1 2 3 Previous Next 83 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2008 7:08 AM by (steve_wiggins)

Dear Adobe, please patch Premiere Pro CS4

Dear Adobe

How come there's a minor patch to Adobe Reader or to Flash every few weeks, yet no patches at all in the automatic updates for Premiere Pro CS4?

I am extremely annoyed with Premiere Pro CS4. It crashes for some dumb reason or another every single day.

The biggest problem of all is the Adobe Media Encoder. Should it crash when I click to change the location of a render? Why does it ask if I want to overwrite a file (say, "test.mov"), then makes a new version of the file anyway ("test_1.mov"). Plus the far more serious problems documented in the forum.

I like the new features, but CS4 is not reliable. No one can work in a product that they can't trust.

People have asked me if CS4 is worth the money for an upgrade. I have been kind and polite, saying, "Well, I have found some bugs, but it has a lot of nice new features".

My tune changed last night. I'm tired of the bugs, crashes, and lack of patches.

I will now say, "CS4 is absolutely not worth buying until it is fixed. Stay away. You'll only be aggravated."
        • 1. Re: Dear Adobe, please patch Premiere Pro CS4
          Level 1
          >It crashes for some dumb reason or another every single day.

I had that problem with Vista 64 until I changed the Vista Theme to Classic Windows. Since then it has been working pretty smooth.

What OS are you using?

>Why does it ask if I want to overwrite a file (say, "test.mov"), then makes a new version of the file anyway ("test_1.mov").

I agree with that one. It is pretty annoying. Especially when you are trying to save space.

Also make sure all your hardware drivers are up to date and also your mother board.
          • 2. Re: Dear Adobe, please patch Premiere Pro CS4
            Don, have you tried a new project with lets say just some bar's and tone and/or universal counting leader, and just trying an export as lets say an h.264 bluray file, from lets say a standard avchd or dv ntsc project?

Also tlc51369 there are a lot of issues with windows vista 64 still (in fact not just vista 64 but vista in general, interesting that microsoft is already working on windows 7 so soon, its almost like their admitting that vista is an epic failure) have you tried on XP 64 (it is an unsupported OS, but should still work)
            • 4. Re: Dear Adobe, please patch Premiere Pro CS4
              (steve_wiggins)
              All I can say is I'm glad I still CS2 installed.
              • 5. Re: Dear Adobe, please patch Premiere Pro CS4
                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                If Pr 2.0 works for you, then we are all glad that you still have it installed, too. :)
                • 6. Re: Dear Adobe, please patch Premiere Pro CS4
                  shooternz Level 6
                  I have 2, 3, 4. (In different machines)

They all work very well and I am happy to edit in any of them. (horses for courses ...of course).

Dont know if I have been lucky but I never ever get the issues that others do. (I am a blessed Premiere User)
                  • 7. Re: Dear Adobe, please patch Premiere Pro CS4
                    Level 1
                    >Dont know if I have been lucky but I never ever get the issues that others do. (I am a blessed Premiere User)

Craig,
                    What is your setup?
                    • 8. Re: Dear Adobe, please patch Premiere Pro CS4
                      Level 1
                      I'm with Craig - I'm blessed to not have any issues that really hang me up.

I honestly believe, and not sure how true it is, that most of my good fortune is due to 1) good computer - HP 8400 workstation 2) the computer has nothing but CS4 and a few other support programs installed 3) I keep drivers and such updated, and roll back when problems show up...like they have with Nvidia and Quicktime.
                      • 9. Re: Dear Adobe, please patch Premiere Pro CS4
                        TradeWind Level 3
                        I have seldom run into any Adobe-caused issues myself, and I would attribute it in much the same way as Eric...good quality computer, well maintained, minimal intrusion from other applications on the machine. I've often looked around the forums here an elsewhere and wondered how I could have been so lucky to have the best setup ever created by man...I just never had any of the issues people were having out there.

That being said, my luck appears to have run out for the time being as I am getting sluggish playback results from PPro, Dynamic Link curiosities, and I cannot get the same fast render times for a simple DV AVI file. It's frustrating, but at the same time, I have started investing into more hardware upgrades, and some of the slowdown is starting to scale back considerably. However, the speediness isn't there yet, and the program in this version just is going to demand considerably more muscle than I anticipated.

All bugs/errors aside, I am still not on board with the track patching technique recently implemented, and some of my plugins (Trapcode Shine, Starglow and 3D Stroke) aren't working until updates are provided by Red Giant Software sometime near the end of this month, or early December. In general, it is a quicker loading and much more feature rich application. If Adobe will issue updates more regularly than in the past, I have no doubt that some of these sticking issues will be resolved soon and we'll quickly forget it ever gave us any problems.
                        • 10. Re: Dear Adobe, please patch Premiere Pro CS4
                          Level 1
                          I had problems with Premiere 1.5 (it kept crashing and gave me strange error messages) until I removed the new new Nvia graphic card and put the old Pahelia card back. It then worked. I also removed the Decklink HD card. The bottom line is that if you have a bug you may have a hardware interference. As harsh as this may sound, everytime you upgrade hardware you risk having a problem. If your system works, don't touch it unless you have testing time available. Also be aware that downgrading may imply having to reinstall windows just to get rid of anything the previous installation may have left behind such as shared files etc.
                          • 11. Re: Dear Adobe, please patch Premiere Pro CS4
                            TradeWind Level 3
                            Well Juju, your words have never been so accurate. Take the compliment :)

However, be that as it may, my current CS4 installation falls under all those categories...installation on the same hardware as CS3, fresh OS install and even a new hardware install. In all cases, the same slowdowns when compared to CS3 are apparent. In fact, one of my machines had 1.5, 2.0, CS3 and CS4 on it, and all versions worked very well except for CS4.

But regardless of my different available configurations, the lowest common denominator remains CS4. It's not a total dog, but it's disappointing in it's combination of great new features and remarkably slower render times over the previous version. Some of the features still save time overall (batch rendering, for instance, which I can now do overnight for all open projects) so it's not like I have much incentive to jump back to CS3 at this point. It's just that all the renders take longer. So if it would have taken 4 hours of sleeping to finish a set of renders before, it's taking 6+ now. The difference is that I can actually bunch all those renders together, which I couldn't do before.
                            • 12. Re: Dear Adobe, please patch Premiere Pro CS4
                              Level 1
                              Christian... wait a minute... are you telling me CS4 takes longer to render than CS3 despite the fact it was designed to take advantage of muli core processors? Could it be that CS4 was designed for Vista and you're using XP or the other way around?
                              • 13. Re: Dear Adobe, please patch Premiere Pro CS4
                                TradeWind Level 3
                                Vista 32, Vista 64 and XP Pro all currently in use.

I think I must be choking the processors with lack of RAM or something...either that, or there is a legitimate bloat issue here.
                                • 14. Re: Dear Adobe, please patch Premiere Pro CS4
                                  tamotion Level 1
                                  I'm reading this thread and I feel like crying. If you thought these problems were only on Windows, sad to say, we have them also on Mac. I think that Adobe has really dropped the ball with CS4. It does not perform as advertised. Period. I am in business using Macs and Adobe products since the early days, and I can't remember issues like these on previous upgrades.

I am running it on 3 separate Macs, very recent models, maxed out with RAM, and the problems are on all machines, so don't tell me it's the install. I never had a problem with CS3. Yes, there were FEATURES lacking, but it worked. Since upgrading to CS4, nothing but problems. Major problems like not being able to render your work, because the Media Encoder is full of bugs. And so on.

The words "class action suit" should be featuring very prominently as the writing on Adobe's wall, unless they can get their act together with a fix very soon, because sooner or later, someone or other who has the resources to do it, will finally say "enough!!"
                                  • 15. Re: Dear Adobe, please patch Premiere Pro CS4
                                    Deemac1965
                                    I'm with you on this one. CS4 has been a complete disaster for me regarding any useful video output. Currently I can't get Premiere to output anything!!!! (gone back to CS3 on another machine)

I can't find a way of by-passing Media Encoder (who's clever idea was that!!? - do we really need yet another fragmentation of our workflow!!)

My concept would be to completely merge and integrate Premiere, After Effects and Encore into one single program and give up this useless botched idea of dynamic linking!! A waste of time at this end I'm afriad. Media encoder is the straw that broke my camel's back!!!!
                                    • 16. Re: Dear Adobe, please patch Premiere Pro CS4
                                      Level 1
                                      Well, I'm not encouraged either. The playback performance is so poor, I could never work with a director or producer watching over my shoulder. It's bad enough we had the audio dropouts with CS3, but now we have 2-3 fps video with CS4.

What's really interesting is watching the CPU loading in Task Manager as CS4's work load varies.

I set up some XDCam footage on the timeline. I had one little section with an overlaid green screen clip and the chromakey filter applied. The rest of the footage is un modified in any way.
                                      When Premiere plays the unrendered chromakey footage, the frame rate drops to maybe 1 frame every 2 seconds, but the CPU load drops to 8%!
                                      When the unrendered footage passes, the frame rate goes up to 3-4 fps and the CPU load goes up to 48-55%. Weird!

Merging and integrating all three apps would be interesting, but the way Adobe writes code, it would probably need 12GB of RAM just to load the app! :-)

I've never seen anything that can perform so abyssmally on a new 3.5GHz quad-core system. My other identical quad core has CS3 on it and I can smoothly edit 4 channels of XDCam footage in multicam mode. This CS4 can't even run smoothly with only one track of XDCam. Obviously, there is some major hardware conflict going on with CS4 for a lot of folks, myself included. I can't imagine a software company would ship a product if it were this bad/unusable on all machines.
                                      • 17. Re: Dear Adobe, please patch Premiere Pro CS4
                                        Level 1
                                        What kind of nonsense software is this?! This has to be the worst, buggiest bit of expensive tripe I've ever come across!

What are Adobe playing at? WHO authorised this release? So, was the application written on a Mac and only tested on one?!

This is utter nonsense. I can't even look for an update as the menu item is not available... even links to look for help on their website dont work.
                                        • 18. Re: Dear Adobe, please patch Premiere Pro CS4
                                          Level 1
                                          Wow...this is getting pretty bad. I'm really feeling really lucky. I can't imagine why so many people are having such a rough go with CS4, while others like myself are just loving it.

Should we all start posting our computer specs(in as much detail as possible) in an attempt to find what's causing the bad performance on some systems? Mark has a got a good system - not that far from what I've got. Something in it though has got to be causing PPro to react the way that it does - something that's not happening on mine(or others).

Anyone else interested in trying?
                                          • 19. Re: Dear Adobe, please patch Premiere Pro CS4
                                            Level 1
                                            I'm interested in seeing a helpful response from Adobe...
                                            • 20. Re: Dear Adobe, please patch Premiere Pro CS4
                                              Level 1
                                              Colin - I agree...Adobe should be here helping out. But think about one thing - if some of us are having a pain free (or less painful) experience, with systems that are very similar, how much fault lies with Adobe? I don't mean to take any responsibilty away from Adobe in providing support for their users...they should. But if they provided as awful a product as many have claimed, ALL of us would be having trouble. And not all of us are...

I'm happy to help out my fellow PPro users...as someone who is having better luck with CS4, tell me if, or how, I can help those of you who aren't.
                                              • 21. Re: Dear Adobe, please patch Premiere Pro CS4
                                                Level 1
                                                >Should we all start posting our computer specs(in as much detail as possible) in an attempt to find what's causing the bad performance on some systems? Mark has a got a good system - not that far from what I've got. Something in it though has got to be causing PPro to react the way that it does - something that's not happening on mine(or others).

Yes Eric...lets list what we have. At least the video cards. I am crashing also on projects. I think it has to do with video card and drivers.

I have a Nvidia GeForce 6800 XT with Vista 64 bit. I am contiplating on getting a new video card but I want to find out what you have so I can determine if I need to purchase it.

Thanks!
                                                • 22. Re: Dear Adobe, please patch Premiere Pro CS4
                                                  Level 1
                                                  I' m crushing often working on 2 monitors, especially when scrubbing-editing with bitmap or jpeg stills. (DV)

WinXPro32 on Quad Q6600 4 gig memory
                                                  Radeon HD 2600 XT
                                                  2 sata & 2 usb drives.

The system is very stable on CS2.
                                                  • 23. Re: Dear Adobe, please patch Premiere Pro CS4
                                                    Level 1
                                                    Am I out of touch or are there no Beta testers for this release? If so, any who were on PC's and not Macs?!
                                                    • 24. Re: Dear Adobe, please patch Premiere Pro CS4
                                                      Wade S Zimmerman Level 1
                                                      Eric their systems are out of date and they do not have enough RAM their video cards need to be updated and that is why they can work with an older version of the product and not the newer version.

I am positive that there are beta testers that are Windows based. For all we know you are one.

I don't work on a PC but from somethings I have read I ha noticed that there is a common but unintentional theme. My system really isn't up to date and really doesn't meet the specs but why doesn't Adobe release patches and fix this problem, but the definition of the problem and a clear cause doesn't see to exist.

I wish you guys well but I think should look a what you have and understand at sometime you have to upgrade and now might be a good time.

Don't get angry at me just suggesting something I think is helpful.
                                                      • 25. Re: Dear Adobe, please patch Premiere Pro CS4
                                                        Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                                                        I assume that Adobe considers these sorts of problems "installation" issues and does not charge for support. Is that correct? Yes, that is no guarantee of success, but that has appeared to me to be an important step in their fixing issues: dealing with specific hardware/OS issues. After all, it only takes one problematic driver to create some of the problems that are reported. And some problems will be Operator Error.

I agree that details can be helpful, but as we've learned before, there can be an amazing list of things that are potentially relevant. Bill Gehrke, I've forgotten what you said about the status of your benchmark, but I think your system is a very important way to translate "Premiere CSx is slow" etc to meaningful information about various computer subsystems. Adobe should hire you to set this up as a troubleshooting aid. (Wil, I'm serious.)

In addition to a list of hardware, there's also the list of troubleshooting steps. E.g. have you turned off "whatever you call that nasty thing in Vista that wrecks your performance".

And, in the case of CS4 (perhaps CS3 was no different), we have to be sure we are talking about the same "task" - SD, vs the many flavors of other video.

One step in this is for Eric and others that have working systems to list their hardware and setup, and for those with very similar systems that are not operating to see if they can sort out differences.

I don't have CS4 yet - CS3, WinXP SP3, P4 2.8, 2G Ram. It's not that I'm waiting for you beta-plus testers to iron out the bugs, I just can't afford it and the new computer I need for it. But, I sure hope you get them ironed out by the time I'm ready....
                                                        • 26. Re: Dear Adobe, please patch Premiere Pro CS4
                                                          (steve_wiggins) Level 1
                                                          I am using a Win XP Pro, 1TB Raid 0 - 5, Quadra 570XP, ASIO audio, 4 gig RAM... CS4 runs correctly. However, I can't get Adobe's updater to install v4.0.1 . It crashes every time. I've disabled every start up program through msconfig; uninstalled Magic Bullet Editors; uninstalled JAVA; uninstalled and reinstalled CS4 from the disks; and yet nothing works to install the new version.
                                                          -------------------------------
                                                          On my other computer, a HP Compaq 6820s, built in February of this year (2008), all of Production Premium runs EXCEPT PPro. The app loads properly, but within 10 seconds of seeing the workspace on the screen, the program crashes... no BSOD, PPro just closes.

I getting really pissed at Adobe for foisting this pig on editors without properly testing it on multiple platforms. What was their big rush?
                                                          • 27. Re: Dear Adobe, please patch Premiere Pro CS4
                                                            Level 1
                                                            I've got a it working on 2 systems - my HP workstation and my HP laptop. In the workstation, I've got a Nvidia Quadro 1500 graphics card. In the laptop, I've got an Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS.

The workstation is running on dual quad core xeons - 2 GHz, 6GB RAM, with Vista 64. It's got 3 internal hard drives, all SATA with no RAID config. The laptop is running on a Core 2 Duo 2GHZ, 2GB RAM, and Vista 32. It's got 2 internal hard drives - one for system files, one for media files. I'm able to edit with no problems on both - and the laptop can play back P2 and XDCAM EX footage with no problems.

Hope that helps. Let me know what else you all need to know.

And for the record, I'm not a beta tester for Adobe - not that I haven't asked though! I'm just a user like the rest of you.
                                                            • 28. Re: Dear Adobe, please patch Premiere Pro CS4
                                                              tamotion Level 1
                                                              Eric - I think you and a whole lot of people here are missing the point. We all know the experience of upgrading. There is never a completely smooth upgrade. That's why no professional systems administrator will upgrade all his computers at one time. And never in the middle of a time-sensitive project. The computer experience is what it is. We live with it. But don't have us customers doing a mea culpa when we are the victims.

The fact is -- CS4 is a dismal failure. It simply does not work. Period. you need only to read through the posts on this forum (and see also creativecow.net) -- under different topic headings -- the theme is that CS4 is not working, for a wide range of users, on a wide range of systems.

But what concerns me here is this: Adobe people read these forums too. Where is Adobe with a public apology and a commitment to fixing this?? Instead of wasting time comparing systems, why aren't you writing Adobe demanding they allocate all their resources to getting this right?
                                                              • 29. Re: Dear Adobe, please patch Premiere Pro CS4
                                                                Level 1
                                                                "The fact is -- CS4 is a dismal failure. It simply does not work."

That's not true. It does work - for some of us quite well. I totally understand that for others, your statement is an absolutely true. But it's not fair to say that it's a dismal failure.

I think that Adobe should play a more active role in these forums, but I think that in this case, we users can, and should, try and help each other in the absence of any Adobe feedback.
                                                                • 30. Re: Dear Adobe, please patch Premiere Pro CS4
                                                                  tamotion Level 1
                                                                  Eric -- I apologize for being rough in my language towards you. I agree with some of the things you said, and yes, we should try help one another. THAT's why we turn to the forums -- for help from other users. This venting of frustration is totally by the way.

The part that I don't understand in your posts, and I have seen this in other posts too -- there is a tendency to think "it's kind of working for me" and you're (more so -- some of the others are) getting all defensive of Adobe and trying to to say, well, users need to be more understanding.

Even if the app IS working for you and others, the failures are very wide-spread. If one insists on being balanced, then -- on balance -- it IS a dismal failure. And why SHOULD I be balanced? Together with other users, I have shelled out good money, invested time and effort, and I have been frustrated and aggravated. And there ARE more problems with CS4 than there were in previous upgrades.

Okay -- I'll be balanced: in what seems to be a marketing error by the software giant Adobe, the early release of CS4, which appears to some users still to be in beta stage, with many kinks and problems, has frustrated and disappointed a large segment of the loyal Adobe customer base.
                                                                  • 31. Re: Dear Adobe, please patch Premiere Pro CS4
                                                                    >And there ARE more problems with CS4 than there were in previous upgrades.

I disagree. I was around here when CS3 was released (and 2.0, and 1.5, and 1.0). The din surrounding the alpha/beta status of a released Adobe product is just about the same as it has been for the other releases.

Here's an interesting thought: If you had fewer problems with CS3 than other users did when CS3 was released, is your statement above an indication that maybe *you* are not being balanced with regard to CS3 or earlier versions? :) ;)

(BTW, I am just kidding. It's good to keep things in perspective.) ;)
                                                                    • 32. Re: Dear Adobe, please patch Premiere Pro CS4
                                                                      (steve_wiggins) Level 1
                                                                      Plain and simple... Adobe released CS4 without proper testing on different platforms in an effort to boost Q4 sales figures. They're not stupid, and surely know that this release is as big a pig as does everybody else. The comments from the apologists for Adobe don't hold water. The company was simply putting this version out for money, with the clear plans to start fixing it immediately. My question is, is Adobe in trouble? FCP is kicking their butt, as well as Avid. Also, I read that Adobe planned on selling 500,000 units (of the video portion only) by the end of 2008 (Videography, October 2008, pg. 22). Maybe they desperately needed the cash, and were willing to cannibalize their own customer base to get it. And before you write back and say that's crazy, why don't you give it a few months, and see what Adobe does.
                                                                      • 33. Re: Dear Adobe, please patch Premiere Pro CS4
                                                                        >And before you write back and say that's crazy

I won't say it's crazy, but I will say that it is only your opinion, and nothing more. Others have different opinions that are equally valid.
                                                                        >The company was simply putting this version out for money, with the clear plans to start fixing it immediately

When Premiere 2.0 was released, with no patches or updates to follow, people said that Adobe did it for the money and left their customers high and dry (very much like your "cannibalize their own customer base" comment) with a release that was unusable.

Apparently there are customers who won't be happy no matter what Adobe does.
                                                                        • 34. Re: Dear Adobe, please patch Premiere Pro CS4
                                                                          Curt Wrigley Level 4
                                                                          CS4 works great for me and many others. Everyone whines and complains when a new release comes out. A Jeff points out, There was just as much complaining about CS3, which is now the ver everyone claims is so great.

If you have a reproducible bug, detail it and adobe will address it. But claiming "CS4 doesnt work" is inaccurate and will simply be ignored by people trying to get useful information from posts.
                                                                          • 35. Re: Dear Adobe, please patch Premiere Pro CS4
                                                                            Level 1
                                                                            >CS4 works great for me and many others

Curt...what video card are you using?
                                                                            • 36. Re: Dear Adobe, please patch Premiere Pro CS4
                                                                              Curt Wrigley Level 4
                                                                              >Curt...what video card are you using?

Asus P5E3 Deluxe Wireless-N Edition
                                                                              Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Quad-Core 2.66GHz
                                                                              OCZ DDR3-1333 Reaper 2048MB w/ Heatpipe Cooling (4)
                                                                              Asus GeForce 9600GT 512MB
                                                                              Vista 64
                                                                              • 37. Re: Dear Adobe, please patch Premiere Pro CS4
                                                                                Level 1
                                                                                I can recall exactly the same kind of complaints when version 5 of the original Premiere was released. When version 6 came out you'd have thought the programming team had just released a few lines of code and asked the users to write the rest of the program themselves.

If you want to know why Adobe staff members don't immediately come on here and placate every user with an individual complaint it's because they've heard it before. And you can be sure that for the complaints that are truly justified they don't have time to come on here because they're too busy fixing it for a future dot point release.

Let the name calling and accusations of "Adobe apologist" commence...
                                                                                • 38. Re: Dear Adobe, please patch Premiere Pro CS4
                                                                                  Level 1
                                                                                  >Asus GeForce 9600GT 512MB

Thanks Curt.

I wonder If I should get one of these. I am getting intermitant crashes and I think it might have to do with my Graphics card. geforce 6800 xt

Have you crashed at all while editing with Premiere CS4?
                                                                                  • 39. Re: Dear Adobe, please patch Premiere Pro CS4
                                                                                    Curt Wrigley Level 4
                                                                                    first make sure you have the latest drivers for your card. it should work ok.

CS4 has been very stable for me. I edit in both sd dv and hdv; using a lot of DL to ae and encore. I open sequences from encore without rendering an intermediate avi; love that feature.

It is very stable. I have gotten hung up in AME a couple times, but not typically. I pound it pretty hard.

Curt
                                                                                    1 2 3 Previous Next