19 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2009 3:08 PM by nickdbomb

Does Premiere Pro CS4 really support Vista 64-bit?

I have installed Premiere Pro CS4 on my Vista 64-bit server and recognized in the task manager that Premiere is listed as a 32-bit application "Adobe Premiere Pro.exe *32" which makes me wonder if Adobe's statement given in the FAQ is correct, where they say "Adobe Premiere Pro is optimized to run on 64-bit systems. The key advantage of 64-bit systems is that they can use up to 64GB of RAM. Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 can use large amounts of this memory because it splits different tasks into separate processes."

Am I executing the correct Premiere Pro EXE-file (the application itself works fine) and is that 32-bit application able to make use of the fully available RAM space (which is 8 GB on my system)?
        • 1. Re: Does Premiere Pro CS4 really support Vista 64-bit?
          Eddie Lotter Level 4
          >Vista 64-bit server

Please note that Vista is not a server operating system.

FAQ:Is CS4 64-bit?

Cheers
          Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
          - Over 300 frequently answered questions
          - Over 250 free tutorials
          - Maintained by editors like you
          Forum FAQ
          • 2. Re: Does Premiere Pro CS4 really support Vista 64-bit?
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            >The key advantage of 64-bit systems is that they can use up to 64GB of RAM.

I would disagree with Adobe's statement. First, because it's actually possible to move to TB's worth of memory in a 64 bit OS. And secondly, the key advantage of a 64 bit system is that a 64 bit chunk of data can be processed in a single clock cycle, as opposed to a smaller 32 bit chunk. The added memory capacity is nice, but definitely a secondary benefit for a 64 bit OS.

While Premiere may be able to use the secondary advantage of added memory, as a 32 bit app, it can't yet take advantage of the primary benefit of a 64 bit OS - larger data chunks for processing.
            • 3. Re: Does Premiere Pro CS4 really support Vista 64-bit?
              (Africanada) Level 1
              Only Photoshop is a 64bit program so all the fuss about 64bit power to use big Ram is all a fantasy
              • 4. Re: Does Premiere Pro CS4 really support Vista 64-bit?
                Curt Wrigley Level 4
                > Only Photoshop is a 64bit program so all the fuss about 64bit power to use big Ram is all a fantasy

Having a 64 bit environment with CS4 is very beneficial even for the apps that are not native 64; as has been pointed out. Could it be better if all apps were native 64; probably so. But it is still very helpful.
                • 5. Re: Does Premiere Pro CS4 really support Vista 64-bit?
                  joshtownsend Level 2
                  I just installed Vista 64 to see if premiere would work faster. It tested a few clips and it doesn't work faster as far as rendering. There might be a minute amount of editing speed but just barely.

I agree that Vista 54 doesn't benefit premiere.

After Effects however opens up, multiple instances and each core/AE instance can use a user set amount of Ram up 3.2 gigs a core/instance.

You can also set the amount of cores to work with other programs so you can work wile you edit. And it works great, rendering way faster.

Premiere has none of these feature so it's not nearly as effective, change that NOT REALLY much more effective with Vista 64.

Wish they'd just combine Premiere and After Effects into one program.
                  • 6. Re: Does Premiere Pro CS4 really support Vista 64-bit?
                    Level 1
                    >Wish they'd just combine Premiere and After Effects into one program.

That would be the worst idea ever. These programs do so much already. Can you imagine how hard it would be for your computer to handle all of that power under one hood?
                    • 7. Re: Does Premiere Pro CS4 really support Vista 64-bit?
                      joshtownsend Level 2
                      It already does it under one hood with dynamic link. If you could edit a time line in AE as smooth as you could in Premiere you'd have the best all around single program ever.
                      • 8. Re: Does Premiere Pro CS4 really support Vista 64-bit?
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        I think it would be better if Adobe just scrapped 32 bit and rewrote the entire suite from the ground up as 64 bit native. If anyone has the power to force an industry move that's long overdue, it's Adobe. Much like Lucas had the clout to force theaters to upgrade their sound systems if they wanted to show Star Wars.

There comes a time when the old must simply be gotten rid of for the new and improved, like DVD did with VHS.
                        • 9. Re: Does Premiere Pro CS4 really support Vista 64-bit?
                          joshtownsend Level 2
                          Just downloaded the Vegas 8.1 64 trial. Man that's a snappy program. I would have jumped ship from premiere if it had native P2 support.
                          • 10. Re: Does Premiere Pro CS4 really support Vista 64-bit?
                            nickdbomb Level 1

I was told by the employee of Adobe demonstrating at an Adobe seminar that Vista 64 bit was the best OS for Premiere CS4.

Following this advise has driven my productivity into the ditch.

Vista 64 bit does not support IEEE1394 devices. Sometimes they are seen and the next day they are not.   The same device when attached to my Vista 32 bit system and XP Pro system works. 

It is the Vista 64 bit operating system that is not working with IEEE1394.  Don't use it. If you do, expect a sytem that is unstable and flakey at best.

Microsoft has offshored all support and the best technical suport technicians have stated IEEE1394 (firewire) is a problem with the Vista Ultimate 64 bit software and that they are working on solving the driver problem and do not have a solution.

Another Microsoft technical support representative asked me to wait for the next version of Windows because this would fix this problem.

I've had Microsoft take remote control of my computer ASUS P5E Deluxe MB 8GB RAM External IEEE1394 Dual drive array striped RAID 0 and they sometime were able to get the array seen by Vista 64 bit,  But the next day the same configuration witout turning off the computer would not see the exterrnal array.

I have lost faith in Adobe and Microsoft to solve the IEEE1394 issues.

I highly reccomend choosing another editing platform

Vista 64 Bit is an Ultamate Train Wreck

• 11. Re: Does Premiere Pro CS4 really support Vista 64-bit?
                              Harm Millaard Level 7
                              Vista 64 bit does not support IEEE1394 devices.

Complete BS. Your problem is with the external 1394 array. I have never had any problem with an external 1394 disk, a DV deck daisy chained to the disk and different cameras on another 1394 port, all connected at the same time over 1394.

What chip is used for 1394 on your mobo? TI, Via?

• 12. Re: Does Premiere Pro CS4 really support Vista 64-bit?
                                Jim_Simon Level 8

Another Microsoft technical support representative asked me to wait for the next version of Windows because this would fix this problem.

If you were lucky enough to grab the Windows 7 RC, go ahead and use it.  I'm not having any major issues with W7 64 bit.

• 13. Re: Does Premiere Pro CS4 really support Vista 64-bit?
                                  nickdbomb Level 1

Well great for you Harm, but this problem has me stumped.  I've been troubleshooting NLE systems since my Pinnacle DC30 Premiere 4.2 system.

I'm looking for a solution not to start a fight so if anyone has confronted similar problems and found a fix, please reply.

FYI, Adobe has made it clear that Premiere CS4 does not support daisy chaining decks or any other 1394 devices, but this is not my problem.

"Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 doesn't support multiple devices on a FireWire chain or multiple devices on a FireWire card."

Above quote copied from this Adobe support document http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405744.html

I'm not working with DV I have been shooting in 720P on a Sony PVW EX1 if that even matters.

Can you explain why my external array works well with XP fairly well with 32 bit Vista?  It's an ASUS P5E Deluxe motherboard.  This is not BS, I have a long list of Microsoft case numbers and it is REAL pain having to explain to someone in India the problem over and over again. I've been told by the array manufacturer SimpleTech ProDuo that it should work with the OS drivers.  The Internet forums for other 1394 devices have many instances of 64 bit Vista incompatibility. The same problems I'm having with the same OS just different devices.  What's really weird is how it will work fine like today, it's back to normal. I have had this system working perfectly then overnight the array vanishes in my computer but shows up in device manager with an error. Then a few hours later without changing anything, it starts working again, very intermittent.  As usual, it will fail when there's a deadline.

I've run Avast antivirus, Malwarebytes and Spybot.  Swapped cables,defragged drives, updated MB bios and software looked everywhere for solutions.

The MB Manual is found at http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

I can transfer content to my internal array but I'm trying to optimize a workflow that starts by shooting on SxS cards on the PVW EX1 and transferring them to the array in the field with the 32 bit Vista laptop and making rough cuts.  I keep the project files on a USB drive.  Then transfer the array and USB drive to the 9450 quad desktop system in the studio for final editing.  When I get this to work, it's a real time saver.  But transferring files to the internal array is possibly the only dependable solution for now.

• 14. Re: Does Premiere Pro CS4 really support Vista 64-bit?
                                    Harm Millaard Level 7
                                    I've run Avast antivirus, Malwarebytes and Spybot.

Do not use these while editing.

SimpleTech ProDuo

This drive array does have eSATA connectors. Try if that solves your problem and you will win in performance as well.

• 15. Re: Does Premiere Pro CS4 really support Vista 64-bit?
                                      nickdbomb Level 1

Harm,

Thanks for the suggestions but unfortunately the Asus P5E Deluxe MB doesn't have a native eSATA port and I was trying to save the one remaining PCI X slot for the Matrox h.264 encoding card because most of my projects are for Internet video.  I carefully selected this motherboard based on manufacturers compatibility recommendations and was counting on ieee1394 400 for connectivity. When 1394 works, it's excellent. I've noticed snappier performance when using the ieee1394b 800 on the laptop and the SimpleTech array, but this isn't the issue.   There is one other slot that's being blocked by the fan on the ATI 4850 graphics card. Possibly I can use this slot if I can find a very short eSATA card. 

I've turned off all protection and update software and still have the same intermittent ieee1394 issues.  When the protection software is on, I've haven't noticed any problems editing yet.

Nick

• 16. Re: Does Premiere Pro CS4 really support Vista 64-bit?
                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

What you could try is to keep the array powered in the nomal way and use an eSATA to SATA cable that you connect to a SATA port on the mobo.

• 17. Re: Does Premiere Pro CS4 really support Vista 64-bit?
                                          Jim_Simon Level 8

There are quite a few people in these forums using Vista 64 with Premiere.  I don't recall any of them complaining about 1394 issues.

• 18. Re: Does Premiere Pro CS4 really support Vista 64-bit?
                                            nickdbomb Level 1

I can only speak for myself and I am having problems.  Interesting that Microsoft is being extremely supportive. I just had a follow-up call from a Microsoft technical support person on an open case I stared last week. I had an appointment to run to but before scheduling a time to call back tomorrow but I had a brief chat about the problem.  He agreed with me, there are unresolved issues with ieee1394 drivers.  I'll post again after we've had a troubleshooting session.

Nick

• 19. Re: Does Premiere Pro CS4 really support Vista 64-bit?
                                              nickdbomb Level 1

Microsoft just told me again that many ieee1394 devices are having driver conflicts with Vista 64 bit OS and that the solution will be to wait for the next release of the Windows OS.  They want me to pay for the upgrade.  I'm out of luck, there is no stable ieee1394 protocol connection using Vista 64 and the Simpletech array.