6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2008 2:06 PM by DickLTech

Syncing Sound

DickLTech Level 1
      I'm involved in shooting a movie, full length. We've used a digital recorder with boom mics to record actors sound. We captured the camera's HDMI directly to a computer (hard disk). So the sound with the clip is from the camera's mics and not very good. We are now trying to sync the digital sound to the clips. Is there, someplace, documentation, tutorial, or a book to explain the best way to do this in PP CS3/CS4??? It seems like this process is a little behind what professional editors need to do for this process. I need to define a workflow to get this done. Do we have to make a new sequence out of each clip to use the clips sequence in the sequence for the scene???

Dick
        • 1. Re: Syncing Sound
          shooternz Level 6
          (I feel a bad moon arising...)

Hopefully you used a Synch Slate (clapper board) and hopefully you did a test initially to see if the camera and the recorder do actually synch.

Once synched up - Each clip should be have the synched sound linked to it and you should be able to use any clip in any sequence. I would suggest you keep the camera audio linked to the clip initially as a guide reference.

What camera and what recorder was used?
          • 2. Re: Syncing Sound
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            >Is there, someplace, documentation, tutorial, or a book to explain the best way to do this in PP CS3/CS4?

I recommend the manual/Help file. It's a good place to learn how the program works.
            • 3. Re: Syncing Sound
              DickLTech Level 1
              Craig,

We used Canon HV20's using the HDMI cable out directly into the capture computer w/Intensity Pro cards. Digital recording by Zoom H4 using XLR inputs using usually shotgun's. Are you saying that after using the the camera sound (in PP) and the clapper point (yes, we clapped), then unlinking the cam sound and linking the digital sound, that the clip can be used as any clip in any sequence??? Or is that only good in the sequence where the linking is done??

Jim,

Good idea, I'll check out Help ASAP.

Thanks all... Dick
              • 4. Re: Syncing Sound
                shooternz Level 6
                >Are you saying that after using the the camera sound (in PP) and the clapper point (yes, we clapped), then unlinking the cam sound and linking the digital sound, that the clip can be used as any clip in any sequence??? Or is that only good in the sequence where the linking is done??

ooooh...you may have to test that one.

But you can either copy the clip with new link into a new sequence or..

you could just do the link in the sequence where you need it

or you could export the clip with the new audio. That would be an "Intermediate" type workflow.
                • 5. Re: Syncing Sound
                  akribie Level 2
                  Or you could put the clip into a separate sequence, sync the new audio and turn off the camera track. Then use that sequence as your source clip for editing.
                  • 6. Re: Syncing Sound
                    DickLTech Level 1
                    David, I have done that very process before, not on syncing but on editing a clip for a teaser video, making a "final" sequence and arranging the clip sequences in the order I want. Some exceptions. I found that I could put transitions and effects on the video of a seq. in the final, but could NOT do the same with audio. I had to go back to the original seq., make the changes there, and they would automagically show up in the final seq. A hassle. That project, I imported a Premiere proj that had a Premiere proj imported. I had 3 projects, 2 were nested. Having some fun now!!!

Craig, I'll test one of these daze. As for the render a new updated clip, I've had problems finding the magic codec that gives me the same compression rate as the original. Other then that, it's a great idea, for now, I wish I could use. We'll see what I can find out.

Right now, the edit computer is off site. I can only get there at predictable various times. This week is busy in other areas. But, I have lots of things to try now... syncing, 24p, codecs, etc.

Dick