12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2009 4:47 PM by Edit 1 Media

CS4 - Large Projects

Level 1
      Has anybody tested CS4 with large projects? How does it handle it? Memory usage and response time?
        • 1. Re: CS4 - Large Projects
          I'm using Premiere Pro CS4 since last week... I just edited my 45 minutes long TV show in Premiere Pro CS4... Here's my experience: Unfortunately, when it comes to large projects with lots of video clips and multi sequences, Premiere Pro has extremely long opening times... Working on projects is accurate, I didn't experienced annoying slow response times e.t.c. But opening a large project takes much longer times than CS3. In fact, while opening large project files, I thought "it won't open, this must be a crash", because of very long waiting times.

But I have to say again: Working on these large projects is very accurate... Respond times is not at light speed but definitely acceptable. May be a little bit slower than CS3.

Only annoying part with large projects is opening times. But in my experience, CS4's new features and productivity enhancements made my work flow more comfortable and faster than CS3. I immediately loved it... Keeping its "plus" sides on the mind, I think long opening times with large projects not a big problem. CS4 is worth it.
          • 2. Re: CS4 - Large Projects
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            Is it the largeness of the project that is really taking so long, though? Typically this is more related to the number of clips.

For example, you can have a large project with only a few clips if they were captured as such from tape, and it will open quickly. Or you can have a much smaller project with hundreds of clips, and it will take much longer to open. This is because Premiere must check every clip when opening.
            • 3. Re: CS4 - Large Projects
              Level 1
              I checked the situation, just after Jim Simon's comment... And yes, he is right: It's not about the "largeness" of project (project duration, lots of effects, lots of cuts, lots of transitions e.t.c.). It's all about number of clips and I think type of these clips must be another factor.

The projects those I have experienced very long opening times have common qualifies: Lots of PAL DV AVI clips (more than 20), additionaly NTSC Quicktime MJPEG clips, a few Quicktime Animation Codec clips with alpha channel, and lots of .mp3 or .wav sound clips...

On the other hand, with more sophisticated project contains less number of clips, I didn't experience long opening times.

Thanks to Jim Simon for make it clear...
              • 4. Re: CS4 - Large Projects
                nothgirl

Ok, just to make it clear, is it better to capture the whole tape as one file, instead of being more selective with what you capture, resulting in less gb on the hard drive, but a bigger number of files in the project? Sounds fishy... I am currently trying to decide how to capture the remaining parts of my music video, where I am aware of that most of the material were re-takes.

• 5. Re: CS4 - Large Projects
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Space should not be a consideration. If you worry about space, get a new disk. They are cheap. Whether you prefer to work with one large file or many small ones depends on your workflow. Personally, I prefer to capture with scene detection.

• 6. Re: CS4 - Large Projects
                    nothgirl Level 1

No, I do not worry about space, just the response time of Premiere. I want the workflow to be as smooth and fast as possible. Say that the space it requires on the hard drive is the same; is it then better to split the material into small files or larger files?

• 7. Re: CS4 - Large Projects
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

A single large file loads faster than many smaller ones, so loading a project will be faster. However you only load it once and the faster loading time can easily be offset by the extra time needed to find the specific part in that large file that you want to put on your timeline and defining in- and outpoints. Also locating a specific part in your timeline is much cumbersome than locating a specific short clip. Video and audio usage in the project window will become rather meaningless if you only have 1 large file and it is used 100+ times. Using short clips can tell you exactly which ones have been used and where. So it depends on your workflow, but for me, I prefer the scene detected small files, also because of the timestamp in the filenames.

• 8. Re: CS4 - Large Projects
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

I prefer individual clips myself.  Much easier to work with.

• 9. Re: CS4 - Large Projects
                          nothgirl Level 1

Thanks, I will try scene detection...

• 10. Re: CS4 - Large Projects
                            Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Have you upgraded to 4.1?  It is much faster than previous versions.

• 11. Re: CS4 - Large Projects
                              Jhvegas Level 1

Nothgirl,

My experience has been that using these very large files is more sluggish than capturing individual clips and using them. Granted, load time is faster with one file, but the tradeoff is a sluggish user interface (in my experience).

Jonathan

• 12. Re: CS4 - Large Projects
                                Edit 1 Media

As far as memory usage goes, you can reduce the amount of memory that Premiere holds onto by closing sequences that aren't in use. The key is that you have to close the sequences, save, close premiere and then reopen your project. It would be nice if premiere would automatically reduce the memory useage when closing sequences without the need to restart premiere.

Chris