16 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2008 7:32 PM by (Mark_Weiss)

After Effects 9.0.1 Is Now Available!

Level 1
      If anybody is interested.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/new.jsp
        • 1. Re: After Effects 9.0.1 Is Now Available!
          fuaho Level 1
          I for one won't be upgrading until I find out if this patch eliminates the ablity to "Export\Make Movie." After all the problems everyone is having with AME, if they've changed it to only Export\Media like Premiere, they'll have lost me as a customer!

@tlc51369:

Can you report back on any such changes when you get a chance?

TIA,
          • 2. Re: After Effects 9.0.1 Is Now Available!
            Level 1
            I am waiting also. I want to see if anybody else finds it useful!
            • 3. Re: After Effects 9.0.1 Is Now Available!
              joshtownsend Level 2
              Thank god!!!!! I can play with red footage now.
              • 4. Re: After Effects 9.0.1 Is Now Available!
                joshtownsend Level 2
                Didn't fix much except for that annoying auto-save error.

Here's the link tp the Red adobe plug-in. Google some footage and play with jit. Amazing....(hopefully)

http://www.red.com/support/download/105

Miscellaneous performance improvements with MediaCore video formats.

General improvements to Dynamic Link workflows.

Mocha AE doesnt read v210 QuickTime files correctly. (49015)

On some systems, the application may suspend rendering when the display turns off due to power management or screen saver settings. (49146)

All Render Queue items are removed when opening or importing a saved project in which the first item has no comment, but other Render Queue items have comments. (49186)

Crash using Open Layer when multiple layers are selected if one of the selected layers does not have a source or has a collapsed transformation. (49207)

Auto-save is marking a project as saved; user can close project without being prompted to save changes, and multiprocessing can return old frames. (49209)

(Windows only) Custom eyedroppers in keying effects pick up wrong colors when clicked in custom thumbnail. (49248)

Exposure effect: negative offset values render garbage/underflow in 8bpc and 16bpc. (49294)

Puppet Tool: For a 3D layer, results are being clipped to layer bounds. (49267)

Importing a still sequence via Recent Footage imports only a single still instead of a sequence. (49265)

For some OpenGL effects in 32bpc projects, overbright colors are getting clipped. (1893997)

When the Write XMP IDs to Files on Import option is selected, MediaCore playback can make some files appear out of sync. (1880742)

Application may appear to hang for several minutes Reading XMP markers from footage (status message) with files that contain deeply nested metadata. (1874477)
                • 5. Re: After Effects 9.0.1 Is Now Available!
                  joshtownsend Level 2
                  Man RED footage is running smooth. I'm amazed at how much play you have with it in After effects. Just jaw dropping sfuff. You download native files here in 2k and 4k. http://www.redrelay.net
                  • 6. Re: After Effects 9.0.1 Is Now Available!
                    fuaho Level 1
                    @Josh:

Can you confirm that you can still use Composition Export "Make Movie" to export from AEFX after the update and that it has not crippled the program with AME export only, like Premiere?

TIA,
                    • 7. Re: After Effects 9.0.1 Is Now Available!
                      joshtownsend Level 2
                      No everything is cool with AE cs4. It is a huge update though.
                      • 8. Re: After Effects 9.0.1 Is Now Available!
                        Level 1
                        >It is a huge update though.

Can you supply the details? What was fixed with Dynamic Link?
                        • 9. Re: After Effects 9.0.1 Is Now Available!
                          joshtownsend Level 2
                          I meant huge like 160 mb or something like that.

I've been correcting RED files in AE and drooling. Not any big fixes in AE. Just stuff I posted. BTW This from the RED workflow. Being able to grade red footage is a so much fun. If you ever wondered what it was like to color a 35mm film download RED clip then correct it. It's amazing how far you can push the picture and it never gets grainy or breaks up.

"You can use a Premiere Pro sequence as footage in After Effects. In After Effects, choose the File > DynamicLink menu command. In After Effects, you'll get a single linked clip that represents the duration of your Premieresequence, but you won't see all your individual cuts and clips (you still can access these in Premiere and continue editing there, and they'll be updated in After Effects). Premiere Pro sends a complete frame with all effects,transitions, etc...nothing is lost.
                          Another advantage to using a Dynamic Link from Premiere Pro to After Effects is that you can then use AfterEffect's render queue to export to a wide variety of image sequences and formats: 4k, 2k, extended color rangeDPX, 16-bit Tiff, TGA, etc.. Initial tests have shown this option to be faster and more robust than using AdobeMedia Encoder. This workflow is pretty straightforward---complete your edit in Premiere, then as a last step,import the sequence into After Effects, add to render queue and export."
                          • 10. Re: After Effects 9.0.1 Is Now Available!
                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                            >It's amazing how far you can push the picture and it never gets grainy or breaks up.

The advantage of shooting RAW.
                            • 11. Re: After Effects 9.0.1 Is Now Available!
                              Level 1
                              Thanks for the info Josh...I just hope they fix that annoying bug with Dynamic Link. The one where if you use the same clip in two different After Effects projects that if you change one that the other project updates also even though they are totally separate files.
                              • 12. Re: After Effects 9.0.1 Is Now Available!
                                joshtownsend Level 2
                                I don't know why your having Dynamic link problems. It's works fine for me. Just update and see if it fixes your problem. Don't be scared all the renders are there.
                                • 13. Re: After Effects 9.0.1 Is Now Available!
                                  fuaho Level 1
                                  Just tried to run the update and I get a message that Bridge is running and needs to be closed to continue. Irritatingly, Bridge is not running.

So I tried again. This time with Bridge open & when I got the error message, I closed Bridge...to no avail.

It's stuff like this that greatly diminishes one's trust that the programs actually work when Adobe can't even get their updates to install.

Remember AME 4.0.1...???
                                  • 14. Re: After Effects 9.0.1 Is Now Available!
                                    Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                                    Exit the bridge in the tray (or what ever you call it, right bottom corner) then you will be able to install the update.
                                    • 15. Re: After Effects 9.0.1 Is Now Available!
                                      fuaho Level 1
                                      Ann,

That did it!

Thanks for the help.

Bill
                                      • 16. Re: After Effects 9.0.1 Is Now Available!
                                        Level 1
                                        I wonder when there will be an update for Premiere CS4 that fixes the UI freeze problem on quad-core systems with nVidia graphics cards?