6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2008 12:30 PM by (Santo_Lopresti)

Cannot play video in monitor, freezes up after update installed

Level 1
      Please someon help me out. After installing update, all my HDV video captured by my canon xha1 plays jerky and freezes up and I have tried new project, changing settings, i even tried system restore to before update but that made it so i could not even open adobe premiere cs4
      i tried just recently, updating graphic drivers...no luck and installing new video codecs...no luck

the video plays fine in bridge, mediaplayer, etc.

i am stumped, i dont want to uninstall and reinstall everything

please i really need some suggestions

I had no problems prior to this update
        • 1. Re: Cannot play video in monitor, freezes up after update installed
          Hi Santo.

I'm having the exact same problem. Only I'm seeing with AVCHD footage. It used to play fine. Now it's really jerky and freezes up after 1-2 seconds of playback. If I stop and start the playback the same thing happens.

This started after the install of 4.01.
          • 2. Re: Cannot play video in monitor, freezes up after update installed
            Level 1
            I have given up trying to fix this issue. I uninstalled Premiere CS4 and reinstalled. Now it works but I have not applied update patch. I will unfortunatly have to wait until either A. another update is made or B. a fix is found. My footage is 24p Canon XHA1 1440x1080 progressive NTSC. I tried different graphic drivers, different quicktime players ie: 7.1, 7.3, 7.5 etc. I tried installing new codes, I tried every different seeting in Adobe in Playback, project settings, sequence settings, etc. I tried opening new projects, still nothing corrected the issue. Plays the file in left monitor but once any size whether it be 2 minutes or 1 hour is placed on Timeline, the Timeline sequence monitor just freezes up, but audio plays fine. I can't do any editing under these circumstances. I also tested CS3 before uninstalling CS4 and it played perfectly there! Overall CS3 is still the best stable adobe editor but not with all the perks of course. I wish update worked but cannot afford to waste another 24 hours, need to finish project.

Someone when i posted this said 'SO WHAT'. I am sad that since I am not a regular poster and not as wise as others, that nobody wants to make any suggestions
            • 3. Re: Cannot play video in monitor, freezes up after update installed
              Having the same problem. Thought it was my graphics card (NVIDIA 8800GT) - but perhaps it's the update. I'm on a brand new machine (same day update was released) so I'll try to re-install without updating and see if problem persists.
              • 4. Re: Cannot play video in monitor, freezes up after update installed
                Level 1
                Don't know if this helps you at all, but I've got some 24f footage from a XL-H1, and I loaded it up in 4.0.1 and it plays fine.

You could try and delete the cache and see if that helps - it's under the preferences...if PPro reindexes the HDV files, it may help.

Also, are you playing the footage off an internal drive, or an external drive? If external, is a USB, firewire, or RAID?

What kind of systems do you have - RAM, processor, OS, etc.?
                • 5. Re: Cannot play video in monitor, freezes up after update installed
                  I HAD same problems.

Update your GPU drivers, Nvidia has released new ones.

DISABLE VISTA AERO!!! This should help A LOT!
                  That really sucks, it isn't compactible with CS4.
                  It's sad because it looks cool.

Hope this will help you!

I have Vista 32bit, Q6600, 4Gb, 8800GT
                  • 6. Re: Cannot play video in monitor, freezes up after update installed
                    Level 1
                    Update: I have reinstalled updates hoping to improve media encoder export. I will have a post a little later on the issue with the lines in the video

I disabled the aero. No improvement
                    I defragged. No improvement

However, I found a rediculous trick that for now seems to allow me to edit

I use the scrool function in the sequence monitor and scroll backwards
                    about 10 frames at least....THEN PUSH PLAY....UREKA it works!

I have to do this each and everytime i move location on timeline
                    It also seems to play unrendered video a little better too!

I only reinstalled hoping to solve another project
                    I have 24p footage from canon xha1
                    timeline is 1080 with 23.976 frames per second
                    The video is 30 minutes long
                    The video has dissolves and some pictures with the video

I have twice now exported with encoder to 720x480 widescreen ntsc 23.976 frames per second progressive

Each time it looks terrible with distint lines in areas of footage like it needs to be deinterlaced. I tried changing filed options on timeline..no luck I used highest quality export settings, both vbr1 and then vbr2 no luckI am hoping that reinstalling update to Premiere will fix this