1 2 3 Previous Next 116 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2008 4:55 PM by (tlc51369)

So where's the CS4 forum?

Level 1
      Where is the CS4 forum? Where is the CS4 talk? Where is the CS4 plug-in compatibility list? What about Cineform and CS4? We need information to upgrade, and the problem is that until we have the information we are stuck with our current versions of Premiere. For those who want to play it safe and upgrade to CS3 we can't do it anymore as Adobe only sells CS4 now. It's time to get the CS4 information and support on the road ASAP!!
        • 1. Re: So where's the CS4 forum?
          TradeWind Level 3
          Well, as for the user-to-user forums, and product support...probably not a lot of need for that until there are actual users.

A good place for the CS4 discussion is right here. I've seen a lot of discussion about 3rd party products and plugins already (mostly questions, few answers). A lot of the 3rd party guys are still preparing their own releases or updates. In a lot of cases, the 3rd party products will remain compatible between versions CS3 and CS4.

Notable exceptions to this are likely to be products from Matrox. Most of the underlying architecture remains the same in CS4.
          • 2. Re: So where's the CS4 forum?
            Level 1
            Specifically any news on:

Cineform
            Red Giant Magic Bullet
            Gen Arts Sapphire

And is CS4 backward compatible with earlier versions of these software products as well as with earlier versions of Premiere projetcs?
            • 3. Re: So where's the CS4 forum?
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              It's probably a safe assumption that CS4 projects will not open in older versions Premiere, at least until we find out with certainty.
              • 4. Re: So where's the CS4 forum?
                Harm Millaard Level 7
                If you have registered your software, you have been informed about that. The fact you pose the question implies you have not registered that software, so what is the relevancy to you?
                • 5. Re: So where's the CS4 forum?
                  Level 1
                  Red Giant sent out an email saying they would announce CS4 compatibility soon.
                  • 6. Re: So where's the CS4 forum?
                    Level 1
                    This forum is owned by Adobe, so it is them that will decide when to create the new CS4 forums, and once the software is out and actually released, at that time they will create the new forum and sub-forums for all things CS4, just as they did for CS3.
                    • 7. Re: So where's the CS4 forum?
                      Level 1
                      David Zeno:

When the software is out? What are you talking about? It's out already. In fact you can't even purchase CS3 anymore on the Adobe Website. So as far as I'm concerned CS4 is more than OUT. It's sitting there like a stranded whale ion a beach and everybody's looking at it not knowing what to do next.

Harm:

What are you talking about Harm? I did not get any mail from Adobe regarding CS4 (and yes I do have registered software). I also have Magic Bullet 2.1 and Sapphire 1.071 and Aspect 3.4. Now before I upgrade to anything I need to know how many of these plug ins will still work, the costs and availability of mandatory upgrades. I think these plus ins are industry standards and Adobe should not make each and every customer take chances when upgrading. So the question is: Will plus ins which work with CS3 still work with CS4 and will previous Premiere projects open with CS4? Adobe should test this instead of putting the software out there without information.
                      • 8. Re: So where's the CS4 forum?
                        Level 1
                        Just as a side note to the ongoing discussion, Jerry and I are discussing whether there's a need for a dedicated CS4 sub-forum, or whether we want to just wrap all Premiere Pro versions under the one roof. It was different when we only had to differentiate between the old Premiere and Premiere Pro, and even handy when there was such a difference between version 1 and version 2, but with 4 different versions of Premiere Pro out (5 if you count 1.5) the load on keeping an eye across all those sub-forums is getting a little unwieldy.

I realise this is going to cause kneejerk reactions, as well as the odd measured response, but for now it's just in discussion phase. If you have a positive contribution to the discussion please feel free to share it.

As for gathering information on CS4 at this stage, that's more a job for a thread like this than a whole sub-forum. So keep asking and answering questions, and try to keep off the broad and baseless accusations.
                        • 9. Re: So where's the CS4 forum?
                          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                          KL,

I like your idea a lot. The most differentiation you see in the Photoshop forum is between the Mac and Windows versions, and between Big Brother, Elements and Lightroom. And AE doesn't even do that. Encore has a bunch of sub-forums, but those seem unwieldy after a while.

IMHO, I think an all-versions Premiere Pro forum is the best way to go. I can take or leave the idea of splitting it between Mac and Windows.

-Jeff
                          • 10. Re: So where's the CS4 forum?
                            Level 1
                            I agree - one forum for everyone.
                            • 11. Re: So where's the CS4 forum?
                              Jim_Simon Level 8
                              I'd suggest maybe two major categories - Windows and Mac. Under those headings, create two forums - one just for the new CS4, and a second combined for older versions. This keeps things a little more focused for users than just the one. Having them all combined is actually something I'm not crazy about for the Encore set.

I think the new features alone in CS4, which look to be more than CS3 and 2.0 had combined, might be good reason to keep CS4 separate from the pack.

I also think we can expect to see a drop off of questions for older versions once CS4 hits the streets in earnest. Keeping CS4 separate will negate the need for most users to state which version they're using - something I expect many people would leave out if all versions were combined in to a single forum (just look at how many fail to mention third party add-ons in the first post, where it should always be). With a separate CS4 forum, that becomes something we can assume for the majority of questions.
                              • 12. Re: So where's the CS4 forum?
                                Level 1
                                >one just for the new CS4, and a second combined for older versions

I second that!
                                • 13. Re: So where's the CS4 forum?
                                  Curt Wrigley Level 4
                                  My knee jerk reaction is one Pr forum, perhaps with a mac/pc subforum. But a forum for every release is too tedious.
                                  • 14. Re: So where's the CS4 forum?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                    For what it might be worth, I'd add my vote to the others. Premiere Pro under one main subject, with platform differences to separate specific issues.

Though I am still on CS2, I try to read the CS3 material, to keep up. The same will be said for CS4, though I do plan on upgrading to this release.

Reflecting on the CS2 and CS3 forum differentiations, I find much applies to either, with some exceptions.

Since I've spent some time on the P Elements forum, I see too many folk dismiss earlier versions (especially with regards to FAQ's), when many answers apply to all PP versions.

Hunt
                                    • 15. Re: So where's the CS4 forum?
                                      TradeWind Level 3
                                      I upgrade with each new release and stay connected on the older forums (in case there's something I can help with) so for me it would change nothing to have all posts on one forum. In fact, I even subscribe to the Mac side, even though I don't use PPro on Mac or use a Mac at all anymore.

For the most part, I find that very few issues that people actually bring up have anything specifically to do with one version or the other, or one platform or the other. It's usually a lot of beginner stuff, or "how-to" stuff. Even the wiki isn't as subdivided as this forum, and that's supposed to be the be-all end-all for information these days (thus, we keep directing people to it).

For troubleshooting purposes, it is helpful to be able to assume that persons posting in the CS3 forum or 2.0 forum are actually on those versions, but that seems to not be the case sometimes anyway, leading us to need to clarify version number before proceeding. So....

All that being said, a single subdivision for CS4 doesn't bother me, but I'd be perfectly fine (me, personally) with all the versions and platforms under one heading.
                                      • 16. Re: So where's the CS4 forum?
                                        Level 1
                                        Leonard, it all boils down to this: The more people in a forum, the more chances somebody will see your post and respond to it. As a result I always go to the forum with the biggest traffic. 90% of the questions are not version specific anyways. As a result I always post my questions in the CS3 forum as I have noticed I always get three responses here for every one response in the Premiere 1.5 forum.

Bottom line: The less forums, the bigger the traffic in each forum, the better.

Here is how I would organise the forums:

PC Premiere Pro (All Versions)
                                        MAC Premiere Pro (All Versions)
                                        Premiere (All Versions)
                                        Off Topic

Camera discussions and hardware and any video related questions are also traffic dependent and therefore I would not make an independent forum for them. Word to the mother.
                                        • 17. Re: So where's the CS4 forum?
                                          akribie Level 2
                                          The biggest problem with one jumbo catch-all forum is the reluctance of people to say which version they are asking questions about. At least with segmented forums you can respond based on that version rather than having repeatedly to query people for more details before an answer can be given in many cases.

So my vote is to keep them separate, but to offer an alternate view where they all roll into one for those who prefer it that way.
                                          • 18. Re: So where's the CS4 forum?
                                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                                            >you can respond based on that version rather than having repeatedly to query people for more details

Bingo!
                                            • 19. Re: So where's the CS4 forum?
                                              Jim_Simon Level 8
                                              >Even the wiki isn't as subdivided as this forum

That depends on how you look at it. Granted, there aren't overall separate headings, but many of the questions do have version specific answers, because often the answer changes depending on the version being used.
                                              • 20. Re: So where's the CS4 forum?
                                                Eddie Lotter Level 4
                                                I'm with Christian. One forum to rule them all. ;)
                                                • 21. Re: So where's the CS4 forum?
                                                  Level 1
                                                  What versions of Premiere will support this product?
                                                  When will the latest version of Premiere be released?
                                                  Will this motherboard work with Premiere?
                                                  Will dual processors work with Premiere?
                                                  Is 25P a problem for Premiere?
                                                  What plug ins do I need...

etc...

None of these questions are version specific. In fact, it is better to have users with different Premiere versions answer questions as this provides a more comprehensive and global help for all issues. I don't see why it is such a big deal that specific versions may have to be specified by users in their posts if necessary.

I say, one forum with many people is always better that many forums with few people.
                                                  • 22. Re: So where's the CS4 forum?
                                                    Level 1
                                                    Separate forums...I don't want to look through a WHOLE list of items to find something specific to CS4.
                                                    • 23. Re: So where's the CS4 forum?
                                                      Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                                                      Separate forums please.
                                                      • 24. Re: So where's the CS4 forum?
                                                        Level 1
                                                        One forum...I don't want to have to post in four forums just to get to the person able to answer my question.
                                                        • 25. Re: So where's the CS4 forum?
                                                          Harm Millaard Level 7
                                                          Suggestion to keep some semblance of structure:

A. Premiere Pro CS4
                                                          1. Editing Hardware/drivers/OS related issues
                                                          2. Camera's
                                                          3. Ingest/Capturing
                                                          4. Premiere editing questions/issues
                                                          5. Plug-ins and other software
                                                          6. Export questions/issues
                                                          7. Dynamic Link questions/issues
                                                          8. Other issues
                                                          B. Premiere Pro CS3
                                                          etc.
                                                          C. Premiere Pro 2.0
                                                          etc.
                                                          D. Premiere Pro 1.x
                                                          etc.
                                                          • 26. Re: So where's the CS4 forum?
                                                            Level 1
                                                            >Suggestion to keep some semblance of structure:

A. Premiere Pro CS4
                                                            2. Camera's
                                                            3. Ingest/Capturing
                                                            8. Other issues
                                                            B. Premiere Pro CS3
                                                            etc.
                                                            C. Premiere Pro 2.0
                                                            etc.
                                                            D. Premiere Pro 1.x
                                                            etc.

Sounds good to me!
                                                            • 27. Re: So where's the CS4 forum?
                                                              Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                                                              I have not found the numerous forums for encore that helpful and don't think Premiere multiforums will be either. a) I read all the encore forums, answer what questions I can, and the title of the post and its content is more important than the forum the poster picked. (And encore forums are not even divided by version.) b) When I need info, I go to the root of encore and search. "slideshow" issues are not just in the slideshow forum, etc.

It will not be difficult for posters to state their version of premiere, just as encore users manage to do. While posters never seem to provide enough detail for some of us, it is easy enough for them to respond as to version of premiere.

I agree that a platform difference (PC vs Mac) may make sense, but most of the content is not platform specific - more operating system specific!

The most meaningful forum structure is:

Premiere: Questions for Eddie to give the best Wiki links
                                                              Premiere: Questions Eddie's links don't answer
                                                              • 28. Re: So where's the CS4 forum?
                                                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                                >I don't want to have to post in four forums

The solution there juju is to actually upgrade. Then you can concentrate your posts in the correct CS4 forum, but older versions still have their own combined forum, which will likely see a drop off in questions once CS4 ships in quantity.
                                                                • 29. Re: So where's the CS4 forum?
                                                                  Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                                                                  Do you guys vote multiple times in elections, too?
                                                                  • 30. Re: So where's the CS4 forum?
                                                                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                                    >It will not be difficult for posters to state their version of premiere

Difficult, no. Next to impossible to get all posters to do so in the original question, definitely. We have a hard enough time getting third-party info now, often going a dozen or more answers in before that critical information is discovered. That's why two categories makes sense - one for older, and one just for CS4. Granted, posts in the combined "Older" forum will have the same problem of getting version info, but there will me much fewer questions to contend with over there. It would be a PITA if we had to deal with that for all questions.
                                                                    • 31. Re: So where's the CS4 forum?
                                                                      Curt Wrigley Level 4
                                                                      A. Premiere Pro CS4
                                                                      2. Camera's
                                                                      3. Ingest/Capturing
                                                                      8. Other issues
                                                                      B. Premiere Pro CS3
                                                                      etc.
                                                                      C. Premiere Pro 2.0
                                                                      etc.
                                                                      D. Premiere Pro 1.x
                                                                      etc.
                                                                      ------------------------------------
                                                                      You cant be serious!

We are fortunate if folks get in the right sw forum let alone the right sub category. Keep It Simple! Its a forum, not a database.

Curt
                                                                      • 32. Re: So where's the CS4 forum?
                                                                        akribie Level 2
                                                                        Could we not use user profiles to store version/OS/etc info and automatically add that to all posts? We'd still need to cater for those who haven't bought yet, I guess, so it couldn't be compulsory, but it could save a lot of toing and froing for the many who miss basic info from their first posts.
                                                                        • 33. Re: So where's the CS4 forum?
                                                                          TradeWind Level 3
                                                                          David J - yes, we could, but that would require changing the forums here, which has been attempted in the last year or so (perhaps twice in the last couple of years) and caused so many problems that I think Adobe has just given up trying to update the forums at all.

The former Macromedia products have better forums (IMHO), but I believe they were brought over in their current state during the acquisition.

These really are pretty remedial forum setups for such a big software company.
                                                                          • 34. Re: So where's the CS4 forum?
                                                                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                                            I like them a lot better than what they tried to go to. Now that was a mess, even when it worked.
                                                                            • 35. Re: So where's the CS4 forum?
                                                                              Level 1
                                                                              What debate is just silly. King Leonard originally mentionned that he wanted to lighten the load in having to monitor many forums. So segmenting forums into sub categories is exectly what one should not do.

The second reason this debate is silly is because even if you do create sub forums, in the end there will always be one which will attract the most traffic and that is the one where people will post. So if you create a CS4 and a CS3 forum and a 2.0 and a 1.5 forum and a Camera forum and a Hardware forum, what will happen is that people will post in wherever the traffic is more dense. Nobody will post in the Camera forum if all the people who know something about cameras never visit the camera forum. Nobody will post in the 1.5 forum if 80% of the responders are in the CS3 forum. Finally people will always post in the latest forum (in this case CS4) because they will assume that's where the experts are.

Bottom line, you can create as many sub forums as you want but if it makes things more complicated for moderators and is not used by users then it's just empty talk.

I say: One premiere pro user forum for PC, one premiere pro user forum for Mac, and one off topic forum for non moderated posts. That's it.
                                                                              • 36. Re: So where's the CS4 forum?
                                                                                Level 1
                                                                                This debate is just silly. King Leonard originally mentionned that he wanted to lighten the load in having to monitor many forums. So segmenting forums into sub-categories is exactly what one should not do.

The second reason this debate is silly is because even if you do create sub forums, in the end there will always be one which will attract the most traffic and that is the one where people will post. So if you create a CS4 and a CS3 forum and a 2.0 and a 1.5 forum and a Camera forum and a Hardware forum, what will happen is that people will post in wherever the traffic is more dense. Nobody will post in the Camera forum if most people never visit the camera forum. Nobody will post in the 1.5 forum if 80% of the responders are in the CS3 forum. Finally people will always post in the latest forum (in this case CS4) because they will assume that's where the experts are.

Bottom line, you can create as many sub forums as you want but if it makes things more complicated for moderators and is not used by users then it's just empty talk.

I say: One premiere pro user forum for PC, one premiere pro user forum for Mac, and one off topic forum for non moderated posts. That's it.
                                                                                • 37. Re: So where's the CS4 forum?
                                                                                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                                                  We still end up with the issue of getting users to post which version they're using. That's not a good thing. With a total of four Premiere categories - PC/Mac and a CS4/Older for each - the mods have less work, and we'll have less frustration about version checking. Everyone wins.
                                                                                  • 38. Re: So where's the CS4 forum?
                                                                                    Level 1
                                                                                    Jim if you can keep it down to 2 PC forums I would go along with it. However questions such as "what's the difference between CS3/2.1/1.5 and CS4?" would fit into neither forum as many of the CS4 users may never have used specific other versions and non-CS4 users users won't know much about CS4. I think separating MAC and PC is a must but anything beyond that is not really necessary.
                                                                                    • 39. Re: So where's the CS4 forum?
                                                                                      TradeWind Level 3
                                                                                      I still say that separating PC/Mac and versions 1.x/2.x/CS3 is unnecessary since a huge majority of the questions have to do with stuff like techniques/concepts. On the instances where there is a bug issue ("hey, why does the title panel always get messed up??") we "experts" around here can easily identify the version (CS3). When it comes down to those occassions where a user is getting previously unrecognized error messages or system incompatibility problems, that's when we need to dig down deep. I, for one, have no problem adding an extra post to the line of questions to ask version #, especially since we're going to all need additional clarification on system configuration and application setups.

About the percentage of users argument...well, I have no concrete information on the matter, but I will hazard a guess that most of the users around here tend to be on the current version within 3-6 months of the newest release. My estimate includes both the "experts/regulars" around here as well as the occasional passer-by. Most people with earlier versions - 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, soon to be CS3 - will have had those versions for a little while now, and have probably figured out most of the quirks and issues.

I said it before and I'll say it again...the forum arrangement doesn't really affect me anyway, so I don't really have much of a horse in this race. I receive posts from multiple PPro forums via e-mail, and I just delete anything that I can't help with or don't want to get involved in. This results in a couple hundred e-mails every day, but deleting is easier for me than browsing through the forums to see what new topics there are, or which ones have new posts since I last logged on. I only see the directory structure once in a while and I get exhausted just looking around. From my perspective as someone who usually helps out more than I post my own issues/questions, it works best for me to just subscribe and get e-mails.

From a newbie perspective, I'd think a single forum would be easier, too, since they can run their questions on a search through one forum instead of searching multiple forums (again, very helpful when their question is more about "how do I make video look like film in PPro" and less about "why am i getting this error message?" where the answer is sometimes version-specific).

Last thing I'll say...PC/Mac differences aren't that profound in the forums here. There are some filters and stuff on the PC that aren't on the Mac version, but the programs operate the same way, and most of the file format stuff is the same, too. Only difference is that if there is a bug and their system is Mac, those of us on the PC side won't have anything to say. I guess we could just tell them "take it to a Mac store." In those instances, we can probably also expect the other Mac "experts" to step in.

Sorry for the long post, I think I've said all I have to say on the matter at this point. :)
                                                                                      1 2 3 Previous Next