10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2008 5:40 AM by TradeWind

AME project files

shooternz Level 6
      Where do the AME Project Files get stored?
        • 1. Re: AME project files
          joshtownsend Level 2
          There's is no such thing as an AME project file. You mean project settings or temp files? AME is kinda mysterious to me.

When I couldn't update my AME on when the update came out. Just for fun I copied and replaced the whole folder from another computer whose update did work. And it workeds just fine.

Seems like everything is pretty self contained but on Premiere you do have the option to set video encoding before the program is even open. I'd like to know more about how the program works, how and why it renders different than After Effects.

Sorry rambled there what do mean exactly? Maybe - Edit - prefernces - check the box that says 'output file to'.....myabe?
          • 2. Re: AME project files
            shooternz Level 6
            The AME uses .ppj files (named the same as your Project) Every Encode creates a new one incrementally numbered upwards. It says Loading pppj just before it starts an encode.

It is also how AME does a re encode of an item already in the encoder. eg Duplicate /Settings - this reloads from the specific ppj file.
            • 3. Re: AME project files
              joshtownsend Level 2
              where are the .ppj files then. I've never seen one. I did a search and couldn't find any on the hard drive. Is something going over my head. You sure it was a dll or something AME was loading?
              • 4. Re: AME project files
                shooternz Level 6
                The Encoder tells you it is loading these files. They relate to each and every encode because AME treats this function as a project it seems.
                • 5. Re: AME project files
                  joshtownsend Level 2
                  I don't know, good luck, I did a full search on my system and found nothing maybe you'll have better luck. Sure it isn't just a file used for the project?

Are you saying it's a project file (like there are in premiere and AE ect) for AME? And you want to know where they're saved for what reason?

I'm as curious about AME as anyone but still confused about what exactly your trying to find and why.
                  • 6. Re: AME project files
                    shooternz Level 6
                    I did 53 separate flv encodes this morning from one Project. Each encode generated a ppj file. (That was 53 ppj files)

I want to know where they are firstly and then if/when/how they get deleted.
                    • 7. Re: AME project files
                      Colin Brougham Level 6
                      Craig,

In AME, after you've sent your PPro timeline there, hover over it's entry in the "Source Name" column. You'll see a ToolTip that will give you the path. On my system, it's:

C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~\Temp\filename.prproj

Yeah, gibberish. In other words:

C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Local Settings\Temp

You can either head there with Explorer, or open a Run command and type in:

b %tmp%

That will automagically open your temp files folder. Feel free to trash everything, though some files won't get deleted, because you might have programs using them. It's a good idea to do this once in awhile, anyway.

HTH
                      • 8. Re: AME project files
                        joshtownsend Level 2
                        Oh you meant temp files...sorry I actually had just erased my temp files before i did a the search. That's must be why I didn't see them.
                        • 9. Re: AME project files
                          shooternz Level 6
                          I actually meant .ppj files. Thats what they are. Now I need to work out how "temporary" they are because these could grow into a large number of files over time. (eg 53 + today only)

Thanx Colin.
                          • 10. Re: AME project files
                            TradeWind Level 3
                            I don't have any .ppj files anywhere (only .prproj).

Once you have done your render in AME you can toss those project files. if it needs them again, it will recreate them. any other temp files....you can always trial-and-error with different ones until you find one that kills your machine :)