10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2008 1:10 PM by creig bryan-mUOxt4

PP CS4 and G45/P45 chipsets

creig bryan-mUOxt4 Level 1
      Does the G45 Northbridge Chipset offer any advantages for Premium Pro CS4 (or After Effects), or is the P45 chipset a better alternative?

Thanks in advance and,

Keep Smiling
        • 1. Re: PP CS4 and G45/P45 chipsets
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          I think that would depend on which GPU you pair with the P45. Personally, I prefer separate graphics cards rather than those on the mobo.
          • 2. Re: PP CS4 and G45/P45 chipsets
            Jim:

Thanks for your quick reply. I'm also partial to separate graphics cards, to be clear.

However, I'm building 26 machines for a classroom setting. I've read that the G45 chipset works with H-264 streams (as well as MPEG-2). If Premiere Pro can take
            b useful
            advantage of this, it would eliminate the expense of providing 26 separate graphics cards. These students aren't going to be doing anything fancy--no multi-cam, multi-stream projects--just the basics.

Gigabyte and Intel offer mATX mobos with G45/ICH10R chipsets, which would allow for small footprint workstations. Now, I know these boards are designed/positioned more for the Home Theatre markets.

But---If PP CS4 can take advantage of the on-board graphics, and it provides some speed/efficiency edge, then I can save $$ (and space and heat) by skipping the added graphics cards, and transfer those funds into faster Duo 2 Quad (6600) CPUs.

So, my question is: Can PP CS4 use the on-board graphics of the G45 Northbridge, or should I step across to the P45, and fill the graphics card slot?

Keep Smiling
            • 3. Re: PP CS4 and G45/P45 chipsets
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              >If Premiere Pro can take useful advantage of this

The only additional use of the GPU I am aware of is with nVidia's CUDA system. I can't say with authority, but my guess is the "special processing" found on the G45 regarding H.264 won't benefit Premiere's editing at all.

I say here "additional" because Premiere since version 2.0 has made some use of the GPU for certain minor tasks.

The G45 should work, but I don't think you'll see any benefit in editing from it. If it saves you money and allows for a better CPU, that'll be your added performance right there.
              • 4. Re: PP CS4 and G45/P45 chipsets
                Jim:

Thanks,

Keep Smiling
                • 5. Re: PP CS4 and G45/P45 chipsets
                  Creig,

While the G45 does support hardware decode of H.264 and MPEG2 video, the Adobe apps are not yet enabled to use this feature - something Intel would like to work with Adobe to change for future versions.

The G45 also supports OpenGL 2.0, which is used by Premiere for rendering its video display windows. There is a driver update planned for next week that fixes some issues we found, so please check Intel's website for the latest drivers if you do get the G45 (also applies to GM965/G965/GM35/G35/GM45).

In my experience with Premiere, you will see much more benefit from a faster quad-core CPU than with a discrete graphics card. Also, Premiere Pro CS4 uses Intel SSE4 instructions and benefits from the faster shuffle instructions and other enhancements on the 45nm Core 2 Quad processors, so you may also consider bumping up to one of those (see http://www.intel.com/products/processor_number/chart/core2quad.htm ).

Best wishes on your classroom project.

- Eric
                  • 6. Re: PP CS4 and G45/P45 chipsets
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    >OpenGL 2.0, which is used by Premiere for rendering its video display windows.

Hmmm. I was under the impression Adobe moved away from such years ago and now used DirectShow for the task.
                    • 7. Re: PP CS4 and G45/P45 chipsets
                      Eddie Lotter Level 4

I don't think DirectShow is available on the Mac. It would make sense that Adobe would use OpenGL, since it is available on both platforms.

Cheers
                      Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
                      - Over 300 frequently answered questions
                      - Over 250 free tutorials
                      - Maintained by editors like you
                      Forum FAQ
                      • 8. Re: PP CS4 and G45/P45 chipsets
                        Eric:

Thank you for this information. My subsequent research (after my first post), has in fact confirmed the H.264 and MPEG2 hardware decoding limitations.

However, I didn't know about the Open-GL support. I'll look for those drivers next week.

In most mATX implementations of the G45, (Gigabyte, Intel, Asus), the manufacturers have opted on smaller (ostensibly insufficient) heat sinks. Do these chips generally run cooler than their P45 cousins? Or should I consider larger sinks?

Thanks,

Keep Smiling,

Creig
                        • 9. Re: PP CS4 and G45/P45 chipsets
                          Level 1
                          Creig,

Your question about heatsinks is a bit outside of my area of expertise, but I would generally trust what the motherboard manufacturer puts on the board since they know the thermal characteristics of the chips and all the components should be designed to work together in a given form factor (see www.formfactors.org for more info).

FWIW, I have an Intel DG45ID 2.8GHz C2Q system in a small limited-air-flow space crowded together with other C2Q systems, and all works well.

- Eric
                          • 10. Re: PP CS4 and G45/P45 chipsets
                            Eric:

Thanks for that info.

Keep Smiling