22 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2008 7:56 AM by (Antonio_Casado)

The new updates don´t fix the problems :_(

Level 1
      I continue to get the same problems:

When I import a image sequence in a 25FPS project, continue to 29.90FPS. In Premiere CS3, the same operation works perfectly. VERY BAD ADOBE

Exporting through Adobe Media Encoder to Quicktime PhotoJPEG at 100% quality the output video remains with ZERO quality. VERY BAD ADOBE

VERY UNHAPPY :_(
        • 1. Re: The new updates don´t fix the problems :_(
          Eddie Lotter Level 4
          >25FPS project

There is no such thing in CS4.

An image-sequence clip has no intrinsic frame rate and will automatically assume the frame rate of the sequence in which it is placed.

Cheers
          Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
          - Over 300 frequently answered questions
          - Over 250 free tutorials
          - Maintained by editors like you
          Forum FAQ
          • 2. Re: The new updates don´t fix the problems :_(
            Level 1
            There IS 25FPS Projetcs. You can set under 720 25FPS project, or create any new
            • 3. Re: The new updates don´t fix the problems :_(
              Level 1
              Could you do an interpret footage on the image sequence and change it to 25fps?
              • 4. Re: The new updates don´t fix the problems :_(
                Averdahl Level 3
                >An image-sequence clip has no intrinsic frame rate and will automatically assume the frame rate of the sequence in which it is placed.

If i import a still image sequence it is always interpreted by PPro CS4 as 29.97 fps and does *not* conform to 25 fps when i place it on a 25 fps Timeline. I must use Interpret Footage to force the interpretation of the still sequence from 29.97 fps to 25 fps, otherwise it will be 29.97 fps footage on a 25 fps Timeline.

/Roger
                • 5. Re: The new updates don´t fix the problems :_(
                  Eddie Lotter Level 4
                  >does *not* conform to 25 fps when i place it on a 25 fps Timeline

It does for me when I tested it. The clip is the same duration in both a 29.97 and a 25 fps sequence. You're saying that without interpreting the clip your clip's duration inexplicably changes in a 25 fps sequence?

>There IS 25FPS Projetcs.

There is not, each sequence has its own settings. The project does not have fps settings.

Cheers
                  Eddie

Forum FAQ
                  • 6. Re: The new updates don´t fix the problems :_(
                    Averdahl Level 3
                    >The clip is the same duration in both a 29.97 and a 25 fps sequence.

Yes, they are. However, if i export 5 seconds DV PAL video as a still sequence and import in into CS4 it is 4.04 seconds long instead of 5 seconds, until i use Interpret Footage and tell it to be 25 fps instead of 29.97 fps.

Thats the problem, that PPro assumes that a 25 fps still sequence is 29.97 and thus making it shorter.

Do a test again with DV PAL footage and export lets say 5 seconds and see if you can import the exported still sequence and place it on a DV PAL Timeline. Is the imported still sequence 5 seconds or not? :)

EDIT:
                    Note that the first export always fails. The second export is correct though...

/Roger
                    • 7. Re: The new updates don´t fix the problems :_(
                      Eddie Lotter Level 4

Roger, I followed your steps as outlined and reproduced the incorrect results. I urge everyone to file bug reports.

Cheers
                      Eddie

Forum FAQ
                      • 8. Re: The new updates don´t fix the problems :_(
                        Level 1
                        Maybe I wrong, but a NEW PROJECT of a DV PAL 25FPS, have a Timeline of 25FPS associated. You say me that NOT IS?. Because ALWAYS, in ALL versions of Premiere, has is.

I repeat, THE SAME TYPE OF PROJECT, in Premiere CS3, it import the animation Stills CORRECTLY (at 25FPS), but in CS4 INCORRECTLY (at 29.90FPS).

Maybe I have to do a Screen Capture or a videocapture to show it, I feel fool, sincerely
                        • 9. Re: The new updates don´t fix the problems :_(
                          Averdahl Level 3
                          >but in CS4 INCORRECTLY (at 29.90FPS).

So, select the still image sequence in the Project panel and go to File > Interpret Footage. Change the Frame Rate to 25 and click OK.

Now the still image sequence is 25 fps instead of 29.97 fps.

/Roger
                          • 10. Re: The new updates don´t fix the problems :_(
                            Level 1
                            I know that I can interpret footage over any clip, BUT I dont want this!!!. Premiere Pro CS3, Premiere Pro 2.0, Premiere pro 1.5, Premiere Pro 1.0, Premiere 6.5....ALL OF THESE, when you import a still footage in a Project of XXX FPS, the new CLIP have THESE FPS!!! (if you import a VIDEO of different FPS, tha original FPS remains, this is correct)

Why not CS4?. It´s a bug or it´s INTENCIONATED!?

I don´t want to repeat an action that always worked until now automatically and I think that it´s THE CORRECT THING!
                            • 11. Re: The new updates don´t fix the problems :_(
                              Averdahl Level 3
                              >BUT I dont want this!!!

File a BR to get this issue solved:
                              http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

/Roger
                              • 12. Re: The new updates don´t fix the problems :_(
                                joshtownsend Level 2
                                And you guys thought I took this news for 24p footage doing this badly.

When they made it so you can bring different kinds of footage in the timeline this problem came out and they said it wouldn't get fixed for a few months.

Premiere used to automatically deinterlace or do pulldowns to all footage based on the preset you picked. It doesn't do it anymore.

It used to be if you brought footage into your project that was a different framerate then you'd have to interpret footage. Now you don't have to do that, but if you have 24 or 25p footage you have to do this even if that is the only footage you use and worked fine in every version of Premiere before that.

Adobe knew about this months ago before they released it. Said there'd be a fix early next year.

Didn't realize it affected 25p also but it makes sense.
                                • 13. Re: The new updates don´t fix the problems :_(
                                  Eddie Lotter Level 4
                                  >You say me that NOT IS?

In previous versions of PPro that was the case, but from CS4 onwards it is not. Each project can have multiple frame rates because the frame rate is set at the sequence level, not the project level.

There is clearly an interpretation problem (and an inconsistent one at that) with still-image sequences but at least you have an easy work-around until Adobe fixes it.

Cheers
                                  Eddie

Forum FAQ
                                  • 14. Re: The new updates don´t fix the problems :_(
                                    Level 1
                                    I don´t understand this. If I load a project in DV PAL, the timeline MUST TO BE 25FPS (or 50i). Same if I load a DV NTSC, the Timeline must to be 29.90 (or 60i).

In previous versions of Premiere, if I import a clip of different framerate that the project (or timeline, as you like) that I created, these clips have the ORIGINAL framerate. It´s logic. But If I import a stills sequence, THE LOGIC tell me that these NEW CLIP must to fit in the FPS of the Timeline/Proyect/whatever.

I notified to Adobe this error, so I think that solve It.

Sadly, I cannot use CS4 because the SERIOUS problems exporting to Quicktime (PhotoJPEG). I cannot export to another type of format because our Workflow is these.
                                    • 15. Re: The new updates don´t fix the problems :_(
                                      Eddie Lotter Level 4
                                      >If I load a project in DV PAL

You're still confusing a project with a sequence ("timeline"), but it's clear you don't want to understand that you can now have DV, NTSC and HD all in the same project. Very powerful and by no means an error.

PPro is not the only way to get QuickTime files for final delivery. Use PPro for editing and something like QuickTime Pro for encoding. Use whatever works for you.

Cheers
                                      Eddie

Forum FAQ
                                      • 16. Re: The new updates don´t fix the problems :_(
                                        Level 1
                                        Well, let see this copypaste composition that I have done:

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/9263/badcs4nw2.jpg

still saying that THIS IS CORRECT?.

About the second question, hahaha, Is this is your solution?. Export in another codec to re-export again in Quicktime, losing more time and space?. Gives me laugh...
                                        • 17. Re: The new updates don´t fix the problems :_(
                                          Colin Brougham Level 6
                                          One more time, from the top...

Hidden under the big number "1" in your graphic, notice that it says "Sequence Presets"... not "Project Presets". You set your framerate (as well as other settings) for each individual sequence you create, and not for the project as a whole, as you did in CS3. As of CS4, every project is completely format-agnostic--it is simply a container for your sequences. The by-product of this is that when you import something like an image sequence, it's going to default to something--ideally, it would default to whatever is your first sequence in your project, or something like that. Just interpret the import as has been suggested, and move on.

As far as export--we've been using intermediates for as long as there have been NLEs. Perfect solution? Hardly. Solution? Definitely.
                                          • 18. Re: The new updates don´t fix the problems :_(
                                            Level 1
                                            Well...I see PART of the problem. When you create a new sequence, Premiere show all the projects. So, how you can say, you can have a different projects with different timelines and different FPS into that.

Mixing different types of media and timelines into one commom project is cool. But importing a still sequence and FOR DEFAULT apply 29.90FPS to this sequence, is not cool if you work in 25FPS ALWAYS. Maybe, when importing a "indeterminated media", the logic is ASK what FPS you want. Photoshop ASK this when you import a image sequence. Or a setting that vincule the FIRST sequence to a FPS timebase.

I think that this new procedure will have serious problems in the "NON 29.90 FPS World" because for default one can think that If I import a still sequence into a project 25FPS based, IT WILL BE 25FPS, not 29.90.
                                            • 19. Re: The new updates don´t fix the problems :_(
                                              Level 1
                                              > As far as export--we've been using intermediates for as long as there have been NLEs. Perfect solution? Hardly. Solution? Definitely.

For me, Exporting to Quicktime PhotoJpeg it´s a Mastering and Intermediate solution. The file that I created later I will compress to another, but I found that it´s the best quality/size file export in my projects.
                                              • 20. Re: The new updates don´t fix the problems :_(
                                                Phil Griffith Level 2
                                                Antonio, obviously the program is not what you want. to right click on a still and select interpret footage is beyond you and too much effor. Rather, you spend all this time complaining that you shouldn't have to. I have the same problem with my car. I want it to start and drive by itself but I am forced to make an effort. And so you should pack it up and return and and use windows movie maker.
                                                • 21. Re: The new updates don´t fix the problems :_(
                                                  Colin Brougham Level 6
                                                  Antonio,

I do agree that there should be a dialog that pops up (like when importing a PSD file) or at least a program-wide "default" setting for something like the image sequence imports. At present, though, there's nothing like this, so a feature request is in order. It's not a bug, I don't think, because it's just a result of the new paradigm of how projects work. For most people and most applications, it's a fantastic development--for you, it sucks. We hear you, but Adobe doesn't hear you on this forum. Make that feature request, and they will.
                                                  • 22. Re: The new updates don´t fix the problems :_(
                                                    Level 1
                                                    What?. I have using Premiere from the 5.1 version. So I want to continue using it.

I have a answer from Adobe, that say that THERE IS an OPTION called "indeterminate media timebase" that defaults have 29.90. BUT if you put 25FPS, the stills images imported have the same thing: 29.90fps.

I only ask me WHY if I load a FIRST project/timeline/whatever in a 25fps rule basis, the import of stills images doen´t FIT in this simply rule. I know that with the new CS4 there is not a FIXED FPS (it´s cool, I repeat). But I think that a simple "rule" or simply a miniquestion asking "WHAT FPS want in your new stills animation import", can be really useful.

I repeat, that this new version it´s really COOL, and I want to use it NOW. But things like this make that I remain in CS3 (that I consider "obsolete"). If only Adobe fix the Quicktime problems exports...ONLY this...arg...

thank you all for your patience with me