1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 17, 2008 6:35 PM by Jim_Simon

Intel Core i7 benchmarking and configuration

Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant
      Since my PPBM benchmarking is:

1. Nonprofit and with the current terrible market conditions seriously impacting any new hardware acquisition capability.

2. Not yet able to provide a consistent repeatable CS4 benchmark.

I thought I would pass on some hardware highlights about the just released new Intel Core i7 family that I have come across if you are interested in a new system.

All I can say is WOW, for instance comparing the current top Core 2 Extreme QX9770 with the new top of the line Core i7-965 Extreme with the Mainconcept MPEG encoder, the new chip is 36% faster at MPEG encoding!

The new chip has the old Intel Hyperthreading revived and the same Mainconcept benchmark with hyperthreading turned on is 17% faster than without hyperthreading.

Those fortunate enough to acquire a new system will have to disregard some old configuration rules like always put in pairs of memory modules, because the new memory controller on the CPU is radical in that the optimum performance is now obtained with three DDR3 modules!

If anyone cares to explore the source of these benchmarks I refer you to the Holiday 2008 issue of the MaximumPC magazine.