1 2 3 Previous Next 93 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2009 8:38 AM by the_wine_snob

ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped?

Level 1
      Was just editing a video. I have been editing for about 2 hours now and then this error comes up "ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped" and is ordering me to close program. When this program stops, editing in Premiere Pro freezes up and video play back stops. I didnt change any settings. SO im not sure why I would get an error like this all of a sudden.

Using Vista 64 bit home pr.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
        • 1. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped?
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          When? While looking at the screen or while doing something with something at some time? Fill in the details....
          • 2. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped?
            Level 1
            LEts see here... I open up Adobe Premiere Pro cs4. No other tabs are open, just the editer. Right when It opens, I click on my saved project, then I wait for it to load. EVerything loads find...then a second later the error "ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped" comes up. So i click end process which doesn't shut the editor down, but dissallows me to edit anything... so basically it crashes the program.... So(tried to see whats going on) I have gone into the "Task Manager"...into my processes right when premiere opens up and clicked "end Procces" on "ImporterProcessServer.exe", When that happens, all video files in my project become watermarked??or like disappear? So this application "ImporterProcessServer.exe", is a very important one when it comes to working with footage.
            Thankyou
            • 3. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped?
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              Try a new project, maybe the saved one is corrupt or contains material that the program does not like.
              • 4. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped?
                Level 1
                I just tried to start a new project. This time it took a minute or two for the error "ImporterProcessServer.exe" to pop up. So it didnt fix the issue..
                • 5. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7
                  A complete reinstall of OS and programs may help.
                  • 6. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped?
                    Level 1
                    True, but wouldnt make since because Vist 64 has been freshly installed a little over 3 weeks ago, and editing software installed around 1 week ago.
                    • 7. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped?
                      Level 1
                      Try searching your installation drive (make sure to enable searching in hidden files & folders) for a file called 'Importer Process Plugin Loading.log' and please post the contents.

Cheers
                      • 8. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped?
                        Sun° Level 1
                        Some suggestions:

- When your project loads, go thru each clip in the bin by pressing the down key. Wait for the thumbnail preview to show for each one then move to the next clip. Do you get the crash on a specific file?

- Open your project (a copy of the original), delete half the clips in your bin, does the error show after those 2 minutes? If not, reopen this copy, and delete the clips you didn't delete before. Keep doing this until you can narrow down which clip(s) is killing Premiere.

- delete the sequences, don't delete the clips in the bin. Still crashes?
                        • 9. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped?
                          Bob Ramage Level 1
                          Interesting. I had a similiar problem today on Premiere Pro CS4 Mac working with EX1 footage (1440 x 1080i). I would edit for a while (anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour), then suddenly the program would lock up and require a force quit. This happened repeatedly. When I started checking the activity monitor periodically, in every case the "ImporterProcessServer" seemed to be the culprit. When the lock-up occurred, the "ImporterProcessServer" CPU usage would go through the roof and it would be using a lot of RAM. I would have to shut it down separately to allow me to start Premiere again.
                          • 10. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped?
                            Level 1
                            Ok Colgate, I will get on that. Also, I just want to inform this for the books and on the Record..... I reinstalled The OS (Vista home Pr. 64Bit) and all the software. Never updated CS4... The error didnt Pop up the first time, but after a little editing and changes to clips (basic featuristic changes) the clips would begin to act all funky like...when clicking on a clip on the timeline to play, but it wouldnt it play its clip,...instead it would play a freeze frame of another clip farther down the timeline... So I restarted, came back... then Boom, "importerprocessserver.exe has stopped" pops up.. Just for the Record. I will get on to what "Colgate" recommended.
                            • 11. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped?
                              ragecgi Level 1
                              Hey Andrew and Adobe, same issue here, but I haven't even gotten to OPEN Premiere Pro yet:(

It gives me the error when I try to OPEN the app. (first open, even after reboot)

I googled, and it looks like everyone is having this issue specifically with any variant of Windows Vista 64bit.

I'm running Win Vista 64bit Ultimate, (8 cores, 16gigs ram yada yada) and everything in my Master Collection works fine EXCEPT Premiere:(

For now to get my work done, I'm having to go back to our Avid.

Please Adobe, fix this ASAP.
                              • 12. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped?
                                Bob Ramage Level 1
                                I'm having the problem with Mac OS X so it's not just a Vista problem.
                                • 13. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped?
                                  ragecgi Level 1
                                  WOW! Really? Sorry I missed your post.
                                  Good to know Bob, thanks for letting us know.
                                  • 14. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped?
                                    Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                                    Got the same message to day after quiting and saving a HDV project.
                                    Clean install and all Adobe's update's (Production Premium) on Vista 64.

Will, looked for your .log file but no where to be found.
                                    • 15. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped?
                                      Bob Ramage Level 1
                                      I found the solution in my case. It seems that Premiere Pro doesn't like having the default BPAV folder for EX1 footage named anything but BPAV. I had used the names BPAV1 and BPAV2. I noticed that PPro CS3 wouldn't import the BPAV1 footage (declaring mp4 footage as "not supported"). When I renamed the BPAV1 folder to "BPAV" the footage imported correctly to CS3.

Suspecting a similar problem in CS4, I opened up the project that had been causing the "ImporterProcessServer" freezes/crashes. Since the source folder had been renamed from BPAV1 to BPAV I had to manually relink all of the EX1 footage - a royal pain. It was worth it in the end though, as it appears to have solved the problem. Footage plays very smoothly and despite my best efforts I haven't been able to provoke a freeze or crash.

Seems like the "ImporterProcessServer" is somewhat fragile. For anyone having problems with EX1 footage I would recommend making sure you use the default folder structure as originally transferred from the SxS cards.
                                      • 16. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped?
                                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                                        I understand that same caution applies for P2 and AVCHD footage as well. Basically all solid state media. While the lack of capture is nice, it seems that solid state does have it's disadvantages when it comes to the files themselves and how they're treated outside of the NLE.

Too bad. There was an opportunity here to only make things better, instead of making part of it better and part of it worse.
                                        • 17. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped?
                                          joshtownsend Level 2
                                          I've shot 40+ hours of P2 on the same cards over two years and never had a problem. Even CS4 reads them fine (EXCEPT FOR THE 24P PROBLEM!!!!).
                                          • 18. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped?
                                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                                            I was referring to the fact that you don't get single files as you do with DV, which can be renamed as you see fit, moved around, etc. I understand you pretty much need to keep the folder structure intact for solid state media. That part is the step backwards.
                                            • 19. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped?
                                              joshtownsend Level 2
                                              Disagree. One word meta-data. No need to rename files.

You can't fit four audio tracks on a single avi file and also you also can't add the date,time,shooter ect. And you can move P2 files everywhere. Trust me I do it all the time. Oh yeah you pick the thumbnail. Add voice notes.

No stepping backwards there. And your wrong about them having to stay in the folder structure. You can seperate the MXF files from there folder.

Consolidate the project with Adobe and the mxf are copied from their file structure and put together all in a single folder just like they were avi files.
                                              • 20. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped?
                                                Bob Ramage Level 1
                                                Another thought. The project I had been working on originated in CS3. When I upgraded, I opened it in CS4 to continue work. I did the same with another DV project. in both cases, I noticed that performance seemed sluggish compared to CS3. And of course eventually I started getting the "ImporterProcessServer" freezes/crashes with the EX1 project.

As I mentioned, when I renamed the "BPAV1" folder to "BPAV", I had to manually re-import and link all of the EX1 footage. It's possible that it was this process which inadvertently solved my problem, and that it was the translation from CS3 to CS4 which caused it.

After I had reimported the footage, the freezes/crashes stopped and CS4's performance became fast and smooth. I noticed however, that two previously edited multi-cam sequences were screwed up. Edit points no longer made sense and clips had shifted mysteriously.

Bottom line: it's possible that the conversion process from projects created in older versions of PPro to CS4 doesn't work correctly, and can lead to the "ImporterProcessServer" problem.
                                                • 21. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped?
                                                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                  >No need to rename files.

Need isn't the issue. Want is. My current workflow allows me to rename the individual DV files as I see fit; to move them around to any folder or folders I please and still have them work in Premiere. That ability is lost with solid state media. For me, that's a step back. It may not be enough of a step back to keep me from using solid state media, but it is a wanted ability that is lost.

I'm just saying that there was an opportunity to make such media only better, but instead they made it better in some ways, and worse in others.

>You can't fit four audio tracks on a single avi file

Maybe not, but you can fit video, audio, timecode and other metadata into a single .mxf file. This is precisely what the .mxf format was designed for.

>And you can move P2 files everywhere.

Hmm. I was under the impression that if you took the individual files out of their respective folders, Premiere would no longer work properly with the media. Is that not so?

>Consolidate the project with Adobe

I'm talking about outside of the NLE, using Explorer for the task it was designed for, folder navigation and file management.
                                                  • 22. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped?
                                                    joshtownsend Level 2
                                                    "I'm talking about outside of the NLE, using Explorer for the task it was designed for, folder navigation and file management."

You can. It's called metadata and it's included on the XLM file in the comes with every clip. You do an explorer search and it will come up, if you renamed the clip's metadata name (which you can do on imgest with a P2 program, latter when logging or even when your in your NLE timeline.

Also if you really don't like using metadata you can rename Consolidate and click the checkbox 'rename files' to what you called them in project window. It'll then create new mxf files all the in the same folder. And you can even trim them and handles on them.

Jim you can open MXF files in Adobe if the are pulled out the P2 folder, you just lose metadata. Which is great for searching in explorer or the NLE.

I hate using dv now man. I honestly would charge extra to edit a DV tape than to edit DV on P2. Especially DV because it's so small I can burn what 17 minutes on a single DVD. That's what I've been doing lately when I'm just a paid shooter for DV and it SAVES SO MUCH TIME.

P2 cards are amazing considering they were the first mass produced solid state media. I think what they did is brilliant. The pro's need metadata, it's the way of the future and MXF's can't be searched liked XML's so there was a need for P2 to be more than single filed.

Upgrade your 2.0 and come into the future Jim, it isn't that bad.
                                                    • 23. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped?
                                                      > Bottom line: it's possible that the conversion process from projects created in older versions of PPro to CS4 doesn't work correctly, and can lead to the "ImporterProcessServer" problem.

My project came from CS3. Imported the project into a new project, did some fiddling about, saved, quit and so far no ImporterProcessServer.exe message. So fingers crossed.
                                                      • 24. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped?
                                                        Level 1
                                                        I am telling you that this program is full of bugs and not ready to use. It's impossible to do work with it cause it hangs and crushes all the time and not working properly. Can not use media encoder. At the beginning it worked ok but after couple of days I can just open it and look it (how nice it looks like) but it does not encore at all any more. I don't know what to do. Ask money back? Sue Adobe? Hopeless.
                                                        • 26. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped?
                                                          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional
                                                          >Ask money back?

Choice #1
                                                          >Sue Adobe?

Choice #2
                                                          >I don't know what to do

My guess is that you would have more success with Choice #1.
                                                          • 27. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped?
                                                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                            I'm afraid your explanation didn't help me much, Josh. Though I do appreciate the effort.

What I am talking about here is first having a single file containing all relevant data - video, audio, timecode, meta, etc. There would be one file per clip (meaning no spans). You'd be able to move those files to any folder or even multiple folders using Explorer. You'd be able to rename the actual files to anything you want using Explorer. And even after all of this, you'd be able to import any or all of those files into Premiere and have them work.

That is what we get with DV. That is what we should still have with solid-state media.

Now is it your contention that this is so with P2?
                                                            • 28. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped?
                                                              shooternz Level 6
                                                              It doesnt work that way Jim so you are out of luck. Stick with DV.
                                                              • 29. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped?
                                                                > Bottom line: it's possible that the conversion process from projects created in older versions of PPro to CS4 doesn't work correctly, and can lead to the "ImporterProcessServer" problem.
                                                                My project came from CS3. Imported the project into a new project, did some fiddling about, saved, quit and so far no ImporterProcessServer.exe message. So fingers crossed.

Hmmmmm, spoke to soon.
                                                                • 30. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped?
                                                                  Bob Ramage Level 1
                                                                  Ann,

I would suggest taking your clips offline, then relinking them.
                                                                  • 31. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped?
                                                                    I will give it a try.
                                                                    • 32. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped?
                                                                      Level 1
                                                                      How could this ImportProcessserver just come out of no where... If one is editing clips for hours...all the clips are on the timeline...no more importing, and then the error pops up and Haults!!!you from all premiere editing, then how can this error be prevented. Someone said "fragile" I believe and thats what most of these extra devices are that come attached to premiere. As of now, I just got the problem/error again. and its not letting me back into my project.
                                                                      • 33. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped?
                                                                        Bob Ramage Level 1
                                                                        Hey Andrew,

Did you ever find the file named 'Importer Process Plugin Loading.log' that Wil mentioned and asked you to post?

Also, out of curiosity, was the project you are working on created in CS3 or was it a CS4 project from the start? What kind of footage are you working with?
                                                                        • 34. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped?
                                                                          Level 1
                                                                          When I type that 'Importer Process Plugin Loading.log' into search, nothing comes up. I located where the application is (ImporterProcessServer.exe), but no luck finding that file..Any help on that would be nice.

No CS3 here. Has all been in CS4. What tunes me up, is that the error seems to just come out of no where...like it has its own mind pursay. The files Im currently working with are Video clips (.avi) and have actually been filmed with using the program "Xfire." Yes, my project is filled with video game footage filmed right off the PC. The files are saved in my videos folder right off the C:
                                                                          • 35. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped?
                                                                            Bob Ramage Level 1
                                                                            To find the "Importer Process Plugin Loading.log" file I think you have to make sure to enable searching of hidden files and folders.

Not sure why CS4 would have a problem with your Xfir avi's. Incompatible codec perhaps? Probably best to contact technical support.
                                                                            • 36. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped?
                                                                              Level 1
                                                                              Hey Bob. I'm feeling really stupid right now. this ".log" file....after enabled seach for hidden folders, I go and search for "Importer Process Plugin Loading.log," and so far I can't find it. I know its there because others have been able to get into it. I'm thinking it would be under Adobe/Premiere Pro's folder somewhere? Is there a specific place I should be looking? Thanks man.
                                                                              • 37. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped?
                                                                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                                                                >It doesnt work that way Jim so you are out of luck. Stick with DV.

Well...I'm not saying the current method is enough to keep me away. I'm just saying that solid-state media could have been only an improvement. Instead we got some things bettered and some made worse.
                                                                                • 38. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped?
                                                                                  Bob Ramage Level 1
                                                                                  Hi Andrew,

Not sure where that file is. I couldn't find it on my system either.
                                                                                  • 39. Re: ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped?
                                                                                    joshtownsend Level 2
                                                                                    "Instead we got some things bettered and some made worse." Sounds like your talking about Premiere 4 but that couldn't be the case because you don't use it. It's only your opinion that non-tape formats are worse than dv in anyway.

You use dv and Premiere 2.0 yet post constantly on a CS4 board (why are you so scared to install the demo?). You don't like HDV or AVCHD, have problems with P2 cards because they contain more than one file. I don't understand you at all. Hell I don't understand why I let myself get baited into defending tapeless media.
                                                                                    1 2 3 Previous Next