10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2008 11:23 AM by Eric1138

Help making a list of missing/not working features

joshtownsend Level 2
      Since Adobe isn't talking why not help me make a list of features that aren't in Premiere anymore as well as one's promised for premiere CS4 but aren't there until it's updated.

No AAF

No single click save stills - AECS4 still has this

No more stream hinting in quicktime

HDV and AVCHD audio synch problems

Track Matte effect doesn't work

Media browser doesn't preview 24p correctly,

XML to Final Cut doesn't work

No OMF

No edit with Audition,

No 3rd party codecs - Cineform, Quicktime dvcproHD, Blackmagic, Raylight

Have to 'Interpret Footage' for 24p and 24pa

These just off the top of my head and not bug related issues listed here http://premierepro.wikia.com/wiki/Known_Issues
        • 1. Re: Help making a list of missing/not working features
          Davideo2
          Not being able to easily grab a still BMP really kills me. What a bummer! I always used widescreen DV projects, and the stills would have to be interpreted to widescreen after creating them, but at least that was quicker than the CS4 method.
          • 2. Re: Help making a list of missing/not working features
            joshtownsend Level 2
            Good old CS-4-more-clicks.

2 more

No RED Camera support - Another feature advertised on the Premiere page.

Animation codect of quicktime looks like garbage.
            • 3. Re: Help making a list of missing/not working features
              shooternz Level 6
              Why exactly do you bother with Premiere if it is not filling your needs as evidenced by your many posts pointing out its deficiencies?

Guess it is frustrating for you if you jumped in with expectations that were not fulfilled by the package or the advertising but it seems to me your posts are more a ping at ADOBE in general.

I am running it straight from the box and its fine in my P2 workflow. Looking forward to OMF implementation (and updates) though... but I can wait for that if they get it right. As they did with P2.

I dont have a RED camera, AVCHD CAmera, HDV camera so dont care one jot about any of them. Others may have them but assumeably they had software that works with them before they bought them.
              • 4. Re: Help making a list of missing/not working features
                Level 1
                To be fair - the RED support is coming from RED, not Adobe. So if anyone is to blame for that not being released, it's RED. And from what I've read, that support could coming this week on the 20th. And from what I've read over on the RED forums, the support should be worth the wait.
                • 5. Re: Help making a list of missing/not working features
                  Level 1
                  Josh, have you met another poster on these forums called jujufactory?

:)
                  • 6. Re: Help making a list of missing/not working features
                    joshtownsend Level 2
                    Go to red.com and look around you'll find a quote by Adobe congradulating them for their new announcements and saying the plug-in will be ready with the next next update. I remember them posting it in REDUSER the on the 13th.

Adobe is fer sure helping out. Unfortunately Adobe seems to be playing like RED lately.......announcing features then releasing a product only to need updates to work.

No I don't know anyone else who posts here.

The reason for this thread is so people will know what does and doesn't work . This should stop people from asking questions and thinking they have a unique problem cause say..they can't render Animation codec.

You guys act like I'm asking for to much.

Also if you guys are having such a trouble-free experience with CS4 WHY ARE YOU HANGING AT THE ADOBE FORUM?
                    • 7. Re: Help making a list of missing/not working features
                      joshtownsend Level 2
                      Here's a quote from Adobe about RED
                      "RED and Adobe share the goal of enabling the most advanced tapeless post-production workflows in the industry. With native support for RED R3D files in Adobe Premiere Pro CS4, Adobe Encore CS4, and Adobe After Effects CS4, Adobe is furthering the integration of tapeless camera formats into its line of professional video products, and making post-production workflows faster, more flexible, and more efficient. RED's Digital Cinema camera line, the new RED plug-in, and Adobe video tools provide an exceptional solution for video professionals who want to harness the full potential of raw digital cinematography while tapping the efficiency of tapeless workflows."

Simon Hayhurst, Senior Director, Product Management, Digital Video and Audio
                      • 8. Re: Help making a list of missing/not working features
                        joshtownsend Level 2
                        Here's another one from November 13th.

'Good morning one & all,

We've been cranking out code with the RED team, lining up for the same schedule.
                        Next week we'll ship a full native workflow for RED in Premiere Pro CS4, After Effects CS4 and even Encore CS4 (the RED to Blu workflow).

We've come a long way since the IBC demos --- more performance, more stability, more options, and tuning it to CS4 which is architected for 64 bit systems so that you can stuff it full of memory and get that smooth as butter experience.

Import your R3D files, change resolution on the fly, pop into full resolution for some detail work, drop all the way down to 1/16th for fast cuts on a laptop --- it's all there.

We're right up to 2K at full performance with the latest drop.

Oh, and did I mention that we're working the RED gang on exposing more control on the realtime de-bayering ? ... and of course with Assimilate on making it a full, clean, raw end to end workflow ?

Expect the importer to be posted with RED and linked from Adobe before Thanksgiving. Nov 20th is looking like the date (not that dates ever change).

Many thanks to our beta-testers ... you've been awesome turning things around and helping us shape the future.

It's cool.

It's Christmas come early.

Enjoy.'

Simon & the Merry Adobe Gang
                        Keeping you close to the lens
                        • 9. Re: Help making a list of missing/not working features
                          joshtownsend Level 2
                          Here's a press release from last week saying that Premiere supports RED right now and you can go download even gives a link. (you can't)

http://www.studiodaily.com/main/news/10212.html
                          • 10. Re: Help making a list of missing/not working features
                            Level 1
                            "Also if you guys are having such a trouble-free experience with CS4 WHY ARE YOU HANGING AT THE ADOBE FORUM?"

Because many of us come to help others just as we've been helped in the past.