This content has been marked as final. Show 3 replies
Gigabyte is owned by Asus. IMO Gigabyte has a slightly lesser reputation in terms of quality and longevity than Asus, but maybe things have improved for Gigabyte in the past year since Asus took over. Mobo issues are usually caused by marginal capacitors and capacitor aging. That in turn is often caused by the power supply and reliability of the electrical network in your neighborhood.
Harm Millaard Wrote:
"Gigabyte is owned by Asus"
When did that happen? The following May 2008 article refers to a bitter dispute between the two companies and references Asus as a competitor of Gigabyte:
I read where there was a joint venture with Gigabyte owning a controlling 51% referenced by the following article:
"GIGABYTE still owns the GIGABYTE brand and its various business units, distribution channels, etc, as does Asus its own business assets. This is simply a new joint venture (company) between the two companies where GIGABYTE owns the controlling share (51%) while Asus owns the remainder (49%). This new venture will license the GIGABYTE brand from GIGABYTE to produce GIGABYTE branded motherboards and VGA cards so all the other GIGABYTE products are not affected by this venture. A key advantage being that the new venture will be able to choose which factories it will outsource production to, depending on product requirements. In essence, GIGABYTE benefits through a more efficient, design orientated business model while Asus enjoys profits from both of the worlds top two PC component brands. "
The article on Tom's also contains the following claim from Gigabyte regarding Asus quality:
"At the board level, Gigabyte pointed out that Asus boards used poor quality capacitors that were not manufactured in Japan. "Asus uses non-Japanese made metal solid capacitors to fool you," said Gigabyte. "Asus still tries to [cut] cost down."
"Gigabyte pointed out that the capacitors used on all of its boards are made directly from high-quality Japanese manufacturers. Specifically, Gigabyte said it prefers to use those from Chemico or Fujitsu. Gigabyte engineers said that capacitors used on Asus boards are ones that are known to blow under load."
> I read where there was a joint venture with Gigabyte owning a controlling 51% referenced by the following article:
You are correct. My recollection was wrong. The controlling part of the shares was still in the hands of Gigabyte. Thanks for pointing it out.
However, this was the conclusion:
> It sounds like a joint-venture, but in the highly incestuous world of Taiwanese business affairs it is more of a merger.
b Asus is going to supply mobos and graphics cards under the Gigabyte brand, and will more than likely spin-off its own branded products in this category, as well.
The capacitor remarks I made are confirmed by your post. Thanks for confirming that as well, since this is rather critical and often overlooked.