6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2008 9:43 PM by joshtownsend

Suggestion for animating storyboard(still images)

alwinch
      I think I am dealing with an deinterlace situation. I am animating storyboards so they are all still images out of many photoshop layers. I would appreciate a suggestion on how we deal with deinterlacing in cs4. Please tell me I don't have to go to EVERY clip in the time line and change the setting. Is progressive in the output supposed to do it? I have lterally hundreds of short clips in the time line. Thanks for any help.
        • 1. Re: Suggestion for animating storyboard(still images)
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          I'd start with asking why you think you need to deinterlace. What is the exact issue you're trying to solve?
          • 2. Re: Suggestion for animating storyboard(still images)
            akribie Level 2
            What is your output format? Maybe you have the option to deinterlace during export?
            • 3. Re: Suggestion for animating storyboard(still images)
              joshtownsend Level 2
              I'm shooting a short based on an old comic. Here's what I did in AE using stills and photoshop. http://vimeo.com/1152601

How are your stills interlaced? What are your project settings? Are your clips just moving stills?
              • 4. Re: Suggestion for animating storyboard(still images)
                alwinch Level 1
                Was doing something stupid...as usual..was exporting widescreen as non widescreen project

Thanks for all your replies. One other suggestion would be appreciated. This is the first time I've worked with PP and AE and trying to use Dynamic Link. When it works it is the greatest thing, but that is only percentage of he time. Lots of crashes. But anyway, What I am doing now is editing in PP and then "trying" to export, or copy, the layers and or sequences into AE.

Now I am doing the stills cutting in Premiere because sound sync is important. Also, there are many cuts since there is a kind of lipsync and the ability to put more than one clip on a layer is a bonus. When will AE adopt this? I would have liked to do the whole edit in AE but the amount of layers is unbelievable. When I transfer the sequences from PP to AE the amount of layers is ridiculous because it separates my single PP layer with several clips on it, to the massive Christmas tree of AE layers. Since only a few seconds of the PP project need to be worked on in AE I can live with it.

So what would you suggest as the best way to accomplish this type of project. Starting in PS with multi Layered files, editing them and syncing with sound. and then adding some basic effects to some of the shots to "cool" them up. Right now I am not happy with adding effects in PP(previewing is terrible) or editing for sync in AE with lots of layers and the need to scrub accurate sound...Oh what to do....
                • 5. Re: Suggestion for animating storyboard(still images)
                  Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                  I think the AE experts would suggest you skip using PPro for this at all. Editing with AE single element layers and also synching audio is just learning that system. Also, I haven't tried anywhere near the number of dl connections you are probably using.
                  • 6. Re: Suggestion for animating storyboard(still images)
                    joshtownsend Level 2
                    Being able to edit in AE is a dream many of us have. Maybe one day...........

Maybe do the audio synced cut in premiere then moving everything into AE once you have a locked cut would work the best.