2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2008 1:13 AM by akribie

different aspect ratio issue

I am working on editing my first video. It was shot with both the Panasonic AG-DVX100B and Canon XL2. Everything, both cameras and all sequences in Premiere are set to 720x480, 29.97 fps. For some reason there are black bars on the sides of the Canon XL2 footage, only about 3 to 5 pixels of black bar, but black bar all the same. What is going on and how do I fix it?

Sam
        • 1. Re: different aspect ratio issue
          shooternz Level 6
          Try using Motion and scale the image slightly.
          • 2. Re: different aspect ratio issue
            akribie Level 2
            This type of side bar is a feature of all Canon footage I have been given to edit. It's a real pain when you have to mix it with footage from other sources that doesn't have this characteristic.

It's due to the way the camera records the images. Not a fault, but a design feature.

Depending on your output requirements, there are several ways to respond:

1. As Craig suggests above.

2. If targeting only TV, ignore it since these pixels are in the overscan area. This approach gets increasingly less attractive as more flat screen TVs display overscan areas.

3. If targeting DVD or the web, crop off the edges during transcoding.

I prefer the latter if relevant because it is far less hassle than dealing with individual clips on the timeline.