14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2009 9:03 AM by Jim_Simon

Help Browser

ImmerTech
      Does anybody know if you can change the default browser that help open in?

I have several browsers installed for development reasons (IE, Chrome, FireFox, Etc) and for some reason Adobe opens in Firefox even though IE is my default browser. Since FireFox is the browser I like least I would like to change this.

- Eric
        • 1. Re: Help Browser
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          >Since FireFox is the browser I like least

What is this foreign tongue you speak? Your words make little sense.
          • 2. Re: Help Browser
            joshtownsend Level 2
            He's saying he doesn't like firefox and wants the Help to open with IE.

Actually his Engrish isn't that bad. The full sentence was "Since FireFox is the browser I like least I would like to change this"

There's plenty of sentences in the Adobe Help that are way more confusing than that. Like this:

"Note: If your footage file contains frames from different sources, the phase may not be consistent. If the phase is inconsistent, import the footage multiple times, once for each phase, and interpret each footage item with a different setting. Then, add each footage item to your composition and trim each layer to use only the appropriate frames."
            • 3. Re: Help Browser
              ImmerTech Level 1
              He was actually joking about the fact that I don't like Firefox. He couldn't believe it. But regardless of my reasons for not liking Firefox the question still remains. Can I point at a different browser?

- Eric
              • 4. Re: Help Browser
                joshtownsend Level 2
                Not sure but I have to agree with him then I hate IE. Firefox is my choice of poison.
                • 5. Re: Help Browser
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  >He's saying he doesn't like firefox

There it is again. Is there someone, per chance, who understands this alien garble? Might you attempt to translate for me?
                  • 6. Re: Help Browser
                    Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                    > Is there someone, per chance, who understands this alien garble?

Yes. Let me translate for you:

"Explorers of the Internet, clad in Chrome and singing well-known Opera arias, set the Fox on Fire in order to obtain precious knowledge."
                    • 7. Re: Help Browser
                      joshtownsend Level 2
                      hehehe made me laugh jeff
                      • 8. Re: Help Browser
                        akribie Level 2
                        I would check again that IE really is your default browser.

I had a similar issue recently with Firefox after an update where it silently changed itself to be the default browser.
                        • 9. Re: Help Browser
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          >silently changed itself to be the default browser.

There's a good fox. Time for a treat.
                          • 10. Re: Help Browser
                            ImmerTech Level 1
                            I have triple checked and yes IE is my default browser. I even double checked that all file types are pointed at IE. It seems very strange to me that Adobe would not allow you to use your default browser to browse help.

Anybody have any thoughts? If not maybe I will email tech support.

- Eric
                            • 11. Re: Help Browser
                              Eddie Lotter Level 4

A quick workaround would be to rename the firefox executable so that it cannot run. ;)

Cheers
                              Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
                              - Over 300 frequently answered questions
                              - Over 250 free tutorials
                              - Maintained by editors like you
                              Forum FAQ
                              • 12. Re: Help Browser
                                tnsprin Level 1

Back to the original point.  The helps should either open in the preferred browser or give you a preference option to select browser.  I like Firefox, but for the Adobe help would like it to open in IE8 which is my default browser.

• 13. Re: Help Browser
                                  tnsprin Level 1

Okay found a way to fix this and a reason.  Apparently since IE7 the browser does not set some of the register values commonly used for script launching of the default browser.  May also be true for some of the other browsers.  But Firefox does set them.  So even if you change the default browser these register values are left pointing at Firefox.  There are some tips in some forums about how to change them, but they seem partial and perhaps dangerous.   What I did is simply uninstall Firefox.  Make sure that IE8 is my default and launches adobe help.  Reinstall Firefox (I still had the 3.5.3 download handy) making sure during the install to uncheck the make it the default browser.  Also during the first launch of Firefox said no to making it the default and checking to see if it is the default.  Now my default browser (IE8) launches for help. Something similar probably will work for the other browsers.

• 14. Re: Help Browser
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

What I did is simply uninstall Firefox.  Make sure that IE8 is my default

Yet again.  Isn't there some forum rule about people only using English?  Don't foreign languages have their own forums?  (Though I admit, I haven't yet seen any for non-terrestrial languages.  Hmm.)