24 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2009 10:03 AM by Jim_Simon

CS4 doesn't allow Export Frame as a Still Image??

BLecure
      In CS3, I could create a still image of a frame (tiff file) by placing the CTI on the frame in the Source Monitor and then choose File>Export>Frame. This would create the file and place it in the Project I could adjust the default of the length of the still image through Preferences>General>Still Image Duration.

The File>Export>Frame option is no longer in CS4.......???

Can anyone tell me the quickest way to create or export a still image from the Source Monitor in CS4??

Thanks a TON!

Bruce
        • 1. Re: CS4 doesn't allow Export Frame as a Still Image??
          Eddie Lotter Level 4

See Exporting still images and still-image sequences in the PPro CS4 Help.

Cheers
          Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
          - Over 300 frequently answered questions
          - Over 250 free tutorials
          - Maintained by editors like you
          Forum FAQ
          • 2. Re: CS4 doesn't allow Export Frame as a Still Image??
            Thank you very much for your very prompt and helpful reply Eddie.

Cameraman
            • 3. Re: CS4 doesn't allow Export Frame as a Still Image??
              Eddie Lotter Level 4

You're welcome. Happy editing. Happy editor

You will also find links to many free tutorials in the PremiereProPedia that will quickly show you how things are done in Premiere Pro.

Cheers
              Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
              - Over 300 frequently answered questions
              - Over 250 free tutorials
              - Maintained by editors like you
              Forum FAQ
              • 4. Re: CS4 doesn't allow Export Frame as a Still Image??
                shooternz Level 6
                This new AME workflow for such a simple task is going to be a drag!

Wonder why it was necessary to implement it this way?

Is it possible to batch encode still frames now?
                • 5. Re: CS4 doesn't allow Export Frame as a Still Image??
                  Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant
                  The new AME is a drag period! To encode any output format they are forcing you to use the C: drive for the source. Terrible performance especially if you have any sort of RAID for your Project files. My AVI benchmark takes 16x as long as it did in CS3 with my 700MB/sec read RAID!
                  • 6. Re: CS4 doesn't allow Export Frame as a Still Image??
                    Curt Wrigley Level 4
                    > The new AME is a drag period! To encode any output format they are forcing you to use the C: drive for the source.

AME in CS4 is the highlight for me. (except for the frame export; that is a drag)

And your statement is not correct. AME creates a temp copy of your prj sequence while it encodes the export. This is so you can return to Pr and edit the same seq without interfering with the rendering of the export. It does not move any of your source media.

Curt
                    • 7. Re: CS4 doesn't allow Export Frame as a Still Image??
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      That actually makes sense.
                      • 8. Re: CS4 doesn't allow Export Frame as a Still Image??
                        Single frame capture has become a nightmare, a 3 second operation now takes a minute!
                        Who was the numbskull who decided to change this!!!!!
                        • 9. Re: CS4 doesn't allow Export Frame as a Still Image??
                          Level 1
                          I would imagine that most users of Prem Pro are what could be described as "keen amateurs" - of which I am one. (No disrespect to the professionals who do use it). What on earth were the software designers thinking about when they produced CS4, and left out one of the most useful features in previous versions, i.e capture still frame, with immediate effect and being able to place the still on the timeline. I know AME does this, but surely new versions of software should make life easier not more difficult. There is of course a simple answer to this for many of us - stick with CS3, which actually worked very well. Manufacturers are of course obliged to bring out new versions whether they are needed or not in order to make a living!!
                          • 10. Re: CS4 doesn't allow Export Frame as a Still Image??
                            joshtownsend Level 2
                            I agree it's annoying. I wish they would rewrite the old bloated code called Premiere even if would have meant skipping a cycle.

I was told that because you can now change the sequences settings, it created problems with the software (or they didn't have time to fix all the things that got wonky). So it was a feature they put on the backburner 'to be fixed in the future'

They are supposed to bring it back in the 4.1 update which I was told would be sometime in the next couple of months.

Note, one click After Effects still or movie rendering works. AE also has a built in batch encoder and can still be used in AME.
                            • 11. Re: CS4 doesn't allow Export Frame as a Still Image??
                              Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant
                              It is a first class pain--my partial solution.

I just videoed a wedding and that same evening I capturing the video to the computer. I first opened a CS3 project to capture about ten HDV significant stills and emailed that night 1/2 size JPEG's to the parents, they were absolutely delighted (especially since a week later they still do not have anything from the still photographer). I also then printed the photos on 8 1/2 x 14 glossy photo paper (almost perfect proportions for HDV images) and was showing them to some of the friends of the bride the next morning.

I have now edited it in CS4 and produced a BluRay disc.
                              • 12. Re: CS4 doesn't allow Export Frame as a Still Image??
                                Export a still image
                                Comments (3)
                                You can export any frame as a still image file.

You can prevent distortion when you export still images from non-square pixel formats for use in square‑pixel graphics or video. On the Video tab, in the Aspect menu, select Square Pixels (1.0). Change the Width and Height as needed for the specific format.
                                Select a clip in the Project panel or a Timeline.
                                Choose File > Export > Media.
                                In the Export Settings dialog box, select a still-image format from the Format menu.
                                On the Video tab, deselect the Export As Sequence option (if it is selected).
                                Click the Output Name hot text.
                                Browse to the location where you want to save the still-image file, type a filename for it, and click Save.
                                Drag the current-time indicator to the frame you want to export as a still image.
                                Click OK.
                                Do this for a BMP. Targa etc
                                • 13. Re: CS4 doesn't allow Export Frame as a Still Image??
                                  You got to be kidding. I've been a pen studio user for some time now. Did a hard drive wipe, was about to reinstall it when i decided to check out Adobe per cs4. Downloaded the trial and im very impressed with it. Was about to shell out the 800$ for it till i read this.

When im doing a tape or dvd i like to save 8 or 10 snap shots so later if im looking for a clip i can look thru low res pic files to find out what tape it is on.

Now im in the trial and i followed your instructions above and it worked, but that was a lot to go thru just to get snapshot of a frame. theres got to be a better way?

In studio it is so easy and i did it while i was editing. Why would it be so hard to do in a program that offers so much more??
                                  • 14. Re: CS4 doesn't allow Export Frame as a Still Image??
                                    Level 1
                                    Hi Mike
                                    I tend to agree maybe there should be an easier way as in previous versions.(eg Ctrl-M!)

However the one good thing about the current CS4 > media method is that you can go along the timeline, pick what frame you want, queue it up in the Media Encoder list, go back to the timeline and repeat this as often as you like and then when you are finished set the Media encoder to encode in the background to save your multiple chosen pictures, whilst you continue to work on your project.

Remember to give each new frame a name, plus chose what pixel output you want the frame to be and once completed you can IMPORT all of the pictures back into the timeline or photoshop if that is what you wish to do. Its just another way of doing it, a pain I know but hey it still works.
                                    Hope this helps
                                    Frank
                                    • 15. Re: CS4 doesn't allow Export Frame as a Still Image??
                                      Level 1
                                      Thanks Frank
                                      I see where your going and that would help.

Question: Is there anyway to get a date/time stamp on the photo without doing it manually?

That would be a very cool feature..

I think if I stay with cs4 I will have to change my orqinizing methodes.
                                      • 16. Re: CS4 doesn't allow Export Frame as a Still Image??
                                        Level 1
                                        Hi Mike
                                        I've never really thought about that therefore not so sure, however CS4 does have the ability to pass metadata information between applications so might be a possibility. You can explore this area in the software.

Re reorganising your workflow methods is a good idea. CS4 is a different kinda animal! good luck!

Frank
                                        • 17. Re: CS4 doesn't allow Export Frame as a Still Image??
                                          Level 1
                                          Ok, I think I found a workaround that meets my needs. As I said before, when im working on a tape I like to make a low resolution pic file archived in a folder with the tape name. Then later, week later, month later or years later I can glance thru the pic file to give me an idea what is on that tape. Also use those pics to print a pic collogue to put in a DVD case.

I keep my source monitor on my second monitor sized about 2/3 of the screen. I had to buy screenhunter 5.0 pro for 30$ cause the free version doesnt support duel monitors. I make a screen shot of my source monitor which screenhunter pops into a folder for me. Thats all I need.

Adobe, please put something simple like this in your next version.
                                          • 18. Re: CS4 doesn't allow Export Frame as a Still Image??
                                            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                                            I figured this out too last week. I used Snagit.
                                            Even for dv its not bad. Set the program monitor to full screen and took a screendump.
                                            • 19. Re: CS4 doesn't allow Export Frame as a Still Image??
                                              I really can't believe how bad some of the choices are they made with the CS4s. The fact there's no still export alone is why I'm staying with CS3. Lame.
                                              • 20. Re: CS4 doesn't allow Export Frame as a Still Image??
                                                Phil Griffith Level 2
                                                >The fact there's no still export alone is why I'm staying with CS3. Lame.

There is. Did you read this whole thread? it just goes thru ame.
                                                • 21. Re: CS4 doesn't allow Export Frame as a Still Image??
                                                  don solomon Level 1
                                                  Phil,

By saying 'alone' he likely meant by itself, outside of, not dependent upon, AME.

Let me add my voice to all those who rightfully argue that as implemented, in an obviously unoptimized state, AME is a workflow bottleneck. It alone--but it is not the only good reason--makes it certain that I will, once again, not be buying Premiere at the end of my trial period. I am reasonably certain that won't hurt Adobe's feelings. of course. :)

AE and PS are workhorses in my business, and I long for the day that Adobe gets all its S%$& together with Premiere in a new, fast, stable, solid release so I can finally adopt it to utilize the linkage between it, AE and PS without costly time and effort hits to my professional workflow. Maybe CS5?
                                                  • 22. Re: CS4 doesn't allow Export Frame as a Still Image??
                                                    Phil Griffith Level 2
                                                    won't argue with that. I did the trial and was able to knock out a sd-dvi project on it with no problems. Still I did not see the need to buy the upgrade and from what i read, I will sit back and wait for cs5 maybe. cs3 does everything I need for now.
                                                    • 23. Re: CS4 doesn't allow Export Frame as a Still Image??
                                                      After effect you still have export from the file menu for things like this and make movie from the composition menu for things like batch and media render.You cant even open frame in adobe photoshop which would be a simple way around this.

I like to export short sound clips which also need loading up the whole premiere project in media exporter for just a few secs.

Please reinstall a simple export option in any premiere upgrades!!!

you shouldnt have gotton in this mess in the first place , having two media export sections in premiere CS1, so doing a bad job in cleaning it up is just silly.
                                                      • 24. Re: CS4 doesn't allow Export Frame as a Still Image??
                                                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                        I agree that Export Frame, Audio and Title should return as options in the File menu.