6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2008 4:08 PM by the_wine_snob

Crossing Platforms with Pr CS4

BLecure Level 1
      Can one move a project created on Mac OS Pr CS4 with Project Manager over to a second computer which is a Windows-based Pr CS4 system? Any advice on the easiest method to move this project would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Bruce Lecure
        • 1. Re: Crossing Platforms with Pr CS4
          joshtownsend Level 2
          best way is to just plain use the project manager. Just make sure your source files can play in windows CS4 (so you don't have any codec issues) and you'll be OK. Just remember that if you have any After Effects project they won't be transferred over. You actually have to go in to AE and use 'Collect Files' then put the results in the new folder Premiere creates.

If you don't have AE in the project you should be OK. I say that but project manager has been acting weird in CS3 and CS4. Sometimes after I use the project manager I still have to tell it where the files are.

try it, it's pretty straight forward.
          • 2. Re: Crossing Platforms with Pr CS4
            the_wine_snob Level 9
            Bruce,

One other little glitch with Project Manager is that when it gathers the Assets, any SmartSound music/audio files will not be gathered either.

I've had very few problems taking Mac Premiere Projects to the PC, even some old P6.5 Mac ones into CS2 on PC. Never tried to go the other way though, so cannot comment. That's what I get for living in a "No Mac Zone." [just kidding, no need to write your Congressman, of Steve Jobs.]

Hunt
            • 3. Re: Crossing Platforms with Pr CS4
              joshtownsend Level 2
              Well it only gathers the common formats (wav. mp3, ect) a bigger pain for me if having to go through a bunch of step if I have more than a dozen After Effects dynamic link stuff in it.
              • 4. Re: Crossing Platforms with Pr CS4
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                Ah, so it's NOT just SmartSound. That is good to know. Since I usually convert all of my SD Assets to DV-AVI, and Audio to PCM/WAV, before Import (if they are not already), I have not seen the problems with other formats.

Thanks for reporting. I just "assumed," and obviously assumed wrong.

Hunt
                • 5. Re: Crossing Platforms with Pr CS4
                  Level 1
                  >any SmartSound music/audio files will not be gathered either.

I think that is because the name is way to long. Premiere chokes on it.

One thing you can do is export the audio only and save that for back up.
                  • 6. Re: Crossing Platforms with Pr CS4
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Tlc51369,

Had not thought of that. I do retain the SmartSound default naming convention, and they ARE long. When I noticed the omission, I kinda' expected an error message. None - just no SmartSound files.

Now, I just manually add any SmartSound files to a folder "Music" in the Archive folder structure. If I forget, then I have to transfer the necessary ones over from the NAS, where I keep them archived.

Thanks,

Hunt