8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2009 3:52 PM by Marcus Koch

Moving Encore Chapter markers on timeline

watkino Level 1
      I've long been annoyed by a Premiere Pro issues and am finally seeking help - I find no way to globally manipulate the Encore chapter markers on the timeline. In other words, I've laid down a ton of chapter markers, now an element in the timeline has changed requiring they all be slid one direction or another. How exactly is that to be accomplished without tediously moving each individual marker?
        • 1. Re: Moving Encore Chapter markers on timeline
          Eddie Lotter Level 4

See: FAQ:How/Where do I make a feature request?

Cheers
          Eddie

PremiereProPedia    ( RSS feed)
          - Over 350 frequently answered questions
          - Over 300 free tutorials
          - Maintained by editors like you
          Forum FAQ
          • 2. Re: Moving Encore Chapter markers on timeline
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            >How exactly is that to be accomplished without tediously moving each individual marker?

I'm afraid tedious is the only way at the moment.

It would be nice if you could tie an Encore Chapter marker to a specific frame, so that wherever that frame shows up, the marker tags along with it. If the frame moves, the marker moves. If the sequence is nested, the marker show up in the new sequence. If you move the marker, then it automatically gets tied to the new frame. If the frame is deleted, a warning dialog asks if your sure, and if yes, then the marker is also deleted.
            • 3. Re: Moving Encore Chapter markers on timeline
              Marcus Koch Level 1

There should be a "getting a feature back request" section. In older versions of Premire Pro inserting a clip, etc. did move the chapter markers.

I would propose also a special section of "really annoying feature implementations that don't do justice to a software that's sold as a tool for professionals". The Chapter marker issue results in hours of waisted time and money. This way Adobe might solve really annoying and stupid behaviors in a .x update instead of a x. +2 update.

My 2 cents. Yes, I'm frustrated with this feature and I have all right to it :-) It just killed my evening.

Marcus

• 4. Re: Moving Encore Chapter markers on timeline
                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Please make sure you submit a feature request to create a preference that would allow chapter markers to be linked to a frame of a clip instead of the sequence.

For now, you could just wait until your edit was complete before adding the chapter markers.

What if you have last-minute changes?  Nest the final sequence.  The chapter markers appear as clip markers in the nested sequence.  Navigate from marker to marker adding new chapter markers in the parent sequence.  If you set up a custom keyboard shortcut, this goes really fast.

-Jeff

• 5. Re: Moving Encore Chapter markers on timeline
                  Marcus Koch Level 1

Hi Jeff,

thanks for the workaround tip with the nested sequenze. Unfortunately it doesn't work for me. I'm working on a dance camp DVD with 53 short class summaries. To link the summaries correctly to the submeues it is practically essential to name the chapter markers. The naming process is more time consuming. So moving each of them around is long, but still shorter. I just got a missing clip that is the first in the timeline. Happy moving!

Marcus

• 6. Re: Moving Encore Chapter markers on timeline
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Markus,

It might be the old "six of one - half-dozen of the other," but you can name all of your Sub-menus' Buttons in En/PS, and make sure that the Sync Button Names is unchecked (default in CS4 is unchecke, IIRC). Then the proper Button Name will appear on the Sub-menus, regardless of what the Chapter Markers are named. Then, the only "trick" will be you rembering which Button links to which Chapter.

In the end, it just might be easier to rename the Chapter Markers and do the Sync Button Names. Just wanted to throw out another way of doing it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Moving Encore Chapter markers on timeline
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

In older versions of Premire Pro inserting a clip, etc. did move the chapter markers.

Sequence markers (which were used to create Chapters in Encore) have never moved automatically in a sequence.  Clip markers moved, as they are tied to the clip, but they can not be used to create chapters.

• 8. Re: Moving Encore Chapter markers on timeline
                        Marcus Koch Level 1

Hi Jim,

yes, the regular sequence markers were used. I don't know in which version it stopped, but I am very sure that in PP 1.0 the chapter markers were moving with the clips. I remember it so well, because I had a corrupt project in which it didn't work anymore. In a newly created project it worked just fine.

Marcus