8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2008 7:34 AM by Jim_Simon

Title Animation via AE - how?

lchapman66 Level 1
      I just installed CS4 Production Premium and began learning and experimenting.   One thing I had hoped to use is the better integration between PP and AE.  One common thing I like to do is nice text animation.  In the <CS4 world there was quite a bit of overhead that I often used as an excuse to just do simple text animation that PP could handle.  Here is the workflow I just tried with CS4 that did *not* work as I expected.  <br /><br />Help?<br /><br />  1) Created a simple still title with one line of text in PP and added it to a sequence.<br /><br />  2) Right clicked on the title in the timeline and selected "Replace with After Effects Composition".<br /><br />Now AE runs, as expected. But . . . the newly created comp does not contain the text from the PP title. And in PP the text is also gone.<br /><br />If I add text in AE, animate it, and save the comp, PP *is* updated accordingly.<br /><br />Bug or Error 299 (excessive user ignorance)?
        • 1. Re: Title Animation via AE - how?
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
          Sorry to be the bearer of bad news: it's a 299. :D

Historically, AE only saw Pr titles as solids. In CS4, Dynamic Link allows many (if not all) Pr sequence items and effects to appear in the AE comp. That's a big improvement.

However, Replace With... still has the old behavior.

All this is because, DL is one-way only. So, create an AE project where you do your text thing and then use DL to bring that comp into your Pr sequence.

In a perfect world, or maybe by CS73, DL will be 2-way and you can link your Pr sequence into an AE comp, apply your effects, then link that comp back to the original sequence.
          • 2. Re: Title Animation via AE - how?
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            >you can link your Pr sequence into an AE comp, apply your effects, then link that comp back to the original sequence.

The tutorials show that being done in CS4 (with media, not titles). Two way DL.
            • 3. Re: Title Animation via AE - how?
              >The tutorials show that being done in CS4 (with media, not titles). Two way DL.

Please check again. It may give the appearance of being two-way, but I'm fairly certain and pretty sure DL isn't 2-way. Yet. ;)
              • 4. Re: Title Animation via AE - how?
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                Here's what it shows.

You right click on a clip(s) and select "replace with AE Comp" (or some such). This opens up AE with the correct comp settings and the clip(s) loaded. (1 way)

You then apply your effects and such. When you switch back over to Premiere, the original clip(s) are replaced with a single DL AE clip (2 way) which can then be further edited as any other clip.

Any changes made to the AE comp automatically show up in Premiere.

It's this first part of the two way (Replace with) that was missing previous to CS4.

No?
                • 5. Re: Title Animation via AE - how?
                  The replace command is a copy/paste operation; it's not dynamic link.

The way to test this is to put a Pr title on the timeline, then right click the title and choose Replace with AE Comp. When AE opens up, the title layer in the comp is a solid. This is the historic behavior between Pr and AE. Exit AE.

Now, step back in the History panel in Pr to a state before the Replace command. Save and close Pr.

Open AE and go to File>Adobe Dynamic Link>Import Premiere Pro Sequence. Navigate to the project that has the sequence with the title and import the sequence into AE.

Notice that the title now appears in AE in all of its textual glory, thanks to DL.

Better?
                  • 6. Re: Title Animation via AE - how?
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    >The replace command is a copy/paste operation; it's not dynamic link.

I get you. Matter of viewpoint, I suppose. I consider it the first part of a two way DL from a user standpoint, even if the "under the hood" operation is slightly different.

Here's another difference. If you DL the Premiere sequence into AE via your method, you can't then DL that AE comp back into the same Premiere sequence. With the new "two-way" DL in CS4, that's essentially what's happening from a user standpoint. You start in Premiere, 'link' to AE, then 'link' back to Premiere. It's those two links that make me consider it "two-way" DL.

Having said that, I can't see myself objecting if Adobe made the "under the hood" operation identical for both methods.
                    • 7. Re: Title Animation via AE - how?
                      shooternz Level 6
                      sophistry at its best.
                      • 8. Re: Title Animation via AE - how?
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        I try, Craig.