13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2008 12:46 PM by shooternz

Does the video card matter?

Level 1
      I've heard conflicting stories. A different forum suggested that the video card doesn't matter since it's only 2D. Some say that the video cards with more memory helps with the rendering. I want to be able to render faster and also make the preview window bigger without lagging. When I checked the minimum specs it says that all it needs in OpenGL 2.0.
        • 1. Re: Does the video card matter?
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          Tests have shown that performance gains from bleeding edge graphics cards are measured in single digit % gains, while the higher costs incurred are measured in multiples of lesser cards. So, card B may be X times more expensive than card A, but the performance is only 0,0X % better.

The two major improvements you can create to reduce render times are CPU and disk setup. Video cards are of significantly lesser importance.
          • 2. Re: Does the video card matter?
            shooternz Level 6
            Harm...do you know much about CUDA? Does it rate?

Now I have installed CS4 I am curious whether CUDA technology is playing any part. (Quadro FX1700)

I cannot think of anyway of quantifying, testing or comparing performance to CS3 with the same card because the variant is also CS3 v CS4

BTW - CS4 really flies but then again I was totally happy with CS3 as well.
            • 3. Re: Does the video card matter?
              joshtownsend Level 2
              CUDA only compresses h264 and flash a lot faster based on the video card (you also have to buy the program but it comes free with Nvidia's 2,000 dollars Adobe Quatro). Other than that CUDA doesn't have any benefits for day to day use. YET. Check out the Nvidia site they are pretty clear about the details. Not much benifit for editing but it'll burn your Blu-ray's faster but Flash animation is so small in general I fail to see much benifit.

After Effects has more video card benifits than premiere. (again read Nvidia site)
              • 4. Re: Does the video card matter?
                I am considering CS4, but am not real technical, so could use some help. What is most important for me to get hardware-wise in my system to maximize CS4's Real Time capabilities? Thanks much.
                • 5. Re: Does the video card matter?
                  joshtownsend Level 2
                  lot's of ram and 4 or 8 core fast processors. Unless your just editing DV in that case even the cheapest computer at Besy Buy will work just add a few harddrives.
                  • 6. Re: Does the video card matter?
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    >Other than that CUDA doesn't have any benefits for day to day use.

"Accelerate rendering time for advanced effects such as transformations, color correction, depth of field blur, turbulent noise, and more." - nVidia
                    • 7. Re: Does the video card matter?
                      joshtownsend Level 2
                      Those are After Effects effects (Depth of field, turbulent noise also Bi-lateral Blur and Cartoon). There are however 5 GPU transitions (page curl and a few are others that are GPU accerated, there a folder of them). Magic Bullet Looks and Colorista are GPU related third party effects.

And those aren't CUDA related anyway. Check out the apps for CUDA on the site there's only one or two that are ready Elemental technology and Badaboom(sp?). Here's the CUDA link. http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_home.html#

"including up to 4X faster H.264 video encoding speeds with the NVIDIA® CUDA-enabled plug-in for Premiere Pro CS4" This is the $2000 Quatro. http://www.nvidia.com/object/builtforadobepros.html

See CUDA plug-in.
                      • 8. Re: Does the video card matter?
                        Level 1
                        I'll be eventually doing HD, so would need the best configuration for doing that. I would appreciate a list of specifically what I should have put into my system to have truly real time capability. I apprecaite all your input. Thanks.
                        • 9. Re: Does the video card matter?
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          >Those are After Effects effects (Depth of field, turbulent noise

Oh, that's a little sneaky. nVidia puts that line directly after a line about how CUDA helps with Premiere Pro.
                          • 10. Re: Does the video card matter?
                            Harm Millaard Level 7
                            > I'll be eventually doing HD, so would need the best configuration for doing that. I would appreciate a list of specifically what I should have put into my system to have truly real time capability. I apprecaite all your input. Thanks.

If your budget is over $ 15K, I might suggest something. Is it?
                            • 11. Re: Does the video card matter?
                              shooternz Level 6
                              >...what I should have put into my system to have truly real time capability.

Depends what your expectation of "truly" is but if it means absolutely everything r/t...you are going to be dissapointed cos it aint possible.
                              • 12. Re: Does the video card matter?
                                joshtownsend Level 2
                                Realtime dvcprohd 1080 is totally realtime for me at full resolution. I can even some FX on clips and it stay realtime is there just a fast color correction.

A Nvidia 280 would be the best card I would recommend. $300. It'll speed up 3-d blending modes, Magic Bullet Looks and colorista.

If you want real time in After Effects. It's not possible no matter the hardware unless you apply only a few FX.
                                • 13. Re: Does the video card matter?
                                  shooternz Level 6
                                  Its the added fx that eventually determine "truly realtime".