33 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2008 5:32 AM by (tlc51369)

Drop Shadow

I've added a drop shadow and it is making the source clip blurry. Has anyone else seen this happen? As soon as I turn off the drop shadow I can see the source clip return to its original sharpness.
        • 1. Re: Drop Shadow
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          Added the drop shadow to what? A title? An overlaying clip?

My first guess might be that playback quality is set to Draft or Automatic, which can cause things to go blurry when effects are added. This is only so that unrendered playback will go smoother, and won't be seen in the final output. You might try also setting playback to Highest.
          • 2. Re: Drop Shadow
            Level 1
            Thanks for the quick reply.
            The drop shadow is on a clip in video track 2 (the source is an image file) over top a clip in video track 1. Playback is on highest and the area has been rendered.

With Drop Shadow:
            http://img356.imageshack.us/my.php?image=clipboard3by8.jpg
            Without Drop Shadow:
            http://img379.imageshack.us/my.php?image=clipboard2jj1.jpg

Toggle between those 2 images and you can see what I am talking about.
            • 3. Re: Drop Shadow
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              ImageShack has been having issues lately. The pics don't show up for me using Firefox.
              • 4. Re: Drop Shadow
                Level 1
                Give them a sec, they will. I had it happen here as well. Sometimes reloading/refreshing the page will make the image show up.
                • 5. Re: Drop Shadow
                  Averdahl Level 3
                  kricker, have you tried to render the timeline by pressing Enter?

/roger
                  • 6. Re: Drop Shadow
                    Level 1
                    I rendered the effects in work area, which is the same as hitting enter. Can you all see the images yet?
                    • 7. Re: Drop Shadow
                      Averdahl Level 3
                      Yes, i could see the images the first time i tried. Opera is better... ;)

So, you have a *green* render bar instead of a red one abowe the image?

/Roger
                      • 8. Re: Drop Shadow
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        ImageShack is using some new script which just doesn't work for me. (F*%#ing scripts! Ought to be illegal. Just use XHTML already!)
                        • 9. Re: Drop Shadow
                          Averdahl Level 3
                          kricker, i tried this and get the same bad results. The picture is blurred and gets for some strange reason even blurrier when i render the clip on the Timeline.

I did the same testings in AE and it workes as expected, IE no blurry image.

I tried it on a DV PAL 16:9 Timeline.

/Roger
                          • 10. Re: Drop Shadow
                            Level 1
                            Sorry, I had to pick the wife up at the airport, so I just now got back to this.

Yeah the bar is green, as you've discovered. I'm not a Premiere noob, although I may be a bit rusty ;)

I was hoping it was something I could fix on my system. I guess it's good to know that it's not just me though ;). Time for a bug report I guess. Jim, can you verify if Premiere is doing this to you as well?

I guess I should check if everything rendered is slightly blurry.
                            • 11. Re: Drop Shadow
                              Level 1
                              I've seen this issue with other filters also.
                              • 12. Re: Drop Shadow
                                Level 1
                                This didn't exist in CS3 did it? I can't remember such craziness happening.
                                • 13. Re: Drop Shadow
                                  Level 1
                                  I noticed it in CS2.
                                  • 14. Re: Drop Shadow
                                    shooternz Level 6
                                    I just tested it in CS4

Color bar clip reduced to 50% and a motion clip reduced to 50%: both over a 100% color bar BG layer. Added Drop shadow and viewed full screen.

No noticeable image degradation.
                                    • 15. Re: Drop Shadow
                                      Level 1
                                      @Craig
                                      Care to post your file to see what it does on my system?
                                      • 16. Re: Drop Shadow
                                        shooternz Level 6
                                        Not sure what I would post. (except a bmp screen grab)

Why not just try exactly what I did:

Color bar clip reduced to 50% size over a 100% color bar BG layer.

Add Drop shadow and view full screen.
                                        • 17. Re: Drop Shadow
                                          Level 1
                                          Well use the project manager to archive the project, zip it up and upload it to someplace like mediafire. I figure if I have your exact source and project there is no way to do it different. I already did what you did and I get the same results as my other project. I've noticed any effect I place on a clip causes it to blur. I just put the time code effect on a clip and it got blurry as well.

I am uploading a sample project including rendered work areas.
                                          • 18. Re: Drop Shadow
                                            Level 1
                                            Sample project file
                                            http://www.mediafire.com/file/hfodyyy5n1i/Copied_test.zip
                                            • 19. Re: Drop Shadow
                                              Level 1
                                              I wonder if it may be a codec issue. I need to see what Premiere is rendering to. This used to be easy to check, but I can't seem to find it now.
                                              • 20. Re: Drop Shadow
                                                shooternz Level 6
                                                I just downloaded it so I will give it a test when I can get near one of the systems (which are running flat out at the moment).

Wonder about all your DirectX/ Open GL etc stuff?
                                                • 21. Re: Drop Shadow
                                                  Level 1
                                                  I've been looking for DirectX/Open GL stuff in Premiere, but I don't see any setting for either. Am I overlooking them?

I went back and set both sequences to "Maximum Render Quality" and that made no difference as well.

It appears my system is using the default Microsoft DV codec. What is the preferred DV codec these days? I used to remember using the Panasonic one in the past.
                                                  • 22. Re: Drop Shadow
                                                    Level 1
                                                    This is happening to me to. It was happening in CS2 also. There is definitely something going on. Roughen edges and other filters like that have the same effect on the still images.
                                                    • 23. Re: Drop Shadow
                                                      Level 1
                                                      @tlc51369, Craig
                                                      What OS are you on?

I'm wondering if it is a Windows XP x64 thing, which is what I am running.
                                                      • 24. Re: Drop Shadow
                                                        Level 1
                                                        It is not an OS problem. My CS2 was on XP and my CS4 is on Vista.
                                                        Both have the problem. I even checked my 1.5 version and the same thing!
                                                        • 25. Re: Drop Shadow
                                                          shooternz Level 6
                                                          XP32

Just about to see if I can open your project kricker
                                                          • 26. Re: Drop Shadow
                                                            shooternz Level 6
                                                            I can see the issue in your project.

I have no idea what it is. NTSC ?
                                                            • 27. Re: Drop Shadow
                                                              Level 1
                                                              So, if you render the work area does it look blurred as well?
                                                              • 28. Re: Drop Shadow
                                                                shooternz Level 6
                                                                I did not try that but suspect it would.

There also seems to be a shift as well. eg toggle the DS effect on and off and the image shifts a few pixels.

BTW: I layed one of my own images over your project and got the same result with a DS effect.

Note I am in PAL land.

Sorry - also noticed different PARs in your project.
                                                                • 29. Re: Drop Shadow
                                                                  Level 1
                                                                  Yeah I saw the shift as well, but the blurring is much worse than a slight shift. I just made a new sequence and made it progressive instead of interlaced. The blurring went away. I still got a slight shift, but I did not see any blurring.

Different PAR should not matter.

This is ridiculous. After Effects doesn't show any of these issues.

HOLY CRAP, using a standard lower field first PAL 25fps sequence there is no shift or blurring. WTF?!
                                                                  • 30. Re: Drop Shadow
                                                                    Level 1
                                                                    With more testing, it appears it is a NTSC DV issue. There is no blurring or shifting in any PAL or HD formats. How can something like this make it thru beta?!
                                                                    • 31. Re: Drop Shadow
                                                                      Level 1
                                                                      >I just made a new sequence and made it progressive instead of interlaced. The blurring went away. I still got a slight shift, but I did not see any blurring.

Nice Find...

I just tested it with a NTSC DV preset and changed it to progressive and now it is acceptable. There is still a slight shift but it does not go out of focus! I can live with this...as long as the output looks just as good. The rendering is still slower then hell. I have a geforce 6600 xt and I wonder if that is what is making the rendering so very slow?
                                                                      • 32. Re: Drop Shadow
                                                                        Level 1
                                                                        Your rendering should be tied more to your amount of RAM and CPU speed than your video card. Also uncheck (if checked) maximum quality and maximum bit depth on the sequence setting and see if that helps.

Maybe you are referring to the Media Encoder and not Premiere. I've noticed it is slooooowwww. It took over 5 hours to get not quite half way thru a very basic 6 minute sequence, exporting to DV. Afterward I rendered the same sequence (as a work area) in Premiere in 30 minutes. Maybe it is because I didn't render the sequence before I exported it. I was about to try that when I noticed the crappy blurring.

Setting the sequence to progressive is definitely better, but still not acceptable when it works perfectly fine in PAL and HD.
                                                                        • 33. Re: Drop Shadow
                                                                          Level 1
                                                                          Actually my AME is pretty fast even with Max Q set to on. I am talking about Premiere rendering on still images with a filter and scale keyframes applied. It brings rendering almost to a halt. Very slow!!