22 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2009 12:14 PM by the_wine_snob

No Audio in the timeline and no sound as well using CS4

We have installed CS4 Premiere Pro. When we imported a video clip, there was an error message "audio conforming error". the image part showed up but there was nothing (no sound, no wave length on the timeline). We can work on this video file on CS3 version on the other computer. Please help.
      Lily
        • 1. Re: No Audio in the timeline and no sound as well using CS4
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          What kind of video file is it? Where did you get it?
          • 2. Re: No Audio in the timeline and no sound as well using CS4
            Level 1
            i have tried avi and mp4. all of them were not working.
            • 3. Re: No Audio in the timeline and no sound as well using CS4
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              Most often this problem occurs when people try editing clips that were not meant to be edited, only watched.

Try using a clip captured from a tape based MiniDV camera. See how that works.
              • 4. Re: No Audio in the timeline and no sound as well using CS4
                Eddie Lotter Level 4

FAQ: How do I import xyz format files?

Cheers
                Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
                - Over 300 frequently answered questions
                - Over 250 free tutorials
                - Maintained by editors like you
                Forum FAQ
                • 5. Re: No Audio in the timeline and no sound as well using CS4
                  Level 1
                  Hi, This is my first post, so apologies if I screw up! I am editing with a windows xp pro dual core 3gh 4gb ram 2tb of hard drive in a pc especialy built for hdv editing by Scan computers of England.
                  I'm using cs4 premier pro, capturing hdv from a canon XhA1 via firewire, I have a black magic intensity pro but can't use it because cs4 don't support it yet.
                  My Problem,I have captured 2 hours of hdv from 2 mini dv tapes sucessfully, the third tape the footage contained no audio, video was fine but audio track was silent and no waveform showing, short version, tried 5 times each failed, but the footage played perfectly in windows media player,tried recapturing prior tapes, same problem, when trying a short test capture, 5 minutes, all is fine, but next capture fails. Have rebooted, captured to diff drives, removed temp files etc, tried total re install of cs4, left over night. premier shows warning after conformation on time line as folows " An Unspecified error occurred while performing a conform on the following file" It does not list any file. Thank you for any suggestions.
                  • 6. Re: No Audio in the timeline and no sound as well using CS4
                    Harm Millaard Level 7
                    Try capturing with the free HDVSplit. It will also give you Scene detection.
                    • 7. Re: No Audio in the timeline and no sound as well using CS4
                      you know what Jim Simon i hate responses like yours. you did the same thing to me when i posted a problem. people come here for solutions not dead ends which you seem so very happy to give them.

you say: "Most often this problem occurs when people try editing clips that were not meant to be edited, only watched" like you know it all. you don't.

facts are that these files people are having problems with are fine to edit.. i repeat THEY ARE FINE TO EDIT the problem is premiere.

Adobe seems to have made this program for pros not armatures as you will never hear of a pro using cameras which record mpeg like us armatures use.

i've used Ulead, sony vegas, pinnacle, windows movie maker and many, many more and these files work 100% fine everytime. but the problem with these programs is that you'll always be a noob cos they are very limited. Now use premiere pro cs4 and there are issues with the audio not importing.. just the video.. i might just add however that premiere pro cs4 imports the audio most times. but just sometimes it wont and its very frustrating i know.

solution?

yes i have one for you.

you need some music editing program like cubase or logic audio or u can even use recordpad which has 1 simple function and that is to record.

now you need to simply play your video in VLC or WMP and just record the audio in real time. sux i know but if you wanna use premiere pro then this is the solution for that issue.

Jim Simon please be aware that people come here for a solution. not dead ends. so think about your responses.
                      • 8. Re: No Audio in the timeline and no sound as well using CS4
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        >facts are that these files people are having problems with are fine to edit

Many times, they're not.

>Adobe seems to have made this program for pros not armatures

That's my point. If you want to use professional level software, you'll have better luck using a more professional camera. If you want to use a consumer camera, you'll have better luck editing with consumer level software (like Ulead, Windows Movie Maker, etc.)

There's your solution. Use the right tool for the job. Premiere doesn't edit everything. If other software edits a users clips, he'll have to use that software.
                        • 9. Re: No Audio in the timeline and no sound as well using CS4
                          Level 1
                          who said premiere edits everything? are you ok there jimmy? he has the software and he has an issue. if you're not gonna help him find the solution then don't answer
                          >you say: There's your solution. Use the right tool for the job.

perfect example of your dead end responses. yes.. the right tool for his case is an audio recording program to help him past this issue. not your stupid one. did he say "dear jim, please tell me i need to spend another 1200 dollars on another camera that premiere will like cos i currently have a 'shoot and watch' camera, also, please tell me to use another software because i've clearly started using adobe to encounter this issue and come to this forum for you to give me your lame solution to use other programs that im not using because thats why i came to this forum in the first place jim. it was for you jim to tell me to get a new camera or get a new program". did he???

please jim get a dictionary and look up 'solution' then once you've looked that up read the following:

do not respond to these poor guys on these forums unless you have a solution.

your answers give them no hope. shame on you
                          • 10. Re: No Audio in the timeline and no sound as well using CS4
                            Phil Griffith Level 2
                            you know I went to look at your messages on this forum and I didn't see anything constructive on your post! All you do is criticize everyone else that tells it like it is. Some people think that since they want it, then that's the way it should be. If you want to buy a cheap camera then don't expect it to work like an expensive camera . Don't buy a kia and expect it to ride like a bmw.

So look up solution then once you've looked that up read the following:
                            Do not respond to these poor guys unless you have a solution.
                            • 11. Re: No Audio in the timeline and no sound as well using CS4
                              Harm Millaard Level 7
                              > he has the software and he has an issue. if you're not gonna help him find the solution then don't answer

That is a lot of cr*p. If he has a hammer and needs a screwdriver, it helps to tell him he is using the wrong tool. It is no help to keep your mouth shut, when the answer is obvious. That you do not like the answer is your problem.

> your answers give them no hope. shame on you

And your answers do??? Shame on you too. Your posted name is VERY accurate if I go by the quality of your answers.
                              • 12. Re: No Audio in the timeline and no sound as well using CS4
                                Level 1
                                please see my post here: http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b75868
                                • 13. Re: No Audio in the timeline and no sound as well using CS4
                                  I discovered that my Adobe temporary disk was full (where the Media Cache Files are). When I deleted some unneeded files, I was able to get the audio just fine. Why Adobe doesn't have a better error message, I don't know ..
                                  • 14. Re: No Audio in the timeline and no sound as well using CS4
                                    Kevin Kavanagh Level 1

The same problem occured with the early version of CS3.  Apparently Sony Cameras use a compressed audio in its MPEG2 files with a ac3 extension.  The fix for Premiere in CS3 was to copy the ad2ac3dec.dll from Adobe Encore folder has placed it in the Premiere folder.   This dill is not present in the CS4 version.  I have the same problem and currently am trying to seak a resolution.

see http://forums.adobe.com/message/1722979#1722979 for reference

Kevin Kavanagh

• 15. Re: No Audio in the timeline and no sound as well using CS4
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

Same solution applies.  Use pro cameras with Premiere Pro.  Use consumer software with consumer cameras.

• 16. Re: No Audio in the timeline and no sound as well using CS4
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Kevin,

It has been suggested by several, that the workaround that you mention, no longer works with CS4. I do not have it, so I cannot check the validity of those suggestions.

Still, when faced with material that proves problematic for PrPro (any version) to handle, one can most often find a way to convert that material to something that WILL work better. Sometimes there is a quality hit, but this has often taken place BEFORE the conversion.

To borrow on Harm's example and to paraphrase, if faced with the prospect of trying to drive a screw with a hammer, if one replaces the screw with a nail, things will likely go much more smoothly. Now, in so doing, the connection made with the nail will likely not be a good, or as strong, as with the screw, but will often work. That's what the conversion does.

The Premiere-wiki has many good suggestions for conversion techniques and programs. There is even one for Converting AC3 Audio.

Hunt

[Edit] Oops, Eddie has already posted the wiki links much earlier in the post.

• 17. Re: No Audio in the timeline and no sound as well using CS4
                                          Eddie Lotter Level 4

Hunt, some things are worth repeating.

Cheers
                                          Eddie

• 18. Re: No Audio in the timeline and no sound as well using CS4
                                            Linny76

I have a similar problem and its driving me crazy.  I am a teacher at a school and we are using CS4.  It took me about 5 months just to get the software to install correctly (there was another program clashing) and now that its on and working I am getting no success with sound.  The files work fine in Media Player but when they're imported into PP they have no sound, and when I drag them onto the timeline there is no visible audio track - just the video one.  I have spent hours trawling forums etc to overcome this.  We are using Canon FS11 camera which have mod files - but I have used the Cyberlink director program to change these to avi files that worked fine when i had CS3 at a previous school.  That doesn't help.  So i thought maybe we just bought the wrong cameras - however when i tried to import an avi that worked fine when i used it in a CS3 project last year the same thing occured - no sound, just audio.  Then I thought, ok, its a cs4 thing.  So just moments ago I tried to use the same files on my own home computer (which has the exact same CS4 install on it) and it works fine - sound and audio are lovely!  HELP Me PLEASE!!!!

• 19. Re: No Audio in the timeline and no sound as well using CS4
                                              Jim_Simon Level 8

i thought maybe we just bought the wrong cameras

That's a good thought.  Follow that thread and pick up some tape based MiniDV models.  They're the best choice if editing with CS4 is your goal.

• 20. Re: No Audio in the timeline and no sound as well using CS4
                                                Linny76 Level 1

Using mini dv camera makes no difference.  Just video, no sound.  Also the footage from the FS-11 works on CS4 on my home computer, just not the one at work.  Any thoughts that don't involve the camera as I have eliminated that as the cause.

• 21. Re: No Audio in the timeline and no sound as well using CS4
                                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Then your hardware/software combo is wrong.

• 22. Re: No Audio in the timeline and no sound as well using CS4
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Linny,

Do you get Audio output from any other source files in PrPro? If you have not tried other source files, just grab a .WAV from Windows and give it a try.

If you get no Audio from that, go to Edit?Preferences>Audio Hardware and tell us your settings, especially the ASIO - a screen cap of that dialog box would be helpful. Could be a setting, or possibly an ASIO problem. For those, many have had great success by installing ASIO4All, and using it for both Input and Output.

Good luck,

Hunt