1 2 3 Previous Next 81 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2008 1:20 PM by joshtownsend

Nvidia Cards

Level 1
      Has anybody had any success with the newer Nvidia cards with CS4? Perhaps the Quadro 5800 or the 4700 X2

Ideally, I'd like to make make use of it for 3D work too.
        • 1. Re: Nvidia Cards
          Keith_Andrews Level 1
          I just ordered an FX1700 for use in Premiere CS4, so I should have something to report back to you by the weekend. The main reason I purchased a Quadro card was to utilize the CUDA drivers developed specifically for suites like CS4. Supposedly the drivers alone make a huge difference when using PS, AE, and PR, especially with rendering and filter use. I will also be doing a lot of decoding/encoding of H.264 material which is another CUDA specialty.

Is there any reason why you need such a powerful and expensive card such as the FX5800, or FX4700? In my experience you can save yourself a lot of money by researching specific cards that will maximize the potential of certain applications that you know you are going to use. I would determine what programs you are looking to utilize and accelerate and then determine what your budget is for the card.
          • 2. Re: Nvidia Cards
            Level 1
            Hi Keith

Thanks for your post. I'm interested to see how you get on with the 1700. That's relatively cheap compared to my other options.

I was thinking of the newer cards because I also do a lot of 3D Animation, so if I can do both jobs well on the same system, all the better.

Did you look at the CX offering from NVidia? This seems to be what they're pushing for CS4 at the moment.
            • 3. Re: Nvidia Cards
              joshtownsend Level 2
              You do realize there's only one plug availible that uses CUDA and it comes with a 2000 dollar card and all it does is speed up h264 rendering.

Other than that Premiere plug-in there is no there is nothing CUDA based that will speed anything up in Adobe. Read between the lines.

FACT: No CS4 application uses CUDA enhancements without having to buy the elemental plug-in (with free video card).

One day hopefully it will happen but right now CUDA has only one plug-in for Premiere. Nothing else except an Encoder called Badaboom that is standalone for encoding h264 and flash faster. Not much help unless you render HD flash all day long.
              • 4. Re: Nvidia Cards
                shooternz Level 6
                Sorry slight thread diversion but one of you installing a new FX1700 may be able to solve this for me.

What is the latest FX1700 driver for XP32? 169.96 or 178.48

Updating Drivers always confuses me and both NVIDIA & PNYs site does nothing to help.
                • 5. Re: Nvidia Cards
                  joshtownsend Level 2
                  the 178 is the latest
                  • 6. Re: Nvidia Cards
                    shooternz Level 6
                    Thanx Josh.

Are you using this with FX1700?
                    • 7. Re: Nvidia Cards
                      joshtownsend Level 2
                      No I just looked it up on Nvidia's web site. Not that hard.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp64_178.46.html
                      • 8. Re: Nvidia Cards
                        shooternz Level 6
                        I saw that and downloaded it before but PNY website shows latest differently as does :

http://driverscollection.com/?H=Quadro%20FX%201700&By=NVidia

The way that Driver versions are ID in the filename is an absolute puzzle to me. eg. How does it get from 169.96 to 178.46 in 4 months?

I now have both waiting to be installed?
                        • 9. Re: Nvidia Cards
                          joshtownsend Level 2
                          The driver you linked to said it was made in June. That could explain it. The Nvidia 178 was made November 11th.

I remember my 8800 was 169ish around summer time. Maybe CUDA and Physx support since then made the release increase in numbers.
                          • 10. Re: Nvidia Cards
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            Craig,

In the time that it took you to read Josh's replies, it's probably up to 191 by now! [Grin]

I've seen driver updates only a few hours apart for some video cards. I could easily see a couple of dozen updates between June and Nov. At least they're working on it. I have a Matrox video card that had one driver update over 3 years.

Hunt
                            • 11. Re: Nvidia Cards
                              Level 1
                              It also seems that Quadro FX drivers are a bit behind some other nvidea drivers. I am waiting for a new one to try with a FX4400, that doesn't work real well in vista64 with CS4. Also doesn't surport CUDA,
                              well it is a little old now.
                              • 12. Re: Nvidia Cards
                                Maby useful info =)

I Use CS4 on Vista x64.
                                2 xeon 3 GHZ (8 cores in sum)
                                NVidia Quadro CX

my test for export:
                                DV 720x576
                                video duration: 3 min 11 sec

Windows XP SP3
                                Intel core2duo 2,66 GHz
                                2GB Ram
                                NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTX
                                *export/render time: 12 min 27 sec

Windows Vista x64
                                Intel Xeon 3 Ghz (8 core)
                                8GB Ram
                                NVIDIA Quadro CX
                                *export/render time: 6 min 5 sec

same project at my friend:
                                MAC OSX Leopard
                                Intel Xeon 2,8 GHz (8 core)
                                4GB Ram
                                NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
                                *export/render time: 5 min 59 sec

what i export?
                                I export test video with a portion of fastblur/curves/shadow
                                • 13. Re: Nvidia Cards
                                  Level 1
                                  Aleksandrs - Thanks

Useful info for bench marking. Interesting score for the Mac.
                                  • 14. Re: Nvidia Cards
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                                    The slight difference between the Vista and Mac scores, combined with the larger difference between those and the XP score, suggest that processing power and not CUDA are the bigger factors here.
                                    • 15. Re: Nvidia Cards
                                      Keith_Andrews Level 1
                                      From what I have read, three of Adobe's CS4 suite products will utilize the CUDA drivers with any Quadro card listed here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_learn_products.html

To see the performance gains when using those product you only need to install the latest CUDA driver. The type of acceleration and performance gains are described on nVidia's website here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/builtforadobepros.html

RapiHD is a plugin for Premiere CS4 and the Quadro CX graphics card to help in the decoding/encoding process of H.264 material, but the plugin can be freely downloaded here:

http://www.rapihd.com/?q=node/129

This weekend I am going to begin testing the FX1700 with the CUDA driver and see if I can't also get the RapiHD plugin to work with my FX1700. I will report back my results by the weekend.
                                      • 16. Re: Nvidia Cards
                                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                                        >but the plugin can be freely downloaded here:

May not help. Says right on the web site "the RapiHD Accelerator...requires a Quadro CX graphics card to be installed in your system."

But, please do report back your results. Especially if you can get proper monitoring with the card. I'm getting tired of the DV delay for such.
                                        • 17. Re: Nvidia Cards
                                          Keith_Andrews Level 1
                                          Hi Jim,

Yeah, I did notice that little disclaimer on their website when I first discovered that link, however there is still hope. They may be trying to limit the exposure of the plugin by claiming that it is only available, or operational with a Quadro CX card.

Considering that nVidia uses universal drivers for all their graphics cards, we may still have a chance. Not a huge loss if I can't get it to work with the FX1700. It's not like I am authoring blu-ray video just yet.

It would be nice to see how it could accelerate editing/rendering/exporting of the h.264 AVCHD codec from cameras like the Panasonic AG-HMC150. Either way, I will run some test now with my FX1400 without CUDA, and then again with the FX1700 with CUDA and hopefully RapiHD.
                                          • 18. Re: Nvidia Cards
                                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                                            >Considering that nVidia uses universal drivers for all their graphics cards

You sure about that? Thought I read where the gaming and Quadro lines each have different drivers. If that's so, it seems very possible to create one that will only work with one specific card.

>I will run some test now with my FX1400 without CUDA

That one will be interesting, because my interpretation of the text is that CUDA is only enabled in the CX, even though many cards actually have the technology.

Hell, it'd be great to get some extra rendering power from a sub-$200 card. (That's kind of why I'd like Premiere to work with ATI and enable their streaming technology as well. The 4850 is overall a kickass card, besting nVidia's top 280 in some respects.)
                                            • 19. Re: Nvidia Cards
                                              Keith_Andrews Level 1
                                              Hi Jim,

Sorry about not being more clear. I meant that nVidia uses the same universal drivers for each card series. So, if you have a Quadro card, you download the same driver for all Quadro cards. If you have a GeForce card, you download the same driver for all GeForce cards.

I just looked at nVidia's driver page (http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us) and the driver for the FX1700 (and all Quadro cards) is the same as the CX, Quadro Release 178.46. It doesn't change when you choose performance driver, or graphics driver either.

The CUDA driver follows the same route. As long as you have a Quadro card listed on the nVidia CUDA page, then you download the same CUDA driver for all Quadro cards. CUDA is enabled in Premiere, After Effects, and Photoshop as long as you have the CUDA driver installed and are using one of the listed Quadro cards. That being said, not everything is accelerated. Adobe demonstrates what elements in each program take advantage of the CUDA driver and the GPU (http://www.nvidia.com/object/io_1222263345260.html)

Let's hope this is good news for us and results in a favorable outcome with these new drivers.
                                              • 20. Re: Nvidia Cards
                                                Colin Brougham Level 6
                                                Apparently, there's a software mod to turn a GeForce into a Quadro... sorta. I think it just enables some 3D rendering functions that are otherwise shut off on the GeForce, but turned on for the Quadro. Hardware-wise, the two card lines are similar, I guess.

As always, caveat emptor...
                                                • 21. Re: Nvidia Cards
                                                  joshtownsend Level 2
                                                  "Adobe demonstrates what elements in each program take advantage of the CUDA driver and the GPU (http://www.nvidia.com/object/io_1222263345260.html)"

There is mention of CUDA at all in that article. It only says that Nvidia cards are used to speed up CS4. Nothing about CUDA in that article.

There is no way that CUDA plug in will work with anything but the 2000 dollar graphics card. The only reason anyone would buy that card is to get the plug-in.

Did you read the disclaimer at the bottom of that page? Unbelievable. They basically say that GPU acceration in CS4 is a 'forward-looking statement' Hear read for yourself.

"Certain statements in this press release including, but not limited to, statements as to: the benefits, uses, performance and capabilities of NVIDIA GeForce and Quadro GPUs, performance in Creative Suite 4, impact GPUs will have on Creative Suite 4 and emerging consumer applications are forward-looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties that could cause results to be materially different than expectations. Important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially include: development of more efficient or faster technology; adoption of the CPU for parallel processing; design, manufacturing or software defects; the impact of technological development and competition; changes in consumer preferences and demands; customer adoption of different standards or our competitor's products; changes in industry standards and interfaces as well as other factors detailed from time to time in the reports NVIDIA files with the Securities and Exchange Commission including its Form 10-Q for the fiscal period ended July 27, 2008"
                                                  • 22. Re: Nvidia Cards
                                                    Keith_Andrews Level 1
                                                    Hi Josh,

Yeah, I reread what I wrote in my last post and what was posted on nVidia's website in regard to the applications that utilize the nVidia GPU's and I did realize that it did not mention CUDA. However, the CUDA driver WILL work on any new Geforce, or Quadro card with at least 256 MB of graphics memory, not just the CX: (http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_learn_products.html). I think you were meaning to say that the RapiHD plugin for Premiere CS4 by Elemental Technologies will not work on any other card, but the CX. That is still to be proven. Just because they say you have to have the card, doesn't mean that for whatever reason it won't work on other, similar Quadro FX series cards. Like I said in a previous post, they need to say and do whatever they can to make you justify spending $2000 on a card that comes with a plugin.

Now that the plugin is available for download from RapiHD's website and not just with the CX, we will have something to test with our other Quadro FX cards. Like I said before, not a big deal if it doesn't work. It's really designed for blu-ray authoring and h.264 material.

In my opinion the applications themselves that take advantage of the GPU are what I am more interested in, whether or not they do it now, or in the near future. It is definitely going to happen sooner or later. Again, as soon as I have the FX1700 installed, I will run some tests and report back my findings.
                                                    • 23. Re: Nvidia Cards
                                                      Level 1
                                                      Hello Friends,

I don't mean to hi-jack a thread, but you all seem to know about Premiere Pro and Video Cards from Nvidia.

I just bought an HP desktop computer for editing with PPro. It has an AMD quad-core processor with 8gb ram, with a NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430 video card on the motherboard. It has an open PCI express X16 slot for a graphics card. The motherboard specs NOTE: *Either integrated graphics or the PCI Express x16 slot are usable at one time; they are not usable concurrently.

Is there an under $200 card that will make my CS4 experience better? I am not trying to render feature length films. At most 25 minute SD wedding type videos. I am hoping Santa Claus will bring me a Panasonic DVX100B. I shoot photography weddings and special events to earn camera, video and computer money. I have been using Premiere since version 5 for my hobby with a Panasonic mini-dv camcorder.

The clock speed of the GeForce 6150 is quoted at 475mhz, and something I read hinted that it uses the computer's ram and processor to achieve greater performce?
                                                      • 24. Re: Nvidia Cards
                                                        joshtownsend Level 2
                                                        So you still think it's possible to STEAL the plug-in from Elemental Technologies? Because that's what your doing. They only make money from the plug-in when you buy the card.

So even if you do this you are STEALING. Not like really care from a moral POV but how are they supposed to make money to do the research to bring CUDA to the masses if you find a way to steal it?
                                                        • 25. Re: Nvidia Cards
                                                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                          >CUDA is enabled in Premiere, After Effects, and Photoshop as long as you have the CUDA driver installed and are using one of the listed Quadro cards.

I do hope you're right, but I have to admit my interpretation of what I've read is that CUDA is only enabled for the CX.

Please prove me wrong.
                                                          • 26. Re: Nvidia Cards
                                                            joshtownsend Level 2
                                                            Dude CUDA is enabled on plenty of non quatro cards. Here's the list.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_learn_products.html

Right now the only plug-in for CS4 is the one that costs 2 grand and comes with a video card and only accelerates H264.

http://www.badaboomit.com/

Here's a converter that is totally based around CUDA. I tried the beta a few months back and it worked on a 8600 gt.
                                                            • 27. Re: Nvidia Cards
                                                              Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                              >CUDA is enabled on plenty of non quatro cards.

What I meant is that my interpretation of the text is that CS4 apps will only take advantage of CUDA on the CX. It won't do so with any other card, despite being CUDA capable.

That's how I read it. That's what I hope I'm wrong about. I'd like to maybe buy an 8800 and still get CUDA acceleration.
                                                              • 28. Re: Nvidia Cards
                                                                Keith_Andrews Level 1
                                                                Well we're not even sure if the plugin is going to work with other Quadro cards, provided it is the full installation of the plugin. More than likely it is a simple update so that you can continue to use the plugin with version 4.0.1 of Premiere CS4.

Also keep in mind that CUDA is a free to use, downloadable driver for nVidia GeForce and Quadro graphics cards that is already here and being developed for. RapiHD is something completely different.

If you have been following other threads here on the forum you will know that the download link to the RapiHD plugin has been made publically available: http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b7133e/86

Not exactly stealing.
                                                                • 29. Re: Nvidia Cards
                                                                  Keith_Andrews Level 1
                                                                  That is true that the CUDA driver and apps will work with non-Quadro cards, AKA GeForce and Tesla cards. Sorry about the wording there in my post.
                                                                  • 30. Re: Nvidia Cards
                                                                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                                    But will CS4 apps use CUDA on other cards? I'm hoping your tests prove they will.
                                                                    • 31. Re: Nvidia Cards
                                                                      joshtownsend Level 2
                                                                      The first line on the page is: Please click the link to download the latest version of the RapiHD Accelerator which requires a Quadro CX graphics card to be installed in your system.

If you hack it and make it work with other cards you are stealing it. Elemental makes there money from selling that specific card with the plug-in.

There is also links to Adobe trials that you can hack and make work for free. Both are stealing. I'll email Elemental and see what they think about it.

http://rapihd.com/?q=node/19 Gee they have a store and talk about you buying the plug-in. Modding it to work with other cards is most definitely stealing.
                                                                      • 32. Re: Nvidia Cards
                                                                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                                        I don't interpret Keith's comments as altering the plug-in, but more as just downloading it, installing it and seeing what happens with the non-CX cards.
                                                                        • 33. Re: Nvidia Cards
                                                                          joshtownsend Level 2
                                                                          Then he is for sure breaking the license agreement buy even trying to install it. Download it and read it. Doing so would break at least three terms in the license agreement.

You have to have a registration key to even install it. So to check if works with other cards you need a keygen or you need to modify the installer. AKA stealing.
                                                                          • 34. Re: Nvidia Cards
                                                                            Keith_Andrews Level 1
                                                                            Well Josh, I think both you and Elemental Technologies will be happy to know that my software programming and development skills end at "hacking." In fact they don't even start, considering I have never written a program, or "hacked" one either.

I think the point to this forum is to speak freely about everyone's experiences with Adobe and third-party products, and to share tips, knowledge, advice, ideas, in regard to those products.

Again, the plugin available to us is more than likely just an update and not the full installation, so you are probably working yourself up for nothing. I was simply stating a fact that since the Quadro cards, including the CX, all use the same device driver, then the chance of using the RapiHD plugin with a card other than a Quadro CX is a possibility. It could still come down to chipsets though. In which case the CX may be the only compatible card to work with the language written for the plugin.

For the record, the RapiHD Store is a page with links where one can purchase the nVidia Quadro CX graphics card. The RapiHD plugin is not for sale by itself and if it was written exclusively for the Quadro CX, then it never will be.
                                                                            • 35. Re: Nvidia Cards
                                                                              Keith_Andrews Level 1
                                                                              Having looked further into the RapiHD plugin I did find that you need both a security key and registration key in order for the installation to be successful. Considering I do not have either of those, I will not attempt to install the plugin on my system. Simple as that.

To answer your question Jim, from what I have read, CS4 works with the GPU's of nVidia graphics cards to accelerate certain aspects of Photoshop, After Effect and Premiere. CS4 applications do not utilize CUDA per se.

CUDA is just a driver and will work with any of the nVidia cards listed on the CUDA ZONE site at nVidia.com. With CUDA you can then take advantage of CUDA enabled applications, again listed on the CUDA ZONE site at nVidia.com. One of those applications is "Badaboom," as Josh had mentioned, which performs a similar task as RapiHD, with accelerating the transcoding process of I-Frame footage like HDV, MPEG4, AVCHD to the h.264 video format. Like RapiHD this application is very specific in its task, so unless you have some I-Frame footage that you want to transcode to h.264 then you won't have any use for it.
                                                                              • 36. Re: Nvidia Cards
                                                                                joshtownsend Level 2
                                                                                There ya go Kieth...... you get. Now can we be friends?
                                                                                • 37. Re: Nvidia Cards
                                                                                  Keith_Andrews Level 1
                                                                                  Oh I guess so. I was just curious as to whether or not the RapiHD plugin was an application, or just something that you copied to your plugins directory in Premiere. Looks like they are keeping it pretty exclusive though to the Quadro CX. I am sure more and more plugins will be created in the near future that will take advantage of the graphics card GPU that we can all use. I don't really see the point of buying such an expensive card just to gain h.264 acceleration.
                                                                                  • 38. Re: Nvidia Cards
                                                                                    Level 1
                                                                                    Should I have started a new thread regarding NVidia GeForce 6150SE, and whether I would benefit greatly from adding the NVidia GeForce 8600GT?
                                                                                    • 39. Re: Nvidia Cards
                                                                                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                                                      >With CUDA you can then take advantage of CUDA enabled applications

I was hoping that Premiere would be one of those apps that uses CUDA, regardless of the card model.
                                                                                      1 2 3 Previous Next