10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2009 11:15 PM by joshtownsend

CS4  output HD project to SD fixed?

mickkeay Level 1
      Anyone know yet if this is any better? eg Burning a SD (DVD) with adobe workflow. Or is it still necessary to use Dan's Debug Frame server / Avisynth method. Or for that matter does DebugFrameserver work in CS4.
      Thanks
        • 1. Re: CS4  output HD project to SD fixed?
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          Depends, depends, no.
          • 2. Re: CS4  output HD project to SD fixed?
            Dan Isaacs Level 2
            Hi Mick --

Unfortunately, CS4 appears to be no better at these conversions -- save for the fact that the colorspaces are now handled correctly.

Harm is correct: DebugMode does not work in CS4. I am formulating an alternative workflow... The gist of which is to export an intermediary from CS4, such as high-bitrate MPEG-2 I-frame 4:2:2. You can also use an AVI codec like Cineform (as always).
            • 3. Re: CS4  output HD project to SD fixed?
              mickkeay Level 1
              Thanks Guys... Aghh.. A quick adobe workflow from HD project to SD DVD would have been so useful for me. Think I'll have to sit on the fence for a while
              • 4. Re: CS4  output HD project to SD fixed?
                Hey guys, I hate to disagree, and I have been using Dan's workflow in CS3 for a long time, but when I use the export mpeg 2 high quality option in ame it looks wonderful, MUCH better than CS3.
                • 5. Re: CS4  output HD project to SD fixed?
                  Level 1
                  What problem is there with HD output to SD?
                  We produce a LOT of DVDs using XDCam footage produced in an HD workflow and the final DVDs look so good that we FREQUENTLY get comments from clients and viewers to the effect that they think it looks like HD. In fact, it looks as detailed as broadcast HD 720P, but without the MPEG artifacts of broadcast.
                  We've been producing with CS3 for over a year and have always had great results, even with some HDV streams mixed into our HD streams.
                  Our most recent project involved a four-camera shoot, a mix of 2 XDCam 30P streams, an HDV 30PsF stream and an HDV 60i stream and all looked great on the final DVD. I don't see where the problem being discussed exists.
                  • 6. Re: CS4  output HD project to SD fixed?
                    Level 1
                    CS3 had a major problem with HDV to SD mpeg 2 conversions. I'm not sure about HD because we shoot HDV. As far as I can tell this HAS been fixed in the new AME. All the footage I have rendered with it looks great.
                    • 7. Re: CS4  output HD project to SD fixed?
                      Dag Norum Level 2
                      Now Dan,

I have been watching more or less all of your comments and great help you have provided when it comes to de-interlacing and HD to SD-dvd. And, I must admit that the examples you have shown and the work-flow you have provided (together with Jim and Jeff) have been convincing. Not been trying it out myself yet, but I have seen some "scary" signs of not too good behavior from Premiere when it comes to down-sizing, so I have had my eyes very open for your way of dealing with that.

Now (again), Mark Weiss is a guy that has a very photographic (stills) mind (which I think is the best when you deal with video), and he can pin-point differences between a ISO 100 and a ISO 200 film (ISO used to be called ASA), well, he missed by 40 ISO once :). His eyes when it comes to details must be taken into consideration!

Now (third time), Dan, I really hope you "hammer" Mark for details on how he gets his results, could be that he has a work-flow that gives good results also, just as yours, but maybe native Premiere.

Dag
                      • 8. Re: CS4  output HD project to SD fixed?
                        Dan Isaacs Level 2
                        Thanks, Dag...

It's been a little while since I've done tests with AME CS4. I'll have to get back to y'all on that.

It seems that Mark is talking about progressive HD sources? These do work fairly well. It's the 1080i stuff that's problematic.

Please post something for me: Perhaps the original 1080i clip and your 480i output so I can compare.
                        • 9. Re: CS4  output HD project to SD fixed?
                          Dan,

Just curious... have you done anymore testing on CS4's ability to create even passable SD output from HDV projects?
                          • 10. Re: CS4  output HD project to SD fixed?
                            joshtownsend Level 2
                            Have you tried using the 'max render quality' checkbox that appeared with 4.0.1 update? I thought that was for better quality rescaling?