4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2008 3:45 PM by the_wine_snob

The point of multiple video tracks

Level 1
      I am half way through the Adobe Premiere CS3 Classroom in a book and the only time multiple video tracks have been used is when working with multiple cameras and still there the multiple tracks where used only to sync up the four different cameras. In the book, to determine which camera angle to show the sequence had to be dragged into another sequence that was set to multi-camera.

I see different marketing shots of the Premiere screen with lots of video tracks. How sand or why do folks use multiple video tracks? It seems that all the video transitions are between different clips on the same track, can a transition span tracks? Might there be some good videos or books that might enlighten me to some more advanced usages?

Sam
        • 1. Re: The point of multiple video tracks
          joshtownsend Level 2
          it's a good way to test cuts without moving the whole timeline.

Multiple video on the screen is another reason.

Layered video, where the top frame has an effect and the opacity is lowered so it blends with a copy of the video under it.

Custom transitions using overlapping clips.

Sometimes it's quicker to to insert video by putting it on the above layer.

There's no rule that you have to edit using one track, sometimes it's easier just to lay another video on track two. Especially if it's an insert.

Imagine muti-camera but replaced with multi-takes you shot.

There's probably more.
          • 2. Re: The point of multiple video tracks
            Curt Wrigley Level 4
            Chapters 10 & 14 in the CS3 CIB give a few examples of why you would use multiple layers.
            • 3. Re: The point of multiple video tracks
              TradeWind Level 3
              Here's an example...

Video Track 1 - Clip (main program)
              Video Track 2 - Title (lower third graphics)
              Video Track 3 - Title (lower third text)
              Video Track 4 - Over the shoulder graphic (think "news report")
              Video Track 5 - Bug/logo lower left corner

Audio Track 1 - Clip (main program)
              Audio Track 2 - Music (underneath)
              Audio Track 3 - Sound effects (whoosh! zing! bang!)
              Audio Track 4 - Audio commentary (director, talent)

Just something to get your brain going. I've never used more than 10-15 video layers simultaneously (doing green screen work, titles, mattes, etc), and never more than about 6-10 audio tracks. But that's just me....many people need more than that to accomplish whatever they're doing.

Another thought...even though you "can" do transitions and cuts all on one track for most simple projects, some people prefer to use the track numbers as an organizational structure. Put all your cuts for scene 1 on track 1, all your cuts for scene 2 on track 2, and so on. This can be very useful for scanning the timeline and looking for specific changes in the overall storyline (whereas a single, long track would require another system of organization...either sequence markers or perhaps pure memorization).

Hope this helps!
              • 4. Re: The point of multiple video tracks
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                Christian,

You saved me a lot of typing. To add to your example, also the footage and the Track Matte for it, that shows as the "program" playing in the TV in the background.

Hunt