11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2008 2:40 PM by (Christopher_Glaeser)

raid 0 required?

heybobbo
      the adobe web site states that for PProCS4, raid 0 is "required". Is this true? Or is it just "best" configuration?
        • 1. Re: raid 0 required?
          Curt Wrigley Level 4
          Actually, this is what the adobe web site says:

b "Dedicated 7200 RPM hard drive for DV and HDV editing; striped disk array storage (RAID 0) for HD; SCSI disk subsystem preferred"

RAID is not required for dv or hdv.

Curt
          • 2. Re: raid 0 required?
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            Nor for P2 or EX1 media, I'd wager. And with these solid state systems, where there is no "tape original", a RAID 0 could be disastrous. You'd be much better off with a RAID 3, which offers much of the performance benefits of RAID 0, but with data security in the event of a drive failure.
            • 3. Re: raid 0 required?
              Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant
              If your controller does not support RAID 3, RAID 5 is just as good.
              • 4. Re: raid 0 required?
                heybobbo Level 1
                I'm sorry i wasn't clear. I DO want to edit HD from a Sony EX1.

I'll transfer the video from the camera to a laptop hard drive, then from there to my editing workstation hard drive.

So can I edit from the dedicated 7200 RPM hard drive?

If not, would it help to add Prospect HD? would that allow me to get away with not having a raid array?

thanks -
                • 5. Re: raid 0 required?
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  >I DO want to edit HD from a Sony EX1.

Then I'd stick with a RAID that has data redundancy over RAID 0.
                  • 6. Re: raid 0 required?
                    Level 1
                    > You'd be much better off with a RAID 3, which offers much of the
                    > performance benefits of RAID 0, but with data security in the event of a
                    > drive failure.

Another solution is to use a workflow that maintains separate copies for
                    storage and editing. For example, I maintain the original clips on a NAS
                    with RAID 5 and edit on a computer with RAID 0. NAS RAID 5 is getting
                    pretty cheap.

Best,
                    Christopher
                    • 7. Re: raid 0 required?
                      fuaho Level 1
                      If your controller will handle it, I'd highly suggest using RAID 10. This is a combination of striping and mirroring and is IMHO the fastest and safest. It requires 4 HDD and you only get half the storage space but error correction is worth way more than the extra cost of the sata drives.

I recently had an error on one of my drives. Using the RAID BIOS, I pulled it out of the array and then added it back in. System automatically rebuilt in the background with no loss of time or data. Everything is back to normal.

HTH,
                      • 8. Re: raid 0 required?
                        Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant
                        Great Success Story! Just use RAID 10 as a project drive and not for the OS.
                        • 9. Re: raid 0 required?
                          heybobbo Level 1
                          william, when you say "If your controller will handle it..."

what exactly is the controller? it a card that coordinates the HDs?

and Bill, would this RAID 10 be configured so that the computer saw it as a single HD? that requires a card that coordinates the RAID 10 HDs?

thanks doods...
                          • 10. Re: raid 0 required?
                            fuaho Level 1
                            Robert,

In my case, the controller is an integral part of my Intel DX48BT2 motherboard, but there are controller cards available if needed.

It is configured as a single 1-TB drive, even though it consists of 4 physical 500GB drives.

HTH,
                            • 11. Re: raid 0 required?
                              Level 1
                              I have a) a 1TB internal four SATA drive RAID 0 for editing and b) a 2TB NAS
                              RAID 5 for storage. Regarding the internal RAID 0, I probably would do that
                              differently now. I think a better solution for my needs is two cases, one
                              for the computer with a RAID card and another case for the external RAID 0
                              drives. This accomplishes two things. First, I could power down the
                              external RAID box to save power and reduce noise when not in use, and
                              second, I could easily upgrade the computer and attach the external RAID
                              drives to the new computer.

I guess my number one complaint of my system is the noise. With a C, D, and
                              four drive RAID (total of six drives), plus high end graphics card, multiple
                              CPUs, etc, it's a bit noisy. Would be nice to power down the RAID when not
                              in use.

Best,
                              Christopher