33 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2008 7:32 PM by runamokusa

CS4 Dynamic Link Problem

Level 1
      When doing a simple "replace with after effects composition" After Effects opens and starts with the clip you selected. So far so good! If you close after effect to continue work else where and then go back to edit original all the source clips are missing and replaced with color bars.

What is going on??

P4 3.4 ghz
      4 gig ram
      geforce 6800 xt
      Vista 64 bit (Clean Install)
      Asus p5n32-sli deluxe (Bios and chipset updated)
      All drivers updated
        • 1. Re: CS4 Dynamic Link Problem
          Curt Wrigley Level 4
          You are replacing the clip with an AE composition. Its actually really awesome feature.

Its an automated version of this:

1. Copy Pr clip into clipboard
          2. Open AE
          3. Paste Clip from clipboard to AE comp. Apply ae effects.
          4. Either render out or DL link new AE comp to Pr
          5. Delete original clip in Pr and replace it with the imported or Dl AE comp.

The Repalce with AE comp Elliminates all these steps (except applying effects in AE)
          • 2. Re: CS4 Dynamic Link Problem
            Level 1
            I know what it is supposed to do. Did you read my post?

When you close after effects it forgets the source clip. You cannot edit it after you close after effects and then go back later with edit original. It replaces your clips with color bars.
            • 3. Re: CS4 Dynamic Link Problem
              Level 1
              Update...

I notice when you replace with after effects composition that the icon for the clip in After Effects is the "unknown" file type. If you import the same clip from it's original location it comes in with the right icon. For some reason After Effects is not recognizing it as an AVI even though it say's AVI next to the name at the top by the little preview window.

Can someone else please test this and let me know what you come up with?

Thanks!
              • 4. Re: CS4 Dynamic Link Problem
                Level 1
                2nd Update...<br /><br />I noticed that If I just copy and paste a clip from premiere pro into after effects timeline that the icon still shows un-reconized.  I save the after effects file and then re-open and it says there is a missing file.<br /><br />Under the file path in the project windows it shows:<br /><br /><missing>\\?\D\\Projects<br /><br />Where D is my drive letter and Projects is the destination folder.
                • 5. Re: CS4 Dynamic Link Problem
                  Level 1
                  Jim, Harm...Anybody?
                  • 6. Re: CS4 Dynamic Link Problem
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    My suggestion would be to simply open the AE project originally created, rather than Edit Original.
                    • 7. Re: CS4 Dynamic Link Problem
                      Harm Millaard Level 7
                      I don't feel qualified to answer, since I'm still waiting for CS4.
                      • 8. Re: CS4 Dynamic Link Problem
                        Level 1
                        >My suggestion would be to simply open the AE project originally created, rather than Edit Original.

I tried that and it still opens up with missing AVI's.
                        • 9. Re: CS4 Dynamic Link Problem
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          Sounds like a bug. Write it up.

In the meantime, I guess just don't close AE till you're sure.
                          • 10. Re: CS4 Dynamic Link Problem
                            Level 1
                            >In the meantime, I guess just don't close AE till you're sure.

That's the problem. You have to close it at some point and then everything is gone.

Did you get a chance to test it? Is this happening to you or anybody else?

I am surprised no one else is chiming in on this.
                            • 11. Re: CS4 Dynamic Link Problem
                              Jim_Simon Level 8
                              I'm still waiting on CS4. (Seems like every time I'm about to order, something comes up financially that prevents it.)
                              • 12. Re: CS4 Dynamic Link Problem
                                Level 1
                                >I'm still waiting on CS4. (Seems like every time I'm about to order, something comes up financially that prevents it.)

Oh, Ok. Thanks for trying to help in the mean time. This is very frustrating... especially on a Sunday when I can't reach support.
                                • 13. Re: CS4 Dynamic Link Problem
                                  TradeWind Level 3
                                  I'm still waiting on CS4. (Seems like every time I'm ready to cancel my order, something comes up financially that prevents it.)

Of course, that "financial" benefit to me will be time savings with batch rendering and Premiere > Encore Dynamic Link capabilities.

Actually, whenever I get it, I may well try to do the bulk of my editing in CS3 and then just open a duplicate copy in CS4 to do the finishing work. Depending on 3rd party plugin support and other compatibility issues yet to be seen, it may be my best bet. I guess I'll find out soon.
                                  • 14. Re: CS4 Dynamic Link Problem
                                    Level 1
                                    >Of course, that "financial" benefit to me will be time savings with batch rendering and Premiere > Encore Dynamic Link capabilities.

If it works like it is supposed to.
                                    • 15. Re: CS4 Dynamic Link Problem
                                      shooternz Level 6
                                      >I'm still waiting on CS4. (Seems like every time I'm about to order, something comes up financially that prevents it.)

Put your prices up. Thats the professional way to solve that small detail.
                                      • 16. Re: CS4 Dynamic Link Problem
                                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                                        Whatever the price, one still needs clients. It is an unfortunate reality that when budgets get tight, as they have been, the wedding video is one of the first things to get dropped.
                                        • 17. Re: CS4 Dynamic Link Problem
                                          Curt Wrigley Level 4
                                          It works as designed for me. Meaning, I "replace clip with Ae Comp", in Pr, add effcts in Ae, pop over to Pr and see they are there, pop over to Ae and close Ae, switch back to Pr and effects there as expected.

Looking at all your posts, I think you have either a bad install, or a problem platform. Ive had zero crashes (so far) with CS4, you mention you crash often when moving clips. Together with this Dl problem smells like a bad install or local environment.

Curt
                                          • 18. Re: CS4 Dynamic Link Problem
                                            Level 1
                                            >It works as designed for me. Meaning, I "replace clip with Ae Comp", in Pr, add effcts in Ae, pop over to Pr and see they are there, pop over to Ae and close Ae, switch back to Pr and effects there as expected.

Curt
                                            I got that far also...The problem is when I re-opened After Effects and then found the missing source files.

Did you happen to re-open After Effects after you closed it?

Thanks!
                                            • 19. Re: CS4 Dynamic Link Problem
                                              Curt Wrigley Level 4
                                              After closing AE, in Pr I right click on the AE comp on the timeline and choose edit original and AE opens with the comp ready to make changes.

I can also just open AE by itself and open the AE project file that was created by the Dl process and edit the source.

Curt
                                              • 20. Re: CS4 Dynamic Link Problem
                                                Level 1
                                                >After closing AE, in Pr I right click on the AE comp on the timeline and choose edit original and AE opens with the comp ready to make changes.
                                                I can also just open AE by itself and open the AE project file that was created by the Dl process and edit the source.
                                                Curt

Thanks for checking Curt.
                                                • 21. Re: CS4 Dynamic Link Problem
                                                  Level 1
                                                  Are the clips that you are coping from PPRO subclips? If I recall right, I have the same problem in CS3 if I copy subclips from PPRO to AE, but source files work fine.

KMS
                                                  • 22. Re: CS4 Dynamic Link Problem
                                                    Level 1
                                                    >Are the clips that you are coping from PPRO subclips? If I recall right, I have the same problem in CS3 if I copy subclips from PPRO to AE, but source files work fine.

That is a great thought but unfortunately they are not sub clips.
                                                    They are straight captured clips used normally.
                                                    • 23. Re: CS4 Dynamic Link Problem
                                                      Curt Wrigley Level 4
                                                      What is your source material? How was it captured?
                                                      • 24. Re: CS4 Dynamic Link Problem
                                                        Level 1
                                                        They are avi (mini dv) captured through premier.
                                                        The strange thing is when I "replace with after effects composition"
                                                        The AVI comes in with a unknown file type icon. If I "import" the exact same clip from the captured location it recognizes the clip with the appropriate icon.
                                                        • 25. Re: CS4 Dynamic Link Problem
                                                          Curt Wrigley Level 4
                                                          Your symptoms sound like Dynamic link is somehow smurfed up if manual imports of the same source work ok in AE.

If you have half a day to uninstall the suite and re-install it clean Id suggest that. or give adobe a call. Tech support on install issues is free (or least it always has been)

Curt
                                                          • 26. Re: CS4 Dynamic Link Problem
                                                            Level 1
                                                            Curt,

Do you know if I can re-install dynamic link only?
                                                            • 27. Re: CS4 Dynamic Link Problem
                                                              Curt Wrigley Level 4
                                                              I dont think so. There might be a repair mode to the installer, but ive never seen that actually work with any sw.
                                                              • 28. Re: CS4 Dynamic Link Problem
                                                                Level 1
                                                                I'm not sure what to make of this either. It sounds like the import path of the media files are confusing AE when they come over from PPro via DL.

What's your D drive exactly? A regular drive? a Raid? a network location?

Also, does the file path have folders that include spaces, perhaps?

Here's what I'd suggest: drop an AVI into the root of your C drive, import that into Premiere, & try your same steps for creating the AE comp. Reopen AE, see if it can find that file...
                                                                • 29. Re: CS4 Dynamic Link Problem
                                                                  Level 1
                                                                  Hi Wil,

Thanks for the response.

My D: drive is the drive I use for project files and captured media. It is a regular drive that is not raided and not on a network.
                                                                  I can import clips just fine. It's just dynamic link that is confused.

My c drive is for my programs.
                                                                  This is the same setup I had with Premiere Pro 2 and After effects and had no problems.

I tried your idea putting a clip on the c drive and that worked. Although that is not how I wanted it. I need to use my d:\ drive for my projects and captured media. Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks for your help.
                                                                  • 30. Re: CS4 Dynamic Link Problem
                                                                    Level 1
                                                                    I'm just trying to find out whether it works at all. So the implication is that it doesn't work on the D: drive at the existing media location - so I'd suggest the same thing again, ie put an AVI at the root of your D: drive, and attempt the same scenario again.

If that works, try again, but in D:\Test\ as your source location... let's see how far you get before it fails again.
                                                                    • 31. Re: CS4 Dynamic Link Problem
                                                                      Level 1
                                                                      Hi Wil,

I tried it off the root of D and it worked. For some reason it just did not like the original location.

I created a new directory and moved everything over and it still worked.

I deleted all of the old and re named the new folder back to the original name and everything seems to work.

Thank you so much for trouble shooting with me. If you did not help I would still be losing my mind.

Thanks again! I am defintily another satisfied customer.
                                                                      • 32. Re: CS4 Dynamic Link Problem
                                                                        runamokusa
                                                                        I am having the same issue here with the broken path. I also have the extra issue of PPro just not responding after I close AE when I am using dynamic link. it is useless as it is and I am really bummed on that side of things.

Will try the root of my editing drive to see if it helps.

E6800
                                                                        WinXP 32
                                                                        2 gigs ram
                                                                        • 33. Re: CS4 Dynamic Link Problem
                                                                          runamokusa Level 1
                                                                          Did some more tests and here is what does and doesn't work for me.

Losing footage -
                                                                          it worked when I used a new folder called "Test" at the root of my editing drive.

It loses the footage if I use the original folder which has spaces in the name. Not sure if that is the culprit but both methods proved consistant in every test I did.

Crashing-
                                                                          Not sure if other have the issue but when I close AE, PPro will just sit there with an hour glass and show as not responding.

If I close PPro first and then AE and reopen PPro then all seems to work as it is supposed to.

This was also consistant in every test I did.