14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2008 9:14 PM by shooternz

Targeting tracks....   huh?

shooternz Level 6
      What is the idea (and function) behind the V or A1 / A2 tab on the column beside the Track header.

Seems these can be dragged up and down but what do they do.

Targeting the track(s) via the header column seems to do all one needs.

(The video tutorial shows a guy using them but he does not explain why?)
        • 1. Re: Targeting tracks....   huh?
          Level 1
          I have had the same questions but nobody has been able to answer my question...What's the point? Now to target a track for the source window you have to move two track markers.

KMS
          • 2. Re: Targeting tracks....   huh?
            shooternz Level 6
            I have always used the Track Header to Target the tracks (or a shortcut toggle) so no change there... but that additional TAB seems redundant.

I do like how you can now target multiple tracks at the same time. That saves locking tracks.

Must check to see if I can use a shortcut still.
            • 3. Re: Targeting tracks....   huh?
              shooternz Level 6
              ...one thing they do is indicate what is in the current Source Clip.

Maybe helpful but then why the need to drag it around which seems to do nothing.
              • 4. Re: Targeting tracks....   huh?
                Averdahl Level 3
                Lets say that you have Video 1 and Video 2 and Video 3 targeted. If you set the Source Track Indicator to its default, IE Video 1, and press , or . to do either an Insert or an Overlay the video goes to Video 1.

If you move the Source Track Indicator to Video 2 the video goes to Video 2 when pressing , or . and if you move the Source Track Indicator to Video 3 the video goes to Video 3.

However, if you set the Source Track Indicator to any *untargeted* track you cannot insert/overlay any video when using keyboard shortcuts.

So, Source Track Indicator + targeted track places media on the Timeline while Source Track Indicator + untargedted track dont place any media on the Timeline.

When using the mouse you will not notice any difference.

The same principle goes for audio.

/Roger
                • 5. Re: Targeting tracks....   huh?
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  So how's that better than what was there before, where only the targeting was required? Seems like extra work has been added, but what is the extra benefit. Why would one want to target multiple tracks?
                  • 6. Re: Targeting tracks....   huh?
                    Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                    I tried to copy a clip from track 1 to track 2, track 2 is targeted but it just puts it on track 1.
                    • 7. Re: Targeting tracks....   huh?
                      Averdahl Level 3
                      Jim, when placing clips on the Timeline the benfit is, IMO absolutely none. However, one benefit is that you can easily swap the audio channels if you work with P2-footage or if you use the Source Channel Mapping to set the Track Format to Mono on a stereo clip.

When using the Extract or the Lift command one can do it on multiple tracks at once instead of one track at a time. That can save a lot of time.

Ann, this issue is known and will be fixed soon.

/Roger
                      • 8. Re: Targeting tracks....   huh?
                        shooternz Level 6
                        SO Roger...seems you are saying that tab is designed to "override" multiple targeted tracks.

Eg if three are targeted, the tab will be the arbiter of which track is used for Insert / Overlay. Guess that saves time on deselecting target tracks.

I must play with it some more. I will probably grow to love it but meantime I have no issues working this new "method" otherwise.
                        • 9. Re: Targeting tracks....   huh?
                          Level 1
                          I wish you could at least lock the Source Track Indicator to the lowest targeted track. I can't believe that there isn't a shortcut to move the Source Track Indicator. If you want to target you source video to a different track, you have to use the mouse to move the Source Track Indicator. Why not just use the mouse to drag the clip to the timeline...Source Track Indicator = more work. It seems usefull for very few situations...

KMS
                          • 10. Re: Targeting tracks....   huh?
                            joshtownsend Level 2
                            "Seems like extra work has been added, but what is the extra benefit."

This has been my experience with "CS4-more-clicks Premiere".
                            It's like they rushed premiere to make it in time for the 'bread and butter' apps (photoshop, flash)

I like the way Vegas handles this. If you drop on footage or audio over media on the timeline it doesn't erase what was underneath it automatically. Wish there was a switch to make it work that way.
                            • 11. Re: Targeting tracks....   huh?
                              Averdahl Level 3
                              KMS, i do certainly think you are correct regarding this. :)

Please tell Adobe what you want by filing an Feature Request. The more Feature Requests Adobe receive from users, the greater is the chance that it hopefully will be implemented in PPro CS5, or even better in a dot update of CS4. I have already filed one Feature Request regarding this issue.

Adobe Feature Request:
                              http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

/Roger
                              • 12. Re: Targeting tracks....   huh?
                                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                                josh,

Drop with the Ctrl key modifier. You get an insert edit instead of an overlay edit.
                                • 13. Re: Targeting tracks....   huh?
                                  joshtownsend Level 2
                                  Yeah I get and do that all the time. But sometimes, you have many audio tracks that aren't shown in the timeline. P2 footage can have sometimes 4 audio tracks, then room tone, sound FX temp music. When editing trailers or music video I'll be far into the cut and drop a few shots in the to play with or audio.

Because I can't see all the tracks I've occasionally copied over a sound effect and not notice it till I've adjusted a few other things. In Vegas if you place a clip on top of another. the bottom clip stays there almost like a layer. When you relealize a mistake it's very easy to fix no matter how far along editing you are.

Makes sense, no?
                                  • 14. Re: Targeting tracks....   huh?
                                    shooternz Level 6
                                    >P2 footage can have sometimes 4 audio tracks

Little tip Josh. Map the extra P2 audio tracks away and map them as stereo. Two of the P2 audios are redundant anyway.