2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2008 1:25 PM by shooternz

I have new hardware, now I need software, which CS?  3, 3.3 or 4?

Many thanks to you who contribute on the Forum, for giving me the foresight I need to make informed purchase decisions regarding hardware and OS for the best desktop editing experience. For the last weeks I have been gathering the hardware components. This is what my hardware looks like now:

AMD Quadcore 9500 (2.2 GHz)
      8 GB DDR2 800 MHz ram
      Nvidia 8800GT Graphics Card
      Window Vista Home Premium 64bit
      OS drive: 640 GB 7200 rpm 3.0/Gbs
      Capture drive: 500 GB 7200 rpm 3.0/Gbs
      Media drive: 1 TB 7200 rpm 3.0/Gbs (external E-sata)

Next, I have buy my Adobe software. When I started using Premiere (4.0?) there were no forums and technical support had its limits (severe limits). I was content with my old version of Premiere until my computer died. My new laptop came with Windows Vista and my old software will not load, so I will buy a full version of the new software (my old software, Premiere 7 does not qualify me to uprade).

I am not planning an Epic movie or getting paid to make independently produced commercials for television. I earn money to support my hobby shooting weddinging photography. I would like to upgrade my equipment and skills to make wedding videography a viable second income.

Currently I am shooting standard definition MiniDV and capturing, but I want to upgrade my Videocam (looking at DVX100B).

My belief from reading the Forum is that my hardware is sufficient to run CS3 or CS4. I have the option of purchasing CS3, CS3.3 or CS4. The economic principle of scarce resources and unlimited wants bears here as I want software, hardware and camera. The hardware purchase is done, I have a working camera, so priority now at the cross road of cost benefit analysis is regarding which version of Creative Suite. I can buy a copy or CS3 or CS3.3 for half the cost of CS4.

I have a full version of Photoshop CS3, so I can upgrade to CS4 Production for $1099. For not much more I can get Master Collection CS3.3, which would allow me create web content. After reading Jim's poll about whether CS4 works or not, I am unsure which choice would be best. What to do?
        • 1. Re: I have new hardware, now I need software, which CS?  3, 3.3 or 4?
          Jim_Simon Level 8
          (See guys, this is exactly why I wanted to draw the line at whether or not you can get the job done using CS4. All software will have issues at one point or another. You can't draw the line at does it work perfectly and expect the results to mean anything. The bottom line for potential customers is can they actually produce and collect that paycheck.

When I left the poll the tally was 11 for whom it works, and only 2 for whom it doesn't. That's pretty encouraging. What the hell did you guys do after I left to make Jeffery have to ask this question?)
          • 2. Re: I have new hardware, now I need software, which CS?  3, 3.3 or 4?
            shooternz Level 6
            Like you Jim..he maybe be better off sticking with CS2 or CS33 considering what he is going to do with it.

You guys work at a different level and your needs are less than some and maybe more than a hobbyist. DV is simple and easy to edit so stick with the package that is proven and relatively hassle free.

Anyone seriously checking out if CS4 "works" for them and their hardware should Trial it and get some hands on. Asking here is of no real value because everyone is having different experiences.