1 2 3 Previous Next 97 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2009 1:27 PM by ksphotog305 Branched to a new discussion.

Informal Poll - Does CS4 work for you?

Level 1
      How about an informal poll to see what % of forum users are having little or no useability issues with CS4 and what equipment spec is running.

And Vice Versa, those experiencing trouble and the equipment spec.

Maybe pooling this information together in one place will help pinpoint problem areas. Also, for those of us considering a new system, it could point the way to safer options...
        • 1. Re: Informal Poll - Does CS4 work for you?
          shooternz Level 6
          No major problems or issues here.

System: (whatever this stuff means - hope it helps someone)

Intel L:GA775(E8400) Core 2 Duo Processor 3.0GHZ 6M Cache 1333FSB

Assus P5K Pro LGA775 Intel P35/ICH9/FSB 133/4 XDDR2/PCI-E/Firewire

Corsair 4GB DHX DDR2-800 PC6400 CL4 Dual Channel memory kit (2x 2GB)

PNY Quadro FX1700 PCI-E Video Card

3 x SATA 500GB Barracuda 7200 RPM 32MB Cache HDD (+externals)

420m watt Power Supply
          Large Case Fan

2-Channel A-341 SATA II Raid PCI-E Card

CS3 and CS4 Installed
          • 2. Re: Informal Poll - Does CS4 work for you?
            Level 1
            Thanks Craig

Any performance difference between CS3 and CS4?
            • 3. Re: Informal Poll - Does CS4 work for you?
              shooternz Level 6
              Different horse on different courses.

Both work really well but the the different workflows cant be compared.
              • 4. Re: Informal Poll - Does CS4 work for you?
                Jim_Simon Level 8
                I'd suggest one qualifier for the poll.

If you can input the pro media CS4 is designed to work with, edit your project and get it out again in the required deliverable format, that qualifies as "working". Having issues along the way, or to go through a few more clicks to get there (Josh) doesn't count as "not working". Using obscure media doesn't count as "not working". If you can input, edit and output, it "works".
                • 6. Re: Informal Poll - Does CS4 work for you?
                  Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant
                  CS4 working fine here with importing HDV media. User Interface could be better.

Supermicro X7DWA-N

Two E5410 Xeon CPU's @ 2.33GHz

4x1 GB Kingston DDR2 800MHz

nVidia GeForce 8800GT

Lots of different disks in two Supermicro CSE-M35T-1

Areca ARC-1680i RAID controller

LG GGW-H20LK BluRay/DVD Burner

Windows XP 32 AND Vista Business 64
                  • 7. Re: Informal Poll - Does CS4 work for you?
                    joshtownsend Level 2
                    Hey what did I do do? I never said CS4 plain didn't work. I've done 2 easy commercials with it.
                    • 8. Re: Informal Poll - Does CS4 work for you?
                      Bob Ramage Level 1
                      Working great on my Mac Pro. I've had problems with 3rd party plug-in compatibility, though (e.g. Magic Bullet Looks, Cineform).
                      • 9. Re: Informal Poll - Does CS4 work for you?
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        >I never said CS4 plain didn't work.

Just wanted to make sure we got the real skinny on whether or not you could actually produce, regardless of how much more work it might be.
                        • 10. Re: Informal Poll - Does CS4 work for you?
                          Curt Wrigley Level 4
                          Works great for me.

Asus P5E3 Deluxe Wireless-N Edition Motherboard
                          Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Quad-Core 2.66GHz CPU
                          Vista 64
                          • 11. Re: Informal Poll - Does CS4 work for you?
                            joshtownsend Level 2
                            Yeah with great workarounds like rendering in After Effects CS4 will make great looking media. ;) .....joking (well have joking)

Works smooth and Premiere CS4 doesn't do anything that not already a known bug or feature that's different because of the timeline and AME structure changes. I can even get decent renders using quicktime h264 but animation and photo-jpeg are just plain broke.

ASUS p5q pro
                            intel quad q9550 OC'd to 3.78
                            6 gigabyte OCD DDR2 1066 RAM
                            Vista 64 and Vista 32
                            Nvidia 8800
                            All WD harddrives no partitions
                            74 gig raptor boot/system drive for Vista 64
                            2 WD 640 GB in Raid 0 (everything put on these disks are back-up in case of failure - never happens)
                            2 WD 640 GB (these dual platter HD's are amazingly fast and cheap good for media cache in Adobe)
                            2 WD 500 GB (not as fast as the 640's but work fine)
                            one extra port for a esata external
                            The Vista 64 OS has only editing and 3D 64 Native (3D MAX, CINEMA 4D, NUKE) software installed.
                            • 12. Re: Informal Poll - Does CS4 work for you?
                              Level 1
                              Working great here - HP 8400 workstation, dual quad core xeons 2 GHz, Vista 64. Although much like Bob, plugin's have been hit and miss...not having MB Looks running as normal has been annoying.
                              • 13. Re: Informal Poll - Does CS4 work for you?
                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                >I can even get decent renders using quicktime h264 but animation and photo-jpeg are just plain broke.

OK, thank you. Not to take over Colin's thread but I feel that's the important kind of information. If a user requires either type of output, CS4 would not "work" in your case. With other output's, I assume it does work.

Excellent clarification for readers, Josh.
                                • 14. Re: Informal Poll - Does CS4 work for you?
                                  Level 1
                                  Any information is good information...
                                  • 15. Re: Informal Poll - Does CS4 work for you?
                                    Level 1
                                    Works nothing like CS3 at all. Very sluggish Premiere Pro, and AE crashes just as soon as I play the timeline.

Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6
                                    XFX PVT80GTHF9 GeForce 8800GTS 640MB
                                    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
                                    Mushkin Hp2-6400 Ddr2 4gb Kit
                                    Western Digital FAALS 1GB drives
                                    SILVERSTONE TEMJIN SST-TJ06S-W Silver Aluminum
                                    Seasonic S12 Energy Plus SS- 650HT Power Supply
                                    LG GGW-H20L Blu-ray Burner
                                    HP LP3065 30" LCD Display
                                    Auzentec X-Fi 7.1
                                    Pioneer DVR-116D
                                    ZALMAN 9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler
                                    Contour Shuttle-Pro
                                    • 16. Re: Informal Poll - Does CS4 work for you?
                                      Level 1
                                      Mark, do you have CS3 on the same system? If so, does it still work well after CS4 was installed?
                                      • 17. Re: Informal Poll - Does CS4 work for you?
                                        Level 1
                                        No. But I do have it on an identical system (when we were pleased with the first workstation, we simply duplicated the formula) with the same hardware and OS specs, so I can't evaluate whether the two co-exist peacefully or not.
                                        • 18. Re: Informal Poll - Does CS4 work for you?
                                          For me... is like as you are accostumed to go to Walmart and one day find a different lay-out but with the same merchandise. Your feel lost to find everything.
                                          Many things are different or in different order but the result is the same. I prefer CC2. More stable of all. Worth to mention that have some improvements of course, Still lack some goodies of my old Screenplay.
                                          Also is very slow in rendering and very very slow to encoding to Encore.
                                          • 19. Re: Informal Poll - Does CS4 work for you?
                                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                                            >Works nothing like CS3 at all.

But does it actually work? Can you import, edit and export using Premiere?
                                            • 20. Re: Informal Poll - Does CS4 work for you?
                                              Level 1
                                              Hi Colin
                                              Good idea! Personally I try to work with CS4 for 2 weeks now and I am really disappointed: I don't know how work flow is in DV quality, but I moved from CS3 (quite happy with) to CS4 because of the promised capability of managing AVCHD format. But AVCHD performance is really insufficient. It starts with opening a project, which takes about 5 minutes. It ends with exporting a sequence in the Media Encoder: in more than 50% encoding just stops nobody knows why - no error message or anything. Also scrubbing through a clip in the editing window is possible only in bad quality (hardware should not be the problem; AVCHD clips watching in the Sony Motion Picture Browser look very well).
                                              So, I hope, Adobe will soon deliver some powerful updates for CS4.
                                              Phil

Windows XP SP3
                                              CPU Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550, 2,83GHz, overclocked to 3,08 GHz
                                              3 GB RAM
                                              2 Video HD in RAID O
                                              1 System HD
                                              • 21. Re: Informal Poll - Does CS4 work for you?
                                                Level 1
                                                Yeah, updates would be great! Especially for those struggling.

Btw, could everyone also include their OS, please. Thx
                                                • 22. Re: Informal Poll - Does CS4 work for you?
                                                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                  >in more than 50% encoding just stops

Is this only with AVCHD media? Do you work with any other media?
                                                  • 23. Re: Informal Poll - Does CS4 work for you?
                                                    Level 1
                                                    My initial impression was based only upon loading a clip and playing it.

Today, for giggles, I tried to load a clip and EDIT it. I found that to be a patience-testing process. It seems that the whole UI freezes for 10 seconds at a time, any time I play, touch the timeline, or add a dissolve and the mouse pointer is frozen, too. Any clicks result in a delayed beep from the PC speak, a la 1982-style PC sounds.

It is possible to create an edit, but who would want to sit and wait ten seconds for the UI to unfreeze after every manipulation?
                                                    • 24. Re: Informal Poll - Does CS4 work for you?
                                                      fuaho Level 1
                                                      Let's look at that definition of "working" again.

When After Effects will export "Make Movie" flawlessly but Premiere/AME either crashes (v 4.0) or goes a minute or so and then simply stops (v 4.0.1) when using exactly the same codec and settings, then that is NOT WORKING.

When you do a search for a saved preset and can come up with 882 presets in all different flavors of HD (not just HDV) and DV but the only presets that ever appear in Video Preview drop downs are either DV or Uncompressed then that is NOT WORKING.

When you change a Video Preview to some preset other than DV 24p Advanced (the default) and premiere crashes when you try to render the Work Area then that is NOT WORKING.

When saved presets are not listed in the drop down menu in AME then that is NOT WORKING.

I have not had time to waste doing further beta testing for Adobe, so perhaps there are some things I don't understand but it appears that if you are willing to work within a certain limited set of parameters in the DV or HDV environment, then you'll be happy with Premiere.

Imagine if Photoshop only worked with *.tif files and you'll understand what I mean.

The whole concept of plug-ins revolves around expandability so that a product can work with formats that are not included in the original release and extend the life of the software. Premiere DOES NOT WORK properly with existing plug-ins (codecs) that are stable and have been available for years.

When these codecs work fine with other CS4 applications and other NLE's but not with Premiere Pro CS4/AME, then the only possible conclusion is that, NO, PREMIERE DOES NOT WORK!

And all the apologists with their excuses are like people saying, "Well if you used *.tif files, Photoshop would work perfectly..."
                                                      • 25. Re: Informal Poll - Does CS4 work for you?
                                                        joshtownsend Level 2
                                                        (Response to Mark)
                                                        I don't have that kind of problem with DV, still sequences, avid codecs, and DVCPROHD plays smooth as butter but don't get me wrong I still agree with what most people say about CS4-more-clicks but I don't need so repeat it here again.

I'd like to find some AVCHD footage to try and see how it edits. A friend sent me some .TOD files which Adobe didn't recognize but Sony Vegas played it back full frame 1080i even with color correction applied. So I would think Adobe should be at least full time on my system.

Anyone have any AVCHD links so I can try it out the footage.
                                                        • 26. Re: Informal Poll - Does CS4 work for you?
                                                          shooternz Level 6
                                                          >Let's look at that definition of "working" again.

It certainly is not how Jim defines "working" in his early post.
                                                          • 27. Re: Informal Poll - Does CS4 work for you?
                                                            Level 1
                                                            I have some short AVCHD clips I shot at DV Expo with the HMC-150...I'll see if I can get something posted and you can test it.

It was shot in the PH (highest bit rate) mode, 1080 24p...I'll let you know the link when I post the clip.
                                                            • 29. Re: Informal Poll - Does CS4 work for you?
                                                              Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                                                              Craig commented on "Let's look at that definition of "working" again." with "It certainly is not how Jim defines "working" in his early post."

Part of Jim's definition is "get it out again in the required deliverable format."

That appears to be William's point, that he cannot get Premiere/AME to export in the format he wishes (and that is supported).

William, I don't see your input here in the form that will be useful (OS, format on source files, export type that is not working). I realize you may have included this in other posts, but I think this thread should stand on its own.
                                                              • 30. Re: Informal Poll - Does CS4 work for you?
                                                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                                >When After Effects will export "Make Movie" flawlessly but Premiere/AME crashes...then that is NOT WORKING.

I agree. That's just the kind of info that helps readers get a sense of how many people can effectively use the program.

>When you do a search for a saved preset (bla bla, bla) but the only presets that ever appear in Video Preview drop downs are either DV or Uncompressed then that is NOT WORKING.

Here I disagree. The qualifier was can you ingest, edit and export. The first item above counts as not working because you can't export. This second is just an issue, either local or a bug. But if it doesn't prevent ingest, editing or exporting, it doesn't count as "not working". The rest of the issues listed are precisely why I feel we should qualify what we mean by "not working". People can go overboard with "issues" which don't actually prevent a final product.

>Premiere DOES NOT WORK properly with existing plug-ins

OK, now that's good information. Specifically which plug-ins? And which part of the import, edit, export process do they prevent from working? (For example. I use MB Looks in all my productions. If Looks were to prevent export by causing a crash every time, that does me no good. I'd not be able to produce anything.)
                                                                • 31. Re: Informal Poll - Does CS4 work for you?
                                                                  Level 1
                                                                  For those wishing to do an AVCHD test, you can download a short clip from this link -

http://www.100acrefilms.com/guest/00000.MTS

I'll leave it up for just a couple days...it's 1080 24P shot with the Panasonic HMC-150. Enjoy.

As for plugin problems - MB Looks works, however, I can't preview clips...at least most of the time. Preview does work every now and then, but not most of the time. And I've tested it with Vista 64 and 32 with PPro CS4. It works fine in AE though.
                                                                  • 32. Re: Informal Poll - Does CS4 work for you?
                                                                    joshtownsend Level 2
                                                                    thanks Eric,

One stream played smooth at highest and fullscreen. It chopped up a little when I added a second layer of video. But what looking at that clips (it looks great BTW - sharp, no grain) I don't see why you couldn't cut real time if you used automatic resolution instead of full. (even though full worked great for me)
                                                                    • 33. Re: Informal Poll - Does CS4 work for you?
                                                                      Level 1
                                                                      Good to hear it worked fine for you. Not sure why it plays so choppy (on highest quality viewing) on my system - it's beefy enough, but I wonder if the video card (Nvidia Quadro 1500) would have anything to do with it...I'm curious to see how others do with it...if anyone else tries it out.

Oh well, I don't see myself doing much with AVCHD so I'm not so worried about it. But that camera does shoot some pretty good looking footage. I've given a lot of thought as to whether pick it up, but I think I'll hold off and get the EX3 next - but I could change my mind - it's a really good price, and really nice image.
                                                                      • 34. Re: Informal Poll - Does CS4 work for you?
                                                                        Level 1
                                                                        In my case, I'm finding it to be independant of media type. I've tested with basic 'desktop 640x480' video too, and the pausing every 1-3 seconds for 10 seconds holds true there as well.
                                                                        Problem seems more pronounced on the system with the Quadro card, and more tolerable on the system with the GeForce card, but in both cases, it's unuseable.
                                                                        • 35. Re: Informal Poll - Does CS4 work for you?
                                                                          Problem: Premiere CS4 export of any timeline, using Quicktime codecs, results in highly compressed video of poor quality. I am mostly interested in using Photojpeg codec. The bitrate button is permanently grayed out. The resulting file has 13.5M instead of the expected 200-300M, even though I set the codec's quality to 100%. AfterEffects exports work fine, no problem at all, on the same machine.

System: Quadro6600, Vista Ultimate 64, 4G RAM, 3x 500G SATA RAID 0, Quadro 1500. All latest CS4 updates installed. Quicktime Pro 7.5.5. No other video editor installed. CS4 Premiere installed on a clean system.
                                                                          • 36. Re: Informal Poll - Does CS4 work for you?
                                                                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                                            That's more of an issue that a production stopper, Adrian. If only because Quicktime Pro can always be used to make Quicktime files from Uncompressed or other outputs. (This has, in fact, been the recommended path using Premiere for quite a while.)

As it does appear that you can export, you'd probably be put in to the "it works" camp.

So far, we have 8 working and only 2 not working. Many more people need to weigh in.
                                                                            • 37. Re: Informal Poll - Does CS4 work for you?
                                                                              Level 1
                                                                              Cs4 is working for me with some minor annoyances like random crashing and the AME not writing over existing files. PITA. I can get work done. I am all Mini DV though. Also there are some really annoying Dynamic Link bugs.
                                                                              • 38. Re: Informal Poll - Does CS4 work for you?
                                                                                Level 1
                                                                                Simon, Premiere export does not work, so Premiere does not work. I do not know exactly where the problem resides, but there is a PROBLEM. It is either Premiere, either Media Encoder. You are hardly trying to say that Premiere is working. No, Premiere CS4 does not work as it is supposed to work.

Your English is hardly understandable: are you suggesting that I should use QuickTime Pro to make QuickTime files? Could one import a Premiere timeline in Quicktime Pro and make an export?

To make it clear: I CANNOT EXPORT. The result is ********.
                                                                                • 39. Re: Informal Poll - Does CS4 work for you?
                                                                                  joshtownsend Level 2
                                                                                  Adrian your right quicktime export to photojpeg and animation does not work. At all. Hopefully they will fix this problems and also the problem that resets all the quicktime bitrates you set when exporting from Premiere.

For me the the only quicktime I use constantly is H264 (because you can set it for two passes). That works fine as long as you set the bitrate in AME. But this is the only quicktime that seems to work fine out of Premiere CS4.

It'll get fixed eventually and no is arguing that it sucks. For now just load your project in After Effects instead of AME and render. It's only a few more clicks. Four more clicks actually.

I feel your pain though I've been using AE to render everything now anyway (except for test renders). So I just think about AE as the new AME so I don't get my blood pressure all high.

Jim,
                                                                                  As far a me being the 8 out of ten, in full disclosure I do get crashes now again but I've trained myself not to do the things that make it crash. But if you count being able to render something as working then I guess I should count though.

That said If I didn't shoot P2 footage and find the Media Browser so useful for editing I would not be using CS4 and not be here right now. I would've payed full price if the upgrade was as stable as the last version of CS3 and had only the Media Browser and 'open file in AE' function. The new and improved dynamic link does nothing for me that I couldn't do in CS4. Being able to open a Premiere project in AE DL'ed is a waste because AE can't preview even close to real-time. Also the old dynamic link to Encore that burned a movie straight from Premiere CS3 is missed greatly.

Other than those two feature CS4 is nothing but an embarrassment to an other wise great CS4 product set.
                                                                                  1 2 3 Previous Next