32 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2008 6:51 PM by Bill Gehrke

CS4 complaints already...

Level 1
      http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/3/886720

Makes me a little nervous. Hopefully he just does not have his hardware set up correctly.
        • 1. Re: CS4 complaints already...
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          I didn't see anything that worries me.
          • 2. Re: CS4 complaints already...
            Level 1
            >"CS4 slow, buggy, and unstable (crashing over and over again)"

That seemed a little troubling to me.
            • 3. Re: CS4 complaints already...
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              From one person, not so much to me.
              • 4. Re: CS4 complaints already...
                shooternz Level 6
                Export a still frame by opening AME Standalone kind of worried me.

Take Audio /Video Button gone ... concerned me.
                • 5. Re: CS4 complaints already...
                  Dan Isaacs Level 2
                  > Export a still frame by opening AME Standalone kind of worried me.

It really does suck. Very slow process -- it's annoying even when trying to export simple stills for testing purposes. I can't even imagine doing it "on-the-job", so to speak.

I do like the overall "concept" of the standalone encoder, but routing all output through AME is impractical (and it killed DebugMode FrameServer, which I'm not sure I'll ever recover from).

All in all, the ability to queue multiple sequences outweighs convenient still-frame exports, but I really do hope they bring back a one-click option for this.
                  • 6. Re: CS4 complaints already...
                    Level 1
                    I'm a beginning user of PP, having used CS3 successfully to make some QT movies from stills from my 3D software. I had used the trial version of PPCS3. When it came time to buy, there was only PPCS4 available on Adobe's site, so I bought it a couple days ago.

I assembled another similar project with still images, cross dissolves, VO, and a soundtrack.

Most of my originals were good quality at 675px W x 900px H (vertical format). In order to get a clean original master QT movie, I set my video to 675px X 900px, Animation, 32bit, progressive, quality 100, 30 fps, sound uncompressed.

But the output looks like it's made of dithered GIFs of 128 or 64 colors! And the dissolves are very noisy. I've never seen that quality degrade with those kinds of settings?

Any ideas anyone?
                    • 7. Re: CS4 complaints already...
                      Level 1
                      Hearing that CS4 uses even more RAM than CS3 completely kills it for use in Windows XP--CS3 loads up and my RAM usage is at 3.21GB, leaving not much room for anything else. I can't imaging how CS4 is going to run on Windows XP if it uses more than 3.24GB of RAM. I read Adobe's blurb there that suggested memory usage was improved so that running dynamic linking would be possible. Maybe that was only for Windows 64-bit?
                      • 8. Re: CS4 complaints already...
                        shooternz Level 6
                        Note absence of Take Video/Audio Button (Link)

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremierePro/4.0/WS40D098AD-37B2-4a0e-A46C-2C27F2CD0864.html

Interested to see how I will adapt to this. Looks a little like how FCP works (which I hated)
                        • 9. Re: CS4 complaints already...
                          Eddie Lotter Level 4
                          >Note absence of Take Video/Audio Button

You didn't look hard enough. The source monitor has a movie frame button for take video and a speaker button for take audio. ;)

Time for people to start watching the CS4 tutorials. ;)

Cheers
                          Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
                          - Over 300 frequently answered questions
                          - Over 250 free tutorials
                          - Maintained by editors like you
                          Forum FAQ
                          • 10. Re: CS4 complaints already...
                            Curt Wrigley Level 4
                            Sounds like a setup problem. Ive not experienced the problems that guy in the original post is talking about.

And regarding the take audio/video buttons; they made it easier for mouse oriented people and if you are a keyboard shortcut person there are improved shortcuts for sending audio/video to the timeline. So I dont see the problem there.

Curt
                            • 11. Re: CS4 complaints already...
                              Level 1
                              Hi Eddie, are you talking about exporting a single frame ? so there is a button for this ?

Also where are all those CS4 tutorials coming from ?, that's amazing you have the time to add those to the database, I'm very impressed that you are on top of this - all-the-time !

P.S. - there are enough tuts there now, that I cannot located the one where it shows you how to export a frame.

Can you post a direct link please Eddie :-)

Thanks,

Dave.
                              • 12. Re: CS4 complaints already...
                                Curt Wrigley Level 4
                                Exporting a single frame is a pain the neck in CS4. Thats one thing CS4 made ridiculously hard. Its due to the new workflow that AME handles all exports in batch. So, to export just a single frame you have to go through AME.

Curt
                                • 13. Re: CS4 complaints already...
                                  Eddie Lotter Level 4

David, no the "take video" is for getting video onto the timeline, not for exporting a frame.

Unfortunately exporting a frame is now very tedious. Please file a feature request for frame export directly from PPro. The features that are included in CS5 will depend on user demand.

Cheers
                                  Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
                                  - Over 300 frequently answered questions
                                  - Over 250 free tutorials
                                  - Maintained by editors like you
                                  Forum FAQ
                                  • 14. Re: CS4 complaints already...
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                                    >CS3 loads up and my RAM usage is at 3.21GB

Takes up about 150 MB on my system. Even with a finished project loaded, it rarely goes over 300 MB.
                                    • 15. Re: CS4 complaints already...
                                      Level 1
                                      >Sounds like a setup problem. Ive not experienced the problems that guy in the original post is talking about.

Hey Curt...what platform and hardware are you running CS4 on?

I upgraded to Vista Ultimate 64 bit and 4 gig of ram on a Pentium 4 - 3.4 ghz. I hope that should work out pretty well for Mini DV.
                                      • 16. Re: CS4 complaints already...
                                        Curt Wrigley Level 4
                                        I run on Vista 64 home premium. Works great.

But your cpu speed is at the bottom edge. I think it will work ok for dv but you would experience pain if you try to edit hdv or avchd.

Curt
                                        • 17. Re: CS4 complaints already...
                                          Level 1
                                          Thanks Curt,

Dv is all I am working with at the moment. The costs for HDV is not worth it to me at this point. I am hoping by the time I go HD I will not have to deal with HDV. I don't like Long GOP structure.

How do you think I will do with multiple applications open with 64 bit and 4 gig of ram? (Sticking with DV)
                                          • 18. Re: CS4 complaints already...
                                            Level 1
                                            Joe, when you mention 150MB, is that with CS4?

CS3 loads up and consumes about 1.7GB before any project is loaded on my 4GB quad core. After project is loaded, memory use reaches 3.24GB. Some projects use a little less, some even more. I have one project that has about 230 XDCam clips in it and I only get about 2 minutes of editing in that one, until I get the warning message that Adobe is running low on memory.

Knowing that video card memory is subtracted from Windows memory, I'm rather concerned about upgrading my GeForce 8800 to a QuadroCX which has something like 2GB of video memory--that would reduce memory for applications to just 2GB--not enough to run Premiere CS3 at all. I do hope CS4 uses a LOT less RAM, or else it's just not going to be useable except with the most modest of GPUs (ie, 128MB video RAM).
                                            • 19. Re: CS4 complaints already...
                                              Jim_Simon Level 8
                                              >when you mention 150MB, is that with CS4?

Not yet. Will be ordering the box version this week.
                                              • 20. Re: CS4 complaints already...
                                                Level 1
                                                Which version of Premiere Pro are you talking about? CS3 certainly won't run in only 150MB. Maybe you meant 1500MB?
                                                • 21. Re: CS4 complaints already...
                                                  Level 1
                                                  The only complaint that I have is that it isn't here yet. I didn't do the download option, and even though my credit card's been charged and the Adobe Store site says it should be here tomorrow, I've got no tracking number and a call to Adobe customer service yielded a response of, "It should be there sometime by the end of the month. We don't have a tracking number for you even though we do have a shipping number"...oh, and I paid for the quickest shipping option possible.

UGH!
                                                  • 22. Re: CS4 complaints already...
                                                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                    >Maybe you meant 1500MB?

No, 150 MB. Actually when I looked I was running 2.0. I was editing on CS3 today, but forgot to look.
                                                    • 23. Re: CS4 complaints already...
                                                      Level 1
                                                      That explains it. CS3 is a memory hog. 32-bit space is often not enough for it. Projects with large numbers of clips in the bin are the biggest memory hogs.
                                                      • 24. Re: CS4 complaints already...
                                                        Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                                                        Where are you getting the number? I'll check mine; CS3 older system, only 2 gig, never get memory errors as such.
                                                        • 25. Re: CS4 complaints already...
                                                          Level 1
                                                          Task Manager reports the memory usage. Look at the bootup of XP and then load Premiere and look at the difference. Then load a project and look again. I go from about 280MB in use at boot, to 3.24GB with a Premiere project loaded.
                                                          • 26. Re: CS4 complaints already...
                                                            TradeWind Level 3
                                                            On XP Pro, my Task Manager shows only 1.8 GB utilization of 4 GB available...this is with CS3 running (also running DebugMode FrameServer, Sorenson Squeeze 4.5 and FileZilla but those are neglibible). Still, I don't recall ever seeing more than 2.5 GB max usage by PPro CS3 on my system.

I'm only using a dual core though, so with a quad I can see PPro accessing more RAM overall (but that's a good thing...available RAM isn't doing anything to help your system during editing, whereas utilized RAM up to the total physical RAM available means that the machine is rolling nicely). That being said, there is a problem if simply launching the application (without opening a project file) is using that much RAM on XP Pro.
                                                            • 27. Re: CS4 complaints already...
                                                              Level 1
                                                              I just got CS4 today, and got it up and running on my laptop. Everything looks good so far, although one thing I noticed is that the tool bar doesn't stay where I moved it to. I tried creating a custom workspace, but it always goes back to under the audio meters when ever I reopen it.
                                                              • 28. Re: CS4 complaints already...
                                                                TradeWind Level 3
                                                                Awesome...ordered from Amazon last month (cheaper than Adobe, plus no shipping) and I see I'll have it in about a month from now. See you chaps then I guess!
                                                                • 29. Re: CS4 complaints already...
                                                                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                                  I did have the chance to check CS3's memory usage yesterday. About 250 MB with an empty project. That grew to about 350 with a smallish sized project loaded.

Not sure why someone might see over 3GB of memory used. That's seems quite excessive.
                                                                  • 30. Re: CS4 complaints already...
                                                                    I had PP 2.0 adn just loaded a film I was working on in PP2. It tends to dog it., and it show 2.02 GB used. I am not having the responsiveness I experienced in PP2.

Duo Core 3.2ghz, 4 gig ram

Kevin L

also, anyone know what happened to video and audio usage indicators that used to show up in the project window. I use that all the time. Plus the ability to hide or show columns (ie file path, etc) I know the metadata pane shows that, but it is really helpful to see a macro listing of all the file paths and vid/aud usage.
                                                                    • 31. Re: CS4 complaints already...
                                                                      Level 1
                                                                      Note to the point made previous.
                                                                      Found that info I was looking for in the Metadata Display options in the project panel.
                                                                      • 32. Re: CS4 complaints already...
                                                                        Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant
                                                                        The architecture of the new CS4 Premiere apparently was changed to "support larger projects and use more memory on 64-bit systems". If you will notice there are two new processes active when you fire up Premiere this is how there will be more total memory available made available to individual processes.

In addition as you use more Premiere functions I have seen up to 10 total processes that are required when you fire up AME with Premiere.