33 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2009 5:40 AM by (vic_bruce)

"Remote Importer Module" Crash

Level 1
      Just a teeny little problem...I can't import any VIDEO into PP CS4. It was working fine for a few days while I experimented, and now that I'm trying to do real work, it's dead.

I had been working all morning on a new project and all I had in so far was audio and stills. When I tried to import a video clip, I got

Premiere Pro Debug Event

Premiere Pro has encountered an error.

..\..\Src\RemoteImporterModule.cpp-246]

Tried again, same thing. Rebooted, same thing. Tried to open another project I had experimented with...same thing, couldn't even open the project. Opened a new project and tried to import video, same thing. Tried different types of video, same thing. Tried to open an old CS3 project, same thing.

My actual project file I was working on still opens fine, since there's no video in it, but I'm at a point where I can't go any further without video. I can't open the project in CS3 (which is working fine otherwise). I guess the project files aren't backwards compatible.

I will try reinstalling PPCS4 I guess...if that doesn't work I guess I have to start over on this in CS3. I was SO pleased with my CS4 experiments and was excited to do some actual work in it. Oh well...

So, any clue what might have caused this and how it can be avoided?
        • 1. Re: "Remote Importer Module" Crash
          Level 1
          By the way, no problem importing to After Effects.

I'm reinstalling now, but here are a couple more clues...

When I started the installer, it said I must shut down "processcoordinationserver". So I killed that in Task Manager, but I'm guessing this was something that was hanging up.

Also, when I got the list of things to reinstall, Air was on the list of things that were not already installed. I was sure I installed this originally...everything else on that list I had intentionally not installed. Maybe somehow I killed Air and this importer requires it? Just in case, I opted to reinstall Flash as well.

It's Windows XP Pro, well above minimum specs, and I haven't changed anything since it was working right. HOWEVER, MS did install some emergency patch this morning...I walked away to make breakfast and when I came back it had rebooted itself.
          • 2. Re: "Remote Importer Module" Crash
            Level 1
            Yeah... reinstalled and rebooted...nothing.

But hey, PPCS4 works great as long as you don't need video in your projects!

If this is Microsoft's fault, I can't believe I'm the only one...
            • 3. Re: "Remote Importer Module" Crash
              Level 1
              Nothing huh? I'm the only one?

I guess I have to pull the whole suite out and reinstall over the weekend and see if that helps. I was intending to do a fresh XP install at some point, but I wanted to wait until Red Giant released all their CS4 updates. I really hope it doesn't come to that.
              • 4. Re: "Remote Importer Module" Crash
                Level 1
                Uninstalled the whole suite tonight, rebooted, reinstalled. Still can't import video.

Looks like Automatic Updates installed two updates this morning related to XML. I'm going to try yanking them.
                • 5. Re: "Remote Importer Module" Crash
                  Level 1
                  I pulled all the updates that installed today except the "malicious software tool".

Still can't import video.

Starting to feel like the Last Man On Earth here.

Hello...

Doesn't anyone want to complain that I didn't say what kind of processor I had and then plug their blog?

Have I lost my mind?

You know how many Google hits there are for "Remote Importer Module"?

Zero. It might as well not even exist.

I guess I know how I'm spending my weekend...weeeeeeee
                  • 6. Re: "Remote Importer Module" Crash
                    Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                    What type of video are you trying to import? (Format and codec please)
                    • 7. Re: "Remote Importer Module" Crash
                      Level 1
                      Any type of video. Any. Specifically, I was trying to import an AVI in Panasonic DV Codec. But after I discovered the problem, I tried uncompressed AVI (with and without alpha channels), Quicktime, HD M2T, WMV...pretty much anything I could find on my drives I tried.

BUT...I fixed it. I can't be sure what happened, because I did two things at once, but I'm 98% sure I know what it was.

First, I updated Quicktime as instructed in the troubleshooting guide. I doubt that was the issue.

But I also saw something in the troubleshooter about disabling codecs. I totally forgot that I had updated Aspect HD yesterday afternoon. I had Aspect 5.2, which had been coexisting with CS4 even though it didn't actually work in CS4. But to update Aspect, you must first uninstall the old version. I'm guessing when I installed the new version, it wormed it's way into CS4 just enough to screw things up. I removed Aspect and everything's back to normal.

Well, this is the kick in the pants I needed to sell my license for Aspect. I just don't see much of a difference between Aspect and native HDV editing anymore, and the overlay preview doesn't work since I got a GeForce 8800. I had already decided not to pay for another upgrade for Aspect, but I figured I could leave it on my system purely as a Codec option for After Effects, Juicer, and the like.
                      • 8. Re: "Remote Importer Module" Crash
                        Level 1
                        Oh, and Jeff...thanks for letting me know you weren't all dead. :)
                        • 9. Re: "Remote Importer Module" Crash
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          Yet another example of why everyone should post any and all third-party add-ons in the initial post, whether or not they are used. If you have it, always mention it.
                          • 10. Re: "Remote Importer Module" Crash
                            Level 1
                            Hi Marc,

I'm having the exact same error message but it happens when I try to open a CS4 file that worked just fine a few days ago.

I haven't been able to figure it out yet. I don't have Aspect, but an engineer here did install an Intensity card on my machine to test something he was working on. I guess it could have something to do with that. I'll start with Quicktime though.

Any further thoughts on what was causing your problem?
                            • 11. Re: "Remote Importer Module" Crash
                              Level 1
                              Okay, so uninstalling/reinstalling Quicktime didn't do anything, but I found an updated version of the driver for the Blackmagic Intensity card and that seems to have done the trick.
                              • 12. Re: "Remote Importer Module" Crash
                                joshtownsend Level 2
                                Blackmagic Intensity doesn't support cs4 yet.
                                • 13. Re: "Remote Importer Module" Crash
                                  Level 1
                                  PPro CS4 uses a separate executable called ImporterProcessServer.exe to leverage more RAM usage on your system. My guess is that something is making it crash, as the error you reported indicates that PPro is not able to find it when the app is launching. What's making it crash? Probably a third party plugin is a good starting guess, since not all of them are up to date with CS4.

Try searching your install drive for the following file (make sure you turn on looking in hidden folders, btw):

"Importer Process Plugin Loading.log"

With any luck, this will point out what it's attempting to load when it goes into a tailspin.

Cheers
                                  • 14. Re: "Remote Importer Module" Crash
                                    Eduard Engel Level 1
                                    Help. the same trouble here, can't import any type of video. Already deinstalled Aspect HD, Quicktime....
                                    I work on a windows based computer Q6700, 4Gb Ram XP-Pro 32bits, raid10 configured harddisks (striping and mirroring, 4pcs 750gb hd's)
                                    and can't find the above mentioned log file.
                                    • 15. Re: "Remote Importer Module" Crash
                                      Eddie Lotter Level 4

You need to tell the OS to search hidden files and folders.

Cheers
                                      Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
                                      - Over 300 frequently answered questions
                                      - Over 250 free tutorials
                                      - Maintained by editors like you
                                      Forum FAQ
                                      • 16. Re: "Remote Importer Module" Crash
                                        Eduard Engel Level 1
                                        Oké, I told the OS to show hidden files and found the log file. It ends with these lines,
                                        -----
                                        Loading C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\Plug-ins\Common\Wave_Warp.AEX
                                        The plugin is marked as Ignore, so it will not be loaded.

Loading C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\Plug-ins\Common\Write_on.AEX

Loading C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\Plug-ins\Common\AEFilters\Ellipse.AEX

Loading C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\Plug-ins\Common\AEFilters\SolidComposite.AEX

Loading from root path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\CS4\MediaCore
                                        Scanning for the following file types: *.prmp, *.prm, *.dll, *.aex, *.8bf

Scanning C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\CS4\MediaCore and sub-directories
                                        --------

The only thing I that will have my doubt is the empty mediacore directory.
                                        • 17. Re: "Remote Importer Module" Crash
                                          Eduard Engel Level 1
                                          anyone... please... mr adobe please help....
                                          • 18. Re: "Remote Importer Module" Crash
                                            Level 1
                                            Do you have any video capture hardware installed? I know that was the problem that I was having.
                                            • 19. Re: "Remote Importer Module" Crash
                                              Eduard Engel Level 1
                                              no I don't, unless you should mean my Matrox Pharhelia APVe card wich should be capable to capture. But never used it before.
                                              not even a webcam installed.
                                              Coming from Premiere 1.5 that gave no trouble..
                                              • 20. Re: "Remote Importer Module" Crash
                                                Eduard Engel Level 1
                                                Again. I uninstalled everything that could have the slightest smell of a disturbance on premiere CS4, Uninstalled, Reinstalled CS4 premiere. Tried to run Premiere after a msconfig start with almost everything switched off. This error keeps happening again and again on all types of video files I try.
                                                I start pulling out my hair now...

its still the same message over and over again:

have the latest driver installed for my Matrox Pharhelia APVe card, should I really have to rebuild my system again, this idea makes me very unhappy. However, since my toolbox has locked up I'm affraid this is the only way to get it reopened again.

Mr or Mrs Adobe, please tell me what to do
                                                thx

ps all other software on this system runs flawless!
                                                • 21. Re: "Remote Importer Module" Crash
                                                  Level 1
                                                  This is a guess based on what fixed my problem, but I am guessing that it has something to do with the Matrox driver and/or the Matrox additional software. I would try uninstalling everything matrox software related. If you can borrow a standard video card from another computer or from a friend, I would give that a shot.

Like I said, this is just a guess.
                                                  • 22. Re: "Remote Importer Module" Crash
                                                    joshtownsend Level 2
                                                    Matrox is not compatible with CS4 right now, Remove the card and software and CS4 should work.
                                                    • 23. Re: "Remote Importer Module" Crash
                                                      BIGBOYFILMZ Level 1
                                                      i M HAVING THE SAME ISSUE

Premiere Pro Debug Event

Should i clean install windows and start over
                                                      • 24. Re: "Remote Importer Module" Crash
                                                        Eduard Engel Level 1
                                                        Well this was for me the only way to get pp cs4 to work. I tried all solutions Adobe asked me to do, and nothing worked, even the change of my videocard made no difference... I made a clean install of windows xp pro and started all over again. Before you start make sure you deactivate your software.

Now everything looks fine for the moment...
                                                        • 25. Re: "Remote Importer Module" Crash
                                                          BIGBOYFILMZ Level 1
                                                          Man, that sucks! Thanks!
                                                          • 26. Re: "Remote Importer Module" Crash
                                                            BIGBOYFILMZ Level 1
                                                            OK, I just did a clean install. I am scared to install CS4.

I have an internal Drive in which I put a CS3 HD Project. I used Cinefrom 4.3 to capture the device.

On my C: Drive I installed CS4 and tried to open file from my

MEDIA DRIVE.

First issue said HD Video Cant match audio. I detached it so I don't understand why it would work.
                                                            I said ignore. Soon after that the importer issue happened.

One theory is i didnt have Cineform Installed with CS4 Yet. When i went to open it, it couldnt find it, therefore crashed.

It was full of plugins such as
                                                            Red Giant
                                                            Twixtor
                                                            GenArts

I havent installed anything yet, in fear of it happening again.

What do i do?
                                                            • 27. Re: "Remote Importer Module" Crash
                                                              Harm Millaard Level 7
                                                              Provide details.

> OK, I just did a clean install. I am scared to install CS4.

So what was it? Did you install or were you too scared?

> I have an internal Drive in which I put a CS3 HD Project.

I do hope you have more than ONE internal drives.

Can you explain it a bit more, since I have some difficulty in understanding what you have done and what causes problems because of what and why not.
                                                              • 28. Re: "Remote Importer Module" Crash
                                                                BIGBOYFILMZ Level 1
                                                                I installed CS3 and a bunch of plugins. Aspect Cineform HD 4.3. Than amonth of not working on the project. I install CS4 clean and i just attemped to open the project that i captured and the error module started. Should i install CS4 than install Cineform HD and try to open/
                                                                • 29. Re: "Remote Importer Module" Crash
                                                                  joshtownsend Level 2
                                                                  I don't think Cineform works with CS4 yet. That's mosy likely your problem.
                                                                  • 30. Re: "Remote Importer Module" Crash
                                                                    BIGBOYFILMZ Level 1
                                                                    So I tired to install A Copy of CS3 PPro with my license Production Premium Serial. I got an IT,Expired ,message. I call Adobe to give me the link to the FTP site to redownload my CS3, I haven'tt gotten a response

The lady says that you cannot run the two at the same time CS3 & CS4

Does anyone have a link to DL THE CS3 PPREMIUM.

I HAVE A VALID LICENSE, SOME PUNK KID STOLE MY CDS AND LEFT ME THE CASE. I GOT THE FREE UPGRADE TO CS4, SO I DIDNT CARE!
                                                                    • 31. Re: "Remote Importer Module" Crash
                                                                      Level 1
                                                                      Hello friends!

I had the same problem on the most simple of content programs in cs4, so I referenced a fix that I had found and saved from David Newman, the head tech guru at Cineform (Please see below). I acutally saved this before any issues arose "just in case" and sure enough, cs4 crashed no more!
                                                                      Cheers Vic

From David Newman at Cineform December 3rd, 2008, 04:43 PM

You need to remove the im-CFHD_File_Import.prm file from

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Common\Plug-ins\CS4\MediaCore
                                                                      and
                                                                      C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\Plug-ins\en_US\CineForm Then CS4 works.
                                                                      • 32. Re: "Remote Importer Module" Crash
                                                                        sportsguy7 Level 1
                                                                        I had the same problem and just about pulled out what little hair I have left. I found this message string, tried David Newman's fix and voila it worked. Thank you for saving my sanity!
                                                                        • 33. Re: "Remote Importer Module" Crash
                                                                          Level 1
                                                                          Hi Martin,

I am happy that I could be of assistance to you. Others on tech forums such as this one, have really helped me out!