New System Opinion?

Level 1
      What do you guys think of this price?

$1,445.00 ×

CAS: Apevia X-Supra Gaming Mid-Tower 420W Case

CPU: Intel® Core2 i7-920 2.66 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366

CD: LG 20X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER

FAN Intel LGA1366 Certified CPU Fan & Heatsink

HDD: Single Hard Drive (500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD)

HDD2: 2TB (1TBx2) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive

MOTHERBOARD: MSI X58 Platinum Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA RAID w/ eSATA,Dual
      GbLAN,USB2.0,IEEE1394a,&7.1Audio

MEMORY: 6GB (3x2GB) PC1333 DDR3 PC3 10666 Triple Channel Memory

OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista Ultimate w/ Service Pack 1 [+209] (64-bit Edition

VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT 512MB 16X PCI Express
        • 1. Re: New System Opinion?
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          Power supply might be a little weak.

What model LG burner?

I'd get a smaller system drive (used for nothing but Windows and programs), use the 500 for a Project/Scratch drive, break out the 2TB into separate drives and use them for Media and Exports.

For editing, I'd go with Vista Home Basic. It leaves out a lot of things unneeded for editing, making a smaller, lighter OS.
          • 2. Re: New System Opinion?
            Level 1
            Thanks Jim...the power supply is defintily going to be upgraded but the 2TB drive is actually two 1TB drives. The system drive is that big because you really don't save any money by going with a smaller drive.

Would this CPU be your choice also?
            • 3. Re: New System Opinion?
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              It would be the CPU of my choice.

I understand the 2TB drive is actually two 1TB drives. What I was suggesting was to split them apart. Don't get them in a RAID.

As for the smaller system drive, it's less about saving money than it is about efficiency. Ideally you should put nothing on the system drive but Windows and programs, nothing else. 500GB will be a waste. (For example, mine is 75GB and is less than half full.) That's why I recommend the smaller System drive and use the 500GB for Projects/Scratch.