5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2010 3:23 PM by Harm Millaard

64-bit Premiere Pro?????

Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant
      I just got an email from Adobe about the new update. This is one sentence from the email.

"Additionally, Adobe Premiere Pro 4.0.1 was re-architected for 64-bit operating systems to use large memory more effectively (up to 20GB of memory for Adobe Premiere Pro alone, up to 64GB of memory for a large Production Premium workflow)."

Has anyone seen proof of this in actual use?
        • 1. Re: 64-bit Premiere Pro?????
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          No proof, but it sure sounds good. If this proves to be true, it makes sense to increase memory to 16 GB at least, possibly even to 32 GB.
          • 2. Re: 64-bit Premiere Pro?????
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            I wonder how it does that without being a 64 bit app.
            • 3. Re: 64-bit Premiere Pro?????
              olympialogger

It's almost March 2010 and I need to add to this thread.

Firstly, it's a small world.

My brother-in-law and all my nieces and nephews are Gehrke's.

And I know Harm from the old Serious Magic forum.

Anyway... I've got my Premiere Pro installed on Win7 and the only Adobe app in the "program files" directory is Photoshop 64bit.

Everything else is in the "program files(X86)" directory with the 32bit apps.

Wassup with that?  Is that a clue for me that my PremierePro CS4 is NOT running in 64bit?

(My motherboard and quad-core are both 64bit)

Did I miss a stitch with I installed Adobe or is there some other explaination?

Thanks!!!

Sam Brandt

• 4. Re: 64-bit Premiere Pro?????
                Curt Wrigley Level 4

Pr CS4 is a 32 bit app only.  It is written to take advantage of a 64 bit environment, but it is a 32 bit app.

Yes; it does run better on a 64 bit machine with lots of memory; but it is not a 64 bit app.

• 5. Re: 64-bit Premiere Pro?????
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Hello Sam,

Long time no see as they say in the Caribbean. Good to see you here. Dennis is sometimes around as well, but I do miss Karl and Mark's input, as well as some of the older Serious Magicians and regulars. But I still have fond and good memories from all of your valuable input and support at the SM forums.

You are quite correct. With the exception of PS Extended, all CS4 programs are still 32 bit applications and install in the X86 directory. They have been optimized for 64 bit environments, but essentially are 32 bit applications. That will change with CS5, which is around the corner and will be 64 bit only.

Nice to have you here.

You may have to grow accustomed to the tone here, it is a bit different than in the old SM forums, but it is a pretty active place and a lot of experiences are shared, which will help you get up to speed. If you have any questions do use the private mail function and let me know. I'll get back to you.