6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2008 1:03 PM by Jim_Simon

ATI's version of CUDA

Jim_Simon Level 8
      >"ATI Stream is a set of hardware and software technologies that enable AMD graphics processors (GPU), working in concert with the system?s central processor (CPU), to accelerate applications beyond just graphics.

>ATI Stream-enabled software titles for entertainment, gaming and productivity are being released or are under development by independent software vendors (ISVs) including ArcSoft and CyberLink."

I think Adobe reeeeeally needs to be on that list, if only because a 4850 can be had for less than $200, about ten times less than nVidia's current offering for GPU assists - and with better specs!
        • 1. Re: ATI's version of CUDA
          joshtownsend Level 2
          Nvidia has plenty of cards $100 dollars and up that are Cuda enabled. Adobe threw in their hat with Nvidia and Nvidia made Cuda free so developers can actually make programs that use it. Right now the only way to use Cuda in Premiere is a plug-in that comes with the 2 grand card.
          • 2. Re: ATI's version of CUDA
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            That's what I'm saying. The cheaper nVida cards won't (that I know of) take advantage of CUDA.

Plus, I've always just been an ATI guy. It'd be nice if both camps had the option of GPU processing with Premiere.
            • 3. Re: ATI's version of CUDA
              joshtownsend Level 2
              There is only one Cuda plug-in for Premiere and that comes with the 2 grand card.

There are $50 dollar cards that support Cuda. I know you don't believe me but check this wiki link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CUDA

"CUDA works with all NVIDIA GPUs from the G8X series onwards"

Every 8 series and up supports Cuda.

Problem is right now it doesn't matter because the only way to get a Cuda program to work with premiere is to spend 2 grand. And all it does is speed h264 rendering!!! http://www.elementaltechnologies.com/

One day Cuda will help alot but not yet and the plug in will cost more money no matter if you own a nvidia or ATI.
              • 4. Re: ATI's version of CUDA
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                >Problem is right now it doesn't matter because the only way to get a Cuda program to work with premiere is to spend 2 grand.

Yes, Josh. I agree. What I'm saying is that it would be nice if Adobe moved forward with enabling that same GPU processing that's available on ATI cards. That way we'd get the feature for a lot less money, and us ATI guys can keep our ATI cards.
                • 5. Re: ATI's version of CUDA
                  joshtownsend Level 2
                  What exactly do Nvidia cards do to accelerate Adobe products that ATI doesn't? The video on the Adobe site makes it out like you can only push and twirl Photoshop CS4 pics with Nvidea cards and that not true.

There is no white paper from Adobe or Nvidia explaining which cards do 'what' to what FX. I think because Adobe partnered with Nvidia and they made that 2 grand card, Nvidia makes it out there stuff works better with Adobe. Just like they make it out like there stuff makes video games play better.

I'd love to for Adobe to release a white paper about CS4 and video cards.
                  • 6. Re: ATI's version of CUDA
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    I don't know what the difference would be if Adobe went ahead and enabled ATI Stream capabilities. I suppose that would be up to the programmers at Adobe.

Personally, I'd like the GPU to assist with every effect in the lineup. Sort of a sub-$200 version of Matrox, but without all the Matrox issues.