3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2008 5:12 PM by Harm Millaard

CS4 Barely Runs on Legacy P4C800-E Deluxe + Northwood 3.2

Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3
      I opened my big mouth on the eve of Black Friday, and suggested my brother-in-law let me build him a new computer. He took me up on the offer and we got up at 4:30 AM for the Fry's component deals. Highlights were a Q8200 motherboard combo (cheapo ESC motherboard) for $158, 4GB Crucial Ballistic RAM for $20 after rebates and a 20 speed DVD burner for around $20 after rebates. Carefully selecting parts, I was able to build a very fast (probably 3x faster than mine) computer for him for under $400. The ECS motherboards are kind of flimsy and I don't particularly like the way the factory snap-in heat sinks go togeher, so I made a backing out of a piece of 3/4" plywood and drilled holes for the heat sink pins. The backing makes installing the heat sink a snap, and eliminates flexing and manhandling the board.

The build went nearly without a hitch. This system with the 45nm processor is incredibly fast. By comparison, a year ago, I build my daughter a Fry's special using a near bottom of the barrel Intel E2200 processor.
      Even this processor is twice as fast rendering in Premiere, as my legacy, once state of the art Asus P4C800-Deluxe-3.2GZ northwood processor-4GB Crucial RAM.

I'll replace my aging P4C800 E-Deluxe system with a midrange i7 processor when they have been out for a while, maybe mid next year. I don't care much for Asus boards anymore. I have had all four of our editing systems based on the Asus boards fail within 3-4 years due to motherboard issues. I'm leaning toward Gigabyte boards. They advertise based upon durability (Ultra Durable 3) and quality components as opposed to Asus marketing approach of winning top honors in liquid nitrogen overclocking competitions.

Anyway, I think Adobe created CS4 with current top-end Intel and upcoming i7 processors in mind. At work we are using the Intel Q6600 processors, and with the latest Adobe updates, everything seems to be working OK so far.
      I can definitely see the advantage to upgrading our hardware next year though.
        • 1. Re: CS4 Barely Runs on Legacy P4C800-E Deluxe + Northwood 3.2
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          Gigabyte is owned by Asus. IMO Gigabyte has a slightly lesser reputation in terms of quality and longevity than Asus, but maybe things have improved for Gigabyte in the past year since Asus took over. Mobo issues are usually caused by marginal capacitors and capacitor aging. That in turn is often caused by the power supply and reliability of the electrical network in your neighborhood.
          • 2. Re: CS4 Barely Runs on Legacy P4C800-E Deluxe + Northwood 3.2
            Chuck A. McIntyre Level 3
            Harm Millaard Wrote:
            "Gigabyte is owned by Asus"

When did that happen? The following May 2008 article refers to a bitter dispute between the two companies and references Asus as a competitor of Gigabyte:
            http://www.tomshardware.com/news/asus-gigabyte-motherboard,5348.html
            I read where there was a joint venture with Gigabyte owning a controlling 51% referenced by the following article:

"GIGABYTE still owns the GIGABYTE brand and its various business units, distribution channels, etc, as does Asus its own business assets. This is simply a new joint venture (company) between the two companies where GIGABYTE owns the controlling share (51%) while Asus owns the remainder (49%). This new venture will license the GIGABYTE brand from GIGABYTE to produce GIGABYTE branded motherboards and VGA cards so all the other GIGABYTE products are not affected by this venture. A key advantage being that the new venture will be able to choose which factories it will outsource production to, depending on product requirements. In essence, GIGABYTE benefits through a more efficient, design orientated business model while Asus enjoys profits from both of the worlds top two PC component brands. "

The article on Tom's also contains the following claim from Gigabyte regarding Asus quality:

"At the board level, Gigabyte pointed out that Asus boards used poor quality capacitors that were not manufactured in Japan. "Asus uses non-Japanese made metal solid capacitors to fool you," said Gigabyte. "Asus still tries to [cut] cost down."

"Gigabyte pointed out that the capacitors used on all of its boards are made directly from high-quality Japanese manufacturers. Specifically, Gigabyte said it prefers to use those from Chemico or Fujitsu. Gigabyte engineers said that capacitors used on Asus boards are ones that are known to blow under load."
            • 3. Re: CS4 Barely Runs on Legacy P4C800-E Deluxe + Northwood 3.2
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              > I read where there was a joint venture with Gigabyte owning a controlling 51% referenced by the following article:

You are correct. My recollection was wrong. The controlling part of the shares was still in the hands of Gigabyte. Thanks for pointing it out.

However, this was the conclusion:

> It sounds like a joint-venture, but in the highly incestuous world of Taiwanese business affairs it is more of a merger.

b Asus is going to supply mobos and graphics cards under the Gigabyte brand, and will more than likely spin-off its own branded products in this category, as well.

The capacitor remarks I made are confirmed by your post. Thanks for confirming that as well, since this is rather critical and often overlooked.