13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2008 8:51 AM by akribie

CS4 manual woes...

shooternz Level 6
      I am missing a hard copy manual immediately. (Upgrade version)

As soon as I installed and had a very brief play with CS4, it became so obvious that there is a new learning curve to deal with. I used to love reading a hardcopy manual of a new piece of software. (even loved the smell of them) Ohhhhhh...the good old days.

Upside is no smart arses can post RTFM any more.

BTW - CS4 ...Very impressed so far... and ...Garbages mattes seem to be fixed, Titler works well and AME loads immediately. (what other issues did I have before...)

Diffferent settings for each sequences... very cool as is Media Browser.

Would have loved invert garbage matte.
        • 1. Re: CS4 manual woes...
          Level 1
          >Would have loved invert garbage matte.

I agree with that and also an edge feather would be nice!
          • 2. Re: CS4 manual woes...
            akribie Level 2
            You can download the PDF version of the help files and print that out if you want to.
            • 3. Re: CS4 manual woes...
              Curt Wrigley Level 4
              Yea; but they wont smell right.
              • 4. Re: CS4 manual woes...
                TradeWind Level 3
                The manuals would be nice...according to the Adobe rep last week, the hard copy manuals will be available for purchases, but aren't yet printed anyways.

I think it's multiple things at work. For one, if Adobe waits until the manuals are printed, then software is delayed for shipment (later release dates) while they finalize the hard copy and get printing done. Also, shipping is more expensive for the weight. And it costs more money overall (for Adobe).

They significantly reduced the upgrade cost over the past version by about $200, so that should more or less justify the lack of inclusion for both the manuals and Ultra CS4 (which...doesn't exist).
                • 5. Re: CS4 manual woes...
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  Back about CS for Photoshop & the other Creative Suite apps., Adobe did similar - no manuals. Since it was a departure from PS7 (AI, etc.) I sprung for the manuals for ~US$60, IIRC. They smelled wonderful. When I upgraded to CS2, all of the manuals came boxed with the upgrade.

When I spring for CS4, the manuals will have to be ordered. Hope they get the smell right.

Personally, I'll purchase them, as printing out a full PDF for all apps would cost as much, or nearly, whether I do it on the desktop, or take it to Kinkos. And, as Curt says, they don't smell right!

Actually, I'd pay even more if nearly every topic did not have, "See Help... " but that's just my old-fashioned, like to have a book in my hand, self.

Hunt
                  • 6. Re: CS4 manual woes...
                    shooternz Level 6
                    Smelling the manuals....ahaaaa .... I thought it was only me.

"its only kinky the first time"

Glad to hear they will print the manuals and make them available ...for us to sniff.

No way I am going to print out an entire pdf
                    • 7. Re: CS4 manual woes...
                      akribie Level 2
                      FWIW I have pinned a folder shortcut to my Win XP Start Menu to give ready access to all the PDF manuals. Now I can quickly access easily-searched on-screen help reference on the second monitor if I need to.
                      • 8. Re: CS4 manual woes...
                        Level 1
                        That's what I'm going to have to do...That would be handy for Trapcode and other stuff too.

Still, we always had functional help before, why change now?

I just timed it...it took two minutes and 25 seconds to get to the actual Photoshop help page...1:20 to get to the "community help" page, and another 1:05 to get to help. And that's before I actually try to look for something. It's actually faster to get up, walk across the room, and unplug my router every time I want to check the help file. This is so stupid.
                        • 9. Re: CS4 manual woes...
                          Level 1
                          Try lynda.com all cs4 training on their site. If you registered your cs4 program you get a free 30 days.
                          • 10. Re: CS4 manual woes...
                            shooternz Level 6
                            David - do you have the link to the Premiere CS4 HELP pdfs. please?

BTW - Joel. Training is kind of different to needing a quick help file assist from time to time.
                            • 11. Re: CS4 manual woes...
                              Eddie Lotter Level 4

Craig, the link to the PDF file is at the top right of every CS4 Help page.

Cheers
                              Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
                              - Over 300 frequently answered questions
                              - Over 250 free tutorials
                              - Maintained by editors like you
                              Forum FAQ
                              • 12. Re: CS4 manual woes...
                                shooternz Level 6
                                http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremierePro/4.0/premierepro_cs4_help.pdf
                                • 13. Re: CS4 manual woes...
                                  akribie Level 2
                                  If you use the on-line help out of CS4 programs, the opening Community page has a panel at the top right where there is a link to the PDF versions of help for the current application. Just work your way through and download the ones you want.