5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2009 7:18 PM by Jim_Simon

Are these specs any good for Premiere CS4?

scott mackenzie
      I have just bought Cs4 and it doesn't run very well on my computer that ran CS3 perfectly!

Is this normal?

So, I looked into upgrading my computer to these specs- can you give helpful suggestions please!

PS I would like to run CS4 and Magic Bullet Looks

MSI Neo P45 motherboard RAID
      Intel Core2Duo E8500 3.16 GHz CPU
      4 GB DDR2 800 Mhz RAM
      2x 1 TB Samsung 32 Mb cache Sata2 Raid stripe.
      LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray writer
      Gigabyte GV-N95TOC Geforce 9500GT 1Gb Graphics

Using your existing case, power supply and 32bit Vista. thanks scott!!!
        • 1. Re: Are these specs any good for Premiere CS4?
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          I run CS4 fine on a lot less than that.

What kind of media are you having trouble with?
          • 2. Re: Are these specs any good for Premiere CS4?
            Harm Millaard Level 7
            Get a smallish separate disk for OS and programs. For the rest you are OK.
            • 3. Re: Are these specs any good for Premiere CS4?
              Douglas R Wagner Level 1
              Your specs do look good enough, at least for DV. Working with DV footage should allow you to have smooth video.

But people like me doing HDV work are having a lot of stutter/freeze problems. The Program window is giving this trouble on playback. You may see your Source window as able to play smoothly, but that is raw video and tech support confirms it processes video differently than for the Program window.

CS4 lacks a switch that CS3 had to select whether to use GPU acceleration. According to phone tech support, that is trouble for a lot of people.

Further, CS4 while trying to "automatically" decide if and how to use the GPU (graphics card processor), will not accept OpenGL 3.0. Ironically, the advice to me was to roll back to old drivers, that were 2.0 (or 2.1) compliant, as that would supposedly throw the "invisible switches" correctly inside PPro CS4.

However, rolling back did not help me. I also have RAID 0, but I have a single core 3.8 GHz processor, so my problems are acute, and CS4 is unusable for me.

Even people with Quad cores are having playback stutter problems (I think usually mostly with HDV).

That's incredible!! What was Adobe thinking when they released this software with such a performance slowdown compared to CS3?
              • 4. Re: Are these specs any good for Premiere CS4?
                scott mackenzie Level 1
                Hi Guys,#

Thanks for the responses-

Yes i am working all with hdv at the moment but will be using Sony EX3 XDCAM footage soon.

As I said before CS3 works fine just now- I bought CS4 and it just doesn't work very well (stuttering playback etc) I also would like all the new batch encoding options which would be very useful to me.

That's why I thought i should upgrade computer too.

Any other ideas with adding magic bullet looks?

Thanks

scott
                • 5. Re: Are these specs any good for Premiere CS4?
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  >will be using Sony EX3 XDCAM footage soon.

Take care. Others have reported going back to CS3 with this footage just because it works better.