15 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2008 8:29 AM by Jim_Simon

OpenHD for CS4

Anyone know if they're bringing back the OpenHD program for CS4? From what I understand, it was a way to help you find a computer optimized for working with HD in Premiere. The link on the hardware compatibility page redirects to something else.

I'd like to upgrade to CS4, but I need a computer that'll run it first.

Thanks,
      JB
        • 1. Re: OpenHD for CS4
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          What hardware do you currently have?

And what do you plan to use it for (types of projects, types of media, etc.)?
          • 2. Re: OpenHD for CS4
            Level 1
            Right now, I have a five year old Sony Vaio desktop (a nice computer in its day) with XP 32-bit running CS2. It's time to replace.

For now, I'll be editing SD miniDV footage, but eventually HDV 1080i & 720p, and possibly AVCHD. I'm a little concerned about everyone's problems with CS4. It seems most of them come from running CS4 on an old system.

So, any recommendations? I'd rather build than buy, but I'd need some pointers on what combination of hardware would be ideal.

Thanks,
            JB
            • 3. Re: OpenHD for CS4
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              >a five year old Sony Vaio desktop

That doesn't tell me much. What's inside as far as CPU, memory and hard drive specs?

As far as building your own, I recommend a new Core i7 processor. You can pick one up for about $700 including CPU, mobo and memory (all of which will be required, can't use the old one's for this), and it'll beat anything else out there on a level playing field.
              • 4. Re: OpenHD for CS4
                Level 1
                "I'm a little concerned about everyone's problems with CS4."

Not everyone's having problems - it's running great for me.

"I'd rather build than buy..."

I used to be that way, then I bought my HP workstation...I'll never build again. My workstation has been the best computer I've ever owned. And as I mentioned, CS4 is running great on it.
                • 5. Re: OpenHD for CS4
                  Level 1
                  I didn't get into the details too much because I won't be using that computer for CS4. If you're curious, though, Pentium 4 2.8GHz, 1.5GB DDR RAM, 500GB IDE media drive, 300GB OS/programs drive. Like I said, time to replace.

I've been looking at the new Core i7. Have you had a chance to try it with CS4?

Also, any suggestions for video card? The NVIDIA Quadro CX is more than a little out of my price range. Trying to make a system as smooth as possible under $2000.

Thanks
                  • 6. Re: OpenHD for CS4
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    Your current system will be fine for DV. It might work with HDV, or it might be a little rough. It definitely won't handle AVCHD.

I've not yet tested an i7 myself, just seen the early reviews and benchmarks. Now that the CPUs have actually hit and can be purchased, we should see more of those reviews popping up.

Video cards are a little tougher. In previous versions, the graphics card made very little difference. I just don't know enough about CS4 to say whether or not that's still true. What I can say is that the ATI 4850 is a damn fine card, and can be had for less than $200.
                    • 7. Re: OpenHD for CS4
                      Level 1
                      That's why I was hoping they'd bring back the OpenHD program. I'm not opposed to buying, but at this point, I think I'm going to build. What are your specs?

Thanks,
                      JB
                      • 8. Re: OpenHD for CS4
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        I just priced out some new hardware over at ZipZoomFly. I chose the Core i7 920, Asus P6T mobo, and some Corsair three channel memory. Total came to about $700.

(Now where is that damned wallet...)
                        • 9. Re: OpenHD for CS4
                          I bought my system from BiwayMedia out of Houston Texas training and application support was included with my purchase the cs4 works fine on my system
                          • 10. Re: OpenHD for CS4
                            Level 1
                            >I bought my system from BiwayMedia out of Houston Texas training and application support was included with my purchase the cs4 works fine on my system

How hard are you hitting it?
                            • 11. Re: OpenHD for CS4
                              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                              Sez Jim Simon - 10:55am Nov 26, 08 PST
                              I just priced out some new hardware over at ZipZoomFly. I chose the Core i7 920, Asus P6T mobo, and some Corsair three channel memory. Total came to about $700

Jim... I am in the very early stages of "thinking" about a newer computer (grin... and with me, thinking usually leads to doing... at least once I figure out how to finagle the budget)

Since my last 2 have been based on Intel MBs (Alienware P3 bundle, P4 I built myself in 2004 with Intel D875PBZ MB) with absolute ZERO problems, I'd like to ask what you think about the Intel DX58SO MB -vs- the Asus P6T you bought?

I don't do overclocking so don't care about that, but I don't know anything about the overall reliability of the Asus MB compared to the Intel boards (one lack in the Intel is no "legacy" connectors, so I'd have to find a PCI card to connect my existing parallel port printer... will have to take a look to see what the P6T has)

Anyway... any comments on Asus vs Intel reliability?
                              • 12. Re: OpenHD for CS4
                                Thrill Media Level 2
                                The last two systems I have had have been Intel and I had zero problems as well. I can't comment on the Asus boards but I have only heard good things about them.

I just upgraded my system yesterday to an Core i7 quad at 2.93GHz with the DX58SO board, 8 Gig DDR3 1600 Ram, Vista 64 and the nVidia Quadro CX 1700. I haven't had a lot of time to play with it yet but it seems pretty quick. :)

Curiously enough the weakest link (when using the desktop performance test in Vista 64)is the nVidia card. That kinda bummed me out.

I was hoping to be able to edit footage from the HMC-150 with it without converting(yes, I understand the pifalls of this type of media). I haven't purchased the camera yet but the 1080-24P test footage I downloaded from one site would not play perfectly in PP CS4 as one would hope. I realize that 720 is better with that camera and will be better in PP CS4 as well but I don't have any footage to play with yet.

Good luck with your purchase! :)
                                • 13. Re: OpenHD for CS4
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                                  I've never run an Intel board. I like Asus because they're the only ones with the Speech POST Reporter. (A handy little feature that actually talks to you after the Power On Self-Test to tell you if all is well or, if not, tells you what the specific problem might be, such as bad memory, bad CPU, missing keyboard, etc.)

One thing I found weird about the new Intel board you're looking at is the four DIMM slots. The new i7 platform puts the memory controller right on the CPU rather than the Northbridge, and it's three channel, not dual. Most i7 mobos I've seen have at least six DIMM slots to accommodate the new scheme, as the appropriate DDR3 memory kits now come with three modules, not just two. Not sure you'd get the full benefit of the i7 with the Intel board. Perhaps that's accounts for the lesser price.

Me, I'd go for the Asus.
                                  • 14. Re: OpenHD for CS4
                                    Level 1
                                    Dont reccommend ATI for video cards. Ive run into some BSOD'S when i started using two monitors, and of course ATI is one of those companies, like creative, that dont give a **** about fixing driver bugs once they sell you the harddware. Had to locate some hacked drivers based of a really old version of the ATI drivers to get the system to work.

Whats with the sudden interest people are having in video cards, cs3 never required some massive gaming machine. My ati1950x works fine now, but the lack of support makes me more inclined to go to nvidia.
                                    • 15. Re: OpenHD for CS4
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                                      I've been reading about issues with the newest 8.12 driver from ATI. You should still be fine using an older driver if you prefer their cards.