPEG-2, Blu-ray still flickers when panning across detailed landscapes. Most of the time it doesn't flicker on the mini HDV tape. Why is Blu-ray so much worse than mini DV tape? It seems ridiculous. If Blu-ray is so rubbish why does anyone use it at all? Why not use mini DV tape? Or am I missing something? It surely couldn't be anything to do with the fact I shot it at 25fps progressive, though recorded by the camera as 50i, and captured to P Pro at 50i? But it shows in P Pro without flicker!

I can't believe Blu-ray is so bad! Surely it is used by professional broadcasters, and I can't believe they would be satisfied with such horribly unprofessional results? What's the answer? Is Blu-ray just an amateur medium?

I've got to emphasise, the flicker is flickering light and dark, rather than any sort of movement flicker.