10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2008 4:22 PM by (Marc_Sparks)

CS4 Help files

Level 1
      I do not get any action on either the help button or with the F1 key. Any suggestions. Did I do something wrong during installation?
        • 1. Re: CS4 Help files
          Level 1
          If you can still access help from the drop down menus,
          could be your keyboard F Lock button has been pressed.
          • 2. Re: CS4 Help files
            Level 1
            Sorry, I did not explain my problem clearly. When I click the drop down menu help or press F1 my browser starts and I am taken to the adobe help screen. This is not the context specific help I get in CS3. If I use the drop down menu help and then select one of the how to topics I my browser starts but this time it takes me a context specific web site that is just like the local help in CS3. Is there no local help in CS4?
            • 3. Re: CS4 Help files
              Curt Wrigley Level 4
              The web help is the new model. It allows adobe to update it, add links to 3rd party tuts as theyare developed etc...

If you want the pdf style help like in cs3, look on the right column of the help screen for a link to printable help. This is the pdf style you are used to.

Or start the PC without an internet connection and the local will default.

Curt
              • 4. Re: CS4 Help files
                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                Is there not one on the disk in pdf?
                • 5. Re: CS4 Help files
                  Eddie Lotter Level 4

Ann, yes there is, but the one downloaded from the Help Web site will always be the most up-to-date.

Cheers
                  Eddie

PremiereProPedia   ( RSS feed)
                  - Over 300 frequently answered questions
                  - Over 250 free tutorials
                  - Maintained by editors like you
                  Forum FAQ
                  • 6. Re: CS4 Help files
                    Level 1
                    You will find Adobe CS4's html help files in folder:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Help

At the appropriate sub folders of this folder you can find your CS4 applications help files, in your language. For example, Adobe Premiere Pro's help files in English are at the folder:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Help\en_US\PremierePro\4.0

You can make a shortcut to index.html file in this folder and put this short cut at your desktop or start menu. You can easily reach it off-line by doing this way.
                    • 7. Re: CS4 Help files
                      juskocf Level 1
                      Is there a hidden or built-in shortcut key to launch the pdf help directly from within CS4 please ?
                      • 8. Re: CS4 Help files
                        Level 1
                        Murat, I have done exactly as you suggested and it works but it would be more convenient to have what jusko asks for. It seems strange that this option has not been built into cs4.?
                        • 9. Re: CS4 Help files
                          Level 1
                          Yes, you're right Mike... It would be more comfortable to reach helps within applications.

In fact, I looked a bit to files and registry. And I found a way to do this. You can reach help subjects from application (Premiere Pro, After Effects e.t.c.) menus or pressing F1 key.

1) Open main help folder:
                          (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Help

2) Find and open your applications folder in your insallaion language

For Premiere Pro (English)
                          C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Help\en_US\PremierePro\4.0

3) You'll find a text file named "helpmapBaseUrl.txt" in this folder. This text file has one line content, the url of the help file. And this url points the on-line help files at Adobe site. You can simply change this URL to point the help files in your hard disk.

For doing this, open this text file in notepad.

It has the line

"http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremierePro/4.0"

for Premiere Pro.

Change this line to:

"file:///C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Help\en_US\PremierePro\4.0\index.html"

(May be this forum page will separate long lines. Ignore it! You must write the path at one single line... There is no 'end-of-line' or carriage return. You can copy from above lines, without quotation marks of course.)

... and finally save this text file, overwriting original. It's done. Now you can use your F1 Key or menu for help files in Premiere.

That was for Premiere Pro. You can use same method for After Effects, Photoshop or Other CS4 applications.

For After Effects:

Fint the text file named "helpmapBaseUrl.txt" in folder:
                          C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Help\en_US\AfterEffects\9.0

Open this text file.
                          You'll see the original help url as "http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0"

Change this line to:
                          "file:///C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Help\en_US\AfterEffects\9.0\index.html"

(There is no end-of-line or carriage return again. Write all in single line. You can copy from above lines, without quotation marks of course.)

Save the text file overwriting original. It's done for After Effects.

You can reach every help subject on help menu instantly from your hard disk now.

I showed the way for Premiere Pro and After Effects. But you can use same method for other CS4 applications if you want.

One last note: I supposed your applications on standart "C:\Program Files" main folder. If it's not, you have to change the paths according your main installation path.
                          • 10. Re: CS4 Help files
                            Level 1
                            Thanks Murat! It's idiotic that we should have to do this manually, but it's better than nothing.